Observer permitted in culinary class?

ohmark

Sadly, no. You can watch from the window outside the room, but not inside. Get on the waiting list so perhaps you can join in the fun.

Wasn't told about a waiting list. Do you mean pre-cruise waiting list or after embarkation?

The original intention was seemingly to allow, or even encourage, visitors and other observers in the Culinary Center, but there must have been some untoward behavior (something that the Staff is never at liberty to share), because the observation seating was removed, suddenly and without fanfare, during the first operational season, and visitors of any kind have been a no no, ever since.

If you pour on the charm, it would not hurt to ASK, I suppose, but I would not count my chickens....so to speak. :rolleyes:

If only one gets a place....only one gets in.... No tikee no Entry...no how

Simple as that..

No need for that kind of answer. Poster was asking about waiting list and can he do it pre cruise or at embarkation. He is already very well aware of "no tikee, no entry" that is why he asked about WAITLIST. People sometimes do cancel for a variety of reasons, one may get ill (seasick), one may not get back from a tour in time etc. If someone does not show 5 minutes before the class they relinquish their spot so someone on the waitlist just may get a spot. "Simple as that!!":rolleyes:

To poster: I am not sure if you can get put on list pre-cruise but certainly try when you get onboard. Your TA might know.

I can't tell you about waiting lists, but we took a few classes on Marina. People share cooking stations (two per station). I shared with my husband.

The room is crowded and there really isn't room for observers. We enjoyed the classes and we still use the fish cooking method we were taught.

Talk directly to Oceania instead of online for up to the minute information. Call the day before the cut off of sales before the cruise (7 days prior)? And also try when you get on the ship. Like someone else said, a spot may open at any time. You can watch from the window, but just don't drool on the glass - chef may not like that!!!!

We have experienced people showing up at the class and if there were some cancellations or no shows they were accommodated and charged for the class. I agree that there is not enough room for observers and for those of us that have paid it is not fair especially when observers may take up instructors time with questions. Bottom line observers are discouraged.

I appreciate that there are other cooking demonstrations that can be observed and classes that can be purchased.

My recollection is that the "no auditors" rule came into play after people watching the class made so much noise with chatter that the people actually taking the class couldn't hear the instructor. Maybe it wasn't as extreme as that, but it certainly was bothersome. There were a number of comments made on CC about the watchers who did more than watch.

It's always a pity when a few rude people ruin it for others.

Mura

I agree that there is not enough room for observers and for those of us that have paid it is not fair especially when observers may take up instructors time with questions.

If they ask questions, then they are no longer just observers.

We have taken several classes. I don't know how to find out about cancellations. But, I would show up early for the class you are interested in and let the culinary instruction staff know that you are interested in participating. You might get lucky with a cancellation.

The door will be locked once the class starts. There is a lot of movement from cooking stations to the instructor's station. There isn't enough room for extra people. We had several "free loaders" showing up to sample their travel partner's dishes in a class we took a few years ago. I was happy to see that changes were made, and people are no longer able to take advantage.

My recollection is that the "no auditors" rule came into play after people watching the class made so much noise with chatter that the people actually taking the class couldn't hear the instructor. Maybe it wasn't as extreme as that, but it certainly was bothersome. There were a number of comments made on CC about the watchers who did more than watch.

It's always a pity when a few rude people ruin it for others.

Mura

That is my recollection also Mura. On the third sailing on Marina I was the lone observer in a class and really enjoyed sampling the dishes everyone made. I also thought at this time that it really was unfair that these folks paid for class and I was getting the education at their expense but I just went with it. Shortly after this sailing it was decided that because spectators were noisy that they would not be able to observe except thru the window and I think it is a good policy.

I've done 4 classes on 3 different cruises. On my first cruise 2 years ago they did allow observers. On the last cruise I did earlier this year on Marina, they did not allow observers but close to the end of the class, they did allow participates to use the phone in the kitchen to call spouses and friends to come up and share the food that we had just cooked in the class. That was kinda of fun and everyone was free to ask questions and mingle after the class...

I've taken quite a few classes over 2 Cruises on Marina (2013 & earlier this year) and they absolutely didn't let outside people in the class. Some tried to walk in and the instructor asked them to leave immediately (and politely). I think it also might have to do with liability issues, in the same respect you can't remove food from the classroom (oh, and how I wish you could!)

As for the waiting list - two options. Onboard, you just call the culinary center from your stateroom and tell them you want to be added to the list for XYZ. There are often last minute no-shows (shore-ex's that go long, etc.) so it won't hurt to walk up to the class 30 minutes before and let the instructor know you would like to fill up any empty spots if possible. I think they have a 10 minute grace period.

You can also call Oceania and ask them to be added to the waiting list for a class. I haven't done this personally, but have heard of others doing such.