Codes on Cruise Ships

SuiteTraveler

yes ... the codes are not 'standard' across the lines

I always chuckle that most lines use OSCAR for a man overboard .... US Navy and Coast Guard usually call the 'dummy' tossed overboard for a 'man overboard drill' OSCAR altho the drill is not called an OSCAR drill . . .

the 'codes' are not required by the 'rules' btw .... ships use them to try and avoid upsetting the customers. The RULES just require that the ship gets the alert to the crew FAST and the crew knows what to do IMMEDIATELY

I always chuckle that most lines use OSCAR for a man overboard .... US Navy and Coast Guard usually call the 'dummy' tossed overboard for a 'man overboard drill' OSCAR altho the drill is not called an OSCAR drill . . .
It's because you fly the "O" (phonetic = OSCAR) flag when you have a man overboard.

Oscar.jpg

Someone told us on a HAL cruise that "Bright Star" on a Holland America ship meant a death. It was odd, because on that particular cruise we actually heard them use the term.... but have no idea if that's really accurate.

If I'm going out, I'd like to be called a "bright star" as I go........

Here is a Wiki link for some codes.

They vary somewhat between cruise lines and I don't think the list is complete:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vessel_emergency_codes

Thanks for that link. Last week on JOS we had an Alpha, Alpha, Alpha during a cooking demo and all three demonstrators were totally silent until it was over. They were cruise director and cooking staff so they evidently didn't need to answer the call - but we did wonder what it meant.

We were on the Carnival Triumph when they called (IN the cabins at 5 am) "Alpha team, alpha team, engine room one" and it was repeated 3 or so times.

I just KNEW it was a fire...why? Not sure - because they say the worst thing that can happen on a ship is a fire and alpha starts with A? That's what went through my mind...then I started wondering what it would be like to really have to get in the lifeboats and be lowered to the sea...

Luckily we didn't have to evacuate - just had our 4 day cruise extended to 9 because that's how long it took one tug boat to haul us all the way to Mobile!

Someone told us on a HAL cruise that "Bright Star" on a Holland America ship meant a death. It was odd, because on that particular cruise we actually heard them use the term.... but have no idea if that's really accurate.

That's a myth. A Bright Star or similar call is for medical team. At no time is there ever a announcement regarding a death. Once the medical team arrives on scene, they may find a death has occurred but since only the doctor can pronounce a death and they certainly aren't going to make a public announcement afterwards.

IIRC, "Bright Star" on HAL ships means there is an (usually medical) emergency involving life and death and the doctor couldn't be reached on his radio. The medical team will respond immediately.

Scott & Karen

IIRC, "Bright Star" on HAL ships means there is an (usually medical) emergency involving life and death and the doctor couldn't be reached on his radio. The medical team will respond immediately.

Scott & Karen

Yes, It means severe medical emergency on HAL.

I would have to agree that these codes are, I am sure, line or company specific. Someone has already advised that "Oscar" is used for a man overboard, because breaking the Oscar ("O") signal flag is the international flag signal for a man overboard.

In that regard, there are very few international signals that you might see. The Bravo ("B") flag means that they are carrying dangerous cargo or fueling. The Hotel ("H") flag means that there is a pilot on board.

The only other ones you are likely to see are: the Alpha ("A") flag, which is the alternative diver down flag, so you might see it around a port somewhere or near the shore; and the Quebec ("Q") flag which means that the boat (more likely) needs to clear immigration.

While there are other signals, they are not commonly used in real life. What you will encounter are some horn signals, primarily when entering and leaving port. One long (approximately 5 seconds) blast means that there has been a change of status, i.e. "we are now underway" which is used when the ship is no longer tied up. Three short (approximately 1 second) blasts means that the ship's engine are operating astern (in reverse). Five short blasts is the warning signal meaning that some other vessel is doing something which would likely cause a collision if they don't change, or might be used when the captain of one ship doesn't understand what the other ship is doing, and it looks like they might get too close or collide.

