Quantum First Cruise - Impressions from Many Reporters

iFly is less expensive to do at one of their land based locations. (but still not cheap) We have one locally, and have never been. https://sfbay.iflyworld.com/

So it is probably a fun thing to do on vacation...but we probably wouldn't...because we have one locally...It is one of those loops. :D

Interesting website. For those that are curious, it appears the land based cost is $59.95 for two one minute flights for beginners.

Edited by EmTeeNesters

I posted the coverage map on here, much like a cell company, they can say "national" or "global" coverage if they cover a certain percentage of the world, which they do, but they have never claimed that.

O3B will be available not far out from Bayonne on the current cruise and will be available all the time on Caribbean and Asian itineraries.

Agree. Thanks for posting the map so others can see it too.

It appears the Mediterranean is in play too, which may be a consideration as future Quantum ships get released and routes moved around.

Circling back to the main topic...

I would anticipate that this first cruise on Quantum will provide RCI with a great deal of information in terms of tweaks and improvements. Since Anthem is under construction, they could easily apply those there as well.

So the feedback (positive or negative) is all useful in terms of helping RCI to maximize the cruise passenger experience on the Quantum class ships.

The one impression takeaway from nearly all of the posts referenced is that the staff/crew is working very hard to satisfy the passengers on Quantum's maiden voyage. Kudos for that.

Others have posted those sentiments as well.

Since Quantum will be only 1 season in Bayonne and then off to China...looks like Anthem will be the next candidate to meet your needs.

I don't believe Anthem will be going out of Florida either. She'll probably be year round of NJ (Taking Quantum's original place), and then Ovation will split her time between Southampton and Fort Lauderdale (taking Anthem's original place). Just my guess.

iFly is less expensive to do at one of their land based locations. (but still not cheap) We have one locally, and have never been. https://sfbay.iflyworld.com/

So it is probably a fun thing to do on vacation...but we probably wouldn't...because we have one locally...It is one of those loops. :D

From everything I've read, and like another poster said, iFly is free on board. From a Q&A I read, if you want to go again, you can reserve another spot after your current reservation for free. If you want to reserve additional minutes before you even go once, then it's about $50 for each additional minute. That seems fair.

And I have to say, so far all the negative aspects that people have mentioned are either pretty small/specific things, or things that are going to be fixed for future sailings. No kids menu? They just didn't start with one (makes sense, it's a pretty small thing compared to making sure they don't hit an iceberg, like another famous first transatlantic journey), but they've already changed that. Lines for North Star? Well there was bad weather. Slow internet? Ship wasn't in part where there was better internet coverage. And bad weather makes people cranky. Even if the ship was heaven bad weather can put a negative twist on everything. And she's sailing for the very first time, so things won't be perfect from the get go. And I for one think it must be great since all the complaints are for what I think are small things. They haven't run out of food, the ship hasn't fallen apart, everything mostly works. Like, the north star hasn't fallen into the ocean. It's great.

But we'll see how Quantum really is after a few sailings. Right now there is just too little data to go on for anyone to make a final judgement.

I don't believe Anthem will be going out of Florida either. She'll probably be year round of NJ (Taking Quantum's original place), and then Ovation will split her time between Southampton and Fort Lauderdale (taking Anthem's original place). Just my guess.

Likely so,unless the move things around again.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

I posted this earlier on the main thread, everyone off after half hour, but I'm wondering will Royal get it fixed to show off on arrival...

NORTH STAR STUCK IN THE AIR with people I kid you not! They have people trying to get it down, stuck for last 10 minutes!<br />

33ccb2af6fb13ac4abd484f66866ec4f.jpg<br/>

If this lasts for more than four hours, consult a physician:D

I always find it funny when people say that a ship is "inward focused" and there is no connection to the ocean.

Every ship we have been on, including Allure, had plenty of places with ocean views. By the pool, in the solarium, on our balcony, a window table at dinner, the AquaTheatre, etc. If you want to connect with the ocean, then seek out these places.

Yes, there is an emphasis on indoor activities too, which we appreciated because it gave us something to do at night or when the weather wasn't conducive to swimming or sitting outside. But to say that there is no focus on the ocean at all is simply not accurate.

The problem with those places is that they are all (except for the window table at dinner, if you can get one) outside. So they aren't always desirable in all types of weather.

The problem with those places is that they are all (except for the window table at dinner, if you can get one) outside. So they aren't always desirable in all types of weather.

As mentioned before, Oasis class is an outdoor sunny weather class of ship, whereas Quantum class is designed for cooler environments so there are more indoor spaces with sea views

Well...the "Today Show" brief segment this morning showed off some nice video clips of Quantum...including the SeaPlex.

In any case, we'll see what "lessons learned" take root from all the reports to RCI about the Transatlantic journey for future Quantum cruises, the ship itself, and even Anthem.

Happy sailing.

Nope. Look at pictures of it. It has openings in the roof.

Quantum Solarium is fully enclosed.

Oasis and Allure has openings along with Solarium Bistro having outdoor section open to the elements at times.

Quantum Divinly Decadence at Solarium Bistro is enclosed from the Solarium with no seating in open solarium area. Guests are seated breakfast, lunch and dinner unlike Oasis and Allure were seating at breakfast and lunch involves finding best available seating.

Thanks Henry.

I actually read your post twice with great interest, and found your observations intriguing on several fronts.

The concept that cruises should offer the chance for relaxation and spontaneous activities (in contrast to rigid schedule and vigorous/regimented planning) is likely shared by many other fellow cruisers.

But we do actually prefer the larger ships in general...because they simply have more options of what to do onboard. We continue to be pleasantly surprised at a lack of waiting in most cases.

What comes into play is that with larger ships, and with the addition of "attractions" is the potential for lines and wait times.

Our experiences on multiple bigger ships is that despite a lot of passengers, long lines aren't that common. There is also the opportunity for plenty of "spontaneity", especially with more and more to do onboard. Even popular activities like Flowrider on INDY earlier this year rendered lines no more than 6-8 people most times we passed by.

That said...in the case of Quantum...almost everything is new...so lines are expectedly longer. A year or two from now, once the newness of Ripcord and Northstar wears off a bit, and the staff's experience grows, access will likely be quicker and more open.

But in the end, your overall main point is well taken.

I am also concerned about the rigid scheduling/planning required on the Quantum. I prefer doing what I feel like at the moment, but we are trying the Quantum in 3 months. Time will tell if we continue cruising on this type of ship.

I am also concerned about the rigid scheduling/planning required on the Quantum. I prefer doing what I feel like at the moment, but we are trying the Quantum in 3 months. Time will tell if we continue cruising on this type of ship.

It would be good to continue to hear from cruisers what their take is from their own firsthand experiences.

So far...there has been a mixed set of feedback...some were very pleased, others felt things were too regimented.

Even more important, as we all cruise, it's good to provide RCI the feedback as opportunities present themselves, including with staff and surveys received.

Quantum Solarium is fully enclosed.

Oasis and Allure has openings along with Solarium Bistro having outdoor section open to the elements at times.

Quantum Divinly Decadence at Solarium Bistro is enclosed from the Solarium with no seating in open solarium area. Guests are seated breakfast, lunch and dinner unlike Oasis and Allure were seating at breakfast and lunch involves finding best available seating.

Yep, that's correct.

I was responding to someone that had stated that the solarium on Allure was enclosed (which it's not).

Edited by time4u2go