Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale with transfer to Port of Miami

CatieM80

Hi all! My husband, 2 year old daughter and I are taking a cruise that leaves out of the port of Miami, but we are going to fly into Ft. Lauderdale the day before. Does anyone know of a hotel that provides a transfer to the Port of Miami? Or just any general recommendations for flying into Ft. Lauderdale for a Miami cruise are appreciated too! Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Come over to the portion of Cruise Critic dedicated to Florida, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

You will see many people do what you are talking about. FYI, it is a 40 or minute drive from Ft Lauderdale to Port of Miami, so no one is providing a free shuttle. There are many hotels and shuttles recommended over there, but none are free.

Check out the hotels on Dania Beach. The shuttles to Miami are not free.

We have stayed at SpringHill Suites in Dania Beach several times. Nice hotel, pool, breakfast in the morning. They pick us up at FLL and take us to the ship!

We have stayed at SpringHill Suites in Dania Beach several times. Nice hotel, pool, breakfast in the morning. They pick us up at FLL and take us to the ship!

In Miami? For free? Are you sure? Or are you saying SAS picked you up for a fee and took you to Miami. Or are you saying this hotel has a free shuttle to Port Everglades?

Book with SAS if you are flying into FLL and sailing from Port of Miami. It's $15 per person - you must make reservations because they get full! Make return reservations too...don't make my mistake...I thought "no big deal, we'll figure something out" well we did...a taxi! $80 back to FLL from POM ...the taxi driver wasn't happy either, he probably makes a lot more just doing a few 15 minute back & forth trips to Miami International :(

Thank you all for the suggestions! We are now considering just flying into Miami. The airline we were originally looking at only flies into Ft. Lauderdale but we are looking at other airlines now. However, if we end up going with Ft. Lauderdale, I will for sure reserve SAS for transport to the port and back to the airport after the cruise. Thanks again for the great suggestions! Also, will post any more questions in the Florida Departures board. :)

That's quite a trek....no "free" shuttles! SAS is your best bet...google them!

I also recommend SAS. They were so wonderful and organized for our trip. They picked us up from the airport and took us to our hotel in Miami since we decided to stay there instead of making the trip the morning of the cruise.

We stayed at the Homewood suites near FLL airport. They offered a cruise package which included pick-up from FLL to the hotel and then transport to the Port of Miami the following morning. It was very convenient!

Are you sure it was Port of Miami and not Port Everglades that they shuttled you to? Curious because that's quite a long haul for free...

To the OP: I would not be concerned about flying into FLL vs. MIA, either will work; and if you fly Southwest you get to check two bags each for free :)

Are you sure it was Port of Miami and not Port Everglades that they shuttled you to? Curious because that's quite a long haul for free...

To the OP: I would not be concerned about flying into FLL vs. MIA, either will work; and if you fly Southwest you get to check two bags each for free :)

Yep- it was Miami. Here is the link if it will work : http://homewoodsuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/homewood-suites-by-hilton-ftlauderdale-airport-cruise-port-FLLARHW/offers/100038838.htm?cid=OH,HW,fllar,CruiseMiamiRRR

I believe that the cost of the shuttle is part of the room fee. You can opt out it if you wish and pay a lower room fee.

SW is what we have been looking at (they only fly into FLL) and for some reason their fares are so high on the trip out there! It's cheaper to fly another airline even with baggage fees, so I think we will just fly into Miami. Thanks for the suggestions on the hotel though! If for some reason the airfare goes down in the next week or so and we end up in FLL, I will check it out for sure!