Clothing for Alaska cruise

Jasjas

If all goes well, my friend and I, South African ladies in our mid-sixties, will be on a cruise from Seward to Vancouver in September 2015...

I have bought a waterproof rain jacket from a local store and I would like to know if it would be a good idea to shop for the fleece jacket to wear under it, in New York or Anchorage or Seward where we will be spending a few days before the cruise.

Any suggestions on places to find the jacket and maybe some gloves and a warm hat for a reasonable price....I thought it might make a good souvenir if I bought it elsewhere...?

I have a good pair of leather walking shoes..will I need some sturdy boots if we don't plan on doing any adventurous hiking or dog sledding on glaciers... just normal walking in the ports...?

Thanks for your time.

Jasjas.

No need for boots. But spray waterproofing on your shoes. I assume you're bringing a 2nd pr to wear while the other is drying out.

Sept is well past the end of the season so you'll find sales at every port. If you want a fleece pullover or vest, you'll easily find one. I live in the Pacific NW and get a lot of use out of my fleecewear. I wear them when it's cool but not cold enough for a jacket.

The kew is to layer and to realize that the weather in Alaska changes not only year over year but day to day or hour to hour.

A waterproof jacket was a wise purchase. We like to bring a fleece to wear under it or to wear separately depending on the weather. Some will bring a sweater or a sweatshirt instead but we use a fleece.

We bring gloves and a hat and a scarf for days when it is either very cold or windy on land or if we are sailing say off glacier bay.

I would bring either sports shoes or something that is waterproof.

We bring both long and short sleeve shirts and if it is summer we might bring one pair of shorts just in case.

Keith

We are going in July, 2015. Have you ever worn shorts? Or is it a waste of time and luggage space to pack them?

Yes, I've worn shorts.

It's Alaska, you never know. Could be 80 in port and sunny or could be cool, windy and cloudy.

Do this. Check weather a few days before you go. It still could change but at least you would have a feel.

Keith

I have never been accused of being a light packer! :D My husband always gives me a hard time for taking too much. I am always cold but am considering buying a few pair of the hiking pants that you can zip off to shorts. Sounds like this could be a good idea!

I have never been accused of being a light packer! :D My husband always gives me a hard time for taking too much. I am always cold but am considering buying a few pair of the hiking pants that you can zip off to shorts. Sounds like this could be a good idea!

as long as you think you will wear them again. The only thing I ever bought specific for a trip was a rain poncho and now it stays in my daypack for every trip; it can be handy anywhere, anytime. Zip off pants, not so much.

I'm a light packer and Alaska is easy because it's such a casual environment. You only need to change the layer next to your skin every day, so you need 7 tops (or fewer if you hand wash). But you don't need a clean sweatshirt/pullover each day. Who will notice or care that you wore that grey pullover on Monday AND Thursday? So just pack 2 and buy an Alaska sweatshirt or fleece for a souvenier. A couple of jeans, a pr of khakis.

• 2 weeks later...

if you do a dog sled ride on a glacier, the companies will provide boots for you...In Anchorage, the temps can range from the high 50's to maybe 70....If you are in the interior it is not infrequent to be in the 90's....but coastal Anchorage has a temperate climate..and frequently is quite cool...

If all goes well, my friend and I, South African ladies in our mid-sixties, will be on a cruise from Seward to Vancouver in September 2015...

I have bought a waterproof rain jacket from a local store and I would like to know if it would be a good idea to shop for the fleece jacket to wear under it, in New York or Anchorage or Seward where we will be spending a few days before the cruise.

Any suggestions on places to find the jacket and maybe some gloves and a warm hat for a reasonable price....I thought it might make a good souvenir if I bought it elsewhere...?

I have a good pair of leather walking shoes..will I need some sturdy boots if we don't plan on doing any adventurous hiking or dog sledding on glaciers... just normal walking in the ports...?

Thanks for your time.

Jasjas.

You are about as far from Alaska as one can get. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Where in South Africa are you from?

\My DW has a whole group of relatives in Johannesburg and Cape Town.

Cheers

Len

Hallo Len,

I live in Pretoria...one of the most beautiful cities in South Africa...

Yes, Alaska is a long LONG journey for us and also very expensive, but we are counting the days to our trip...

Greetings.

Jasjas.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had many answers and good advice on this question, but i would like to know if i should shop for a fleece top (which will also serve as a souvenir) in anchorage or seward, before our cruise, or should i wait to do so in skagway ... Or what about the clothing sold by alaska railway at their shop in anchorage ?

Any other shops worth looking at in anchorage...?

Thanks again

jasjas.

the cheap souvenir fleece jackets are cheap because they are .......

look for a fleece jacket with a windbrake/windbreak (no one agrees on the spelling). probably not available at souvenir quality. you won't have to wear your raingear to stay warmer when it's breezy but not raining. the lovely mrs b-d includes a windbrake in the wool caps she knits for me.

this does not mean you don't have to have a waterproof outer layer. yes, waterproof, gortex does not work in high humidity environments. well it works, but the water vapor/humidity outside of your jacket will try to equalize with the humidity level inside your jacket. foggy on the outside, foggy on the inside.

Edited by bottom-dragger