There are lots of other signals, etc., but you are unlikely to hear or see any of them. And just to make things more confusing, there are different lights at night for special situations, and during the day there are various "day shapes" which might be hoisted for the same reasons. At this point, we are getting way too deep into it, and you likely couldn't care that much!

One long (approximately 5 seconds) blast means that there has been a change of status

there is no such thing as a long blast ... however both international and US Inland Rules define a 'prolonged blast'

International and US inland rules state that one prolonged blast shall be sounded near a bend or an area of channel or fairway where other vessels may be obscured by an intervening obstruction ... and US Rules ADD that one prolonged blast shall be sounded when leaving a dock or berth . . .

but US just released a rules update so maybe I missed something ... I'm looking at 1993 IMO and US inland as published in 99 ... what I sailed under.

and yes, I forgot that the International code calls for flying OSCAR flag as notification of a Man Over Board .... duh on me . . . we always had OSCAR flag flying at the yardarm, "made up for breaking" . . . old school Navy stuff . . . You fold and wrap the flag in a special way with soft twine such that you can just tug the halyard and 'break' the flag open . .

I would have to agree that these codes are, I am sure, line or company specific. Someone has already advised that "Oscar" is used for a man overboard, because breaking the Oscar ("O") signal flag is the international flag signal for a man overboard.

In that regard, there are very few international signals that you might see. The Bravo ("B") flag means that they are carrying dangerous cargo or fueling. The Hotel ("H") flag means that there is a pilot on board.

The only other ones you are likely to see are: the Alpha ("A") flag, which is the alternative diver down flag, so you might see it around a port somewhere or near the shore; and the Quebec ("Q") flag which means that the boat (more likely) needs to clear immigration.

While there are other signals, they are not commonly used in real life. What you will encounter are some horn signals, primarily when entering and leaving port. One long (approximately 5 seconds) blast means that there has been a change of status, i.e. "we are now underway" which is used when the ship is no longer tied up. Three short (approximately 1 second) blasts means that the ship's engine are operating astern (in reverse). Five short blasts is the warning signal meaning that some other vessel is doing something which would likely cause a collision if they don't change, or might be used when the captain of one ship doesn't understand what the other ship is doing, and it looks like they might get too close or collide.

There are lots of other signals, etc., but you are unlikely to hear or see any of them. And just to make things more confusing, there are different lights at night for special situations, and during the day there are various "day shapes" which might be hoisted for the same reasons. At this point, we are getting way too deep into it, and you likely couldn't care that much!

One long (approximately 5 seconds) blast means that there has been a change of status

there is no such thing as a long blast ... however both international and US Inland Rules define a 'prolonged blast'

International and US inland rules state that one prolonged blast shall be sounded near a bend or an area of channel or fairway where other vessels may be obscured by an intervening obstruction ... and US Rules ADD that one prolonged blast shall be sounded when leaving a dock or berth . . .

but US just released a rules update so maybe I missed something ... I'm looking at 1993 IMO and US inland as published in 99 ... what I sailed under.

and yes, I forgot that the International code calls for flying OSCAR flag as notification of a Man Over Board .... duh on me . . . we always had OSCAR flag flying at the yardarm, "made up for breaking" . . . old school Navy stuff . . . You fold and wrap the flag in a special way with soft twine such that you can just tug the halyard and 'break' the flag open . .

These posts are great. I really enjoy learning this sort of information about ship procedures. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. :)

We were doing a 14 day cruise in 2010 out of Australia on Royal Caribbean when one morning a Alpha code came over the system. After breakfast I went back to my cabin and passed a priest walking down the hallway. I didn't think much of it at the time but by the time we reached day 10 rumors were going around that someone had passed away while in Auckland. You have to remember when sailing on a ship with two to three thousand people deaths do occur. This is just one of the subjects that don't come up when cruising. Tim