Most Quantum room service NOT complimentary

Cruise ships use to offer an experience not found on land. They are taking aspects of a land based AI but charging for it.

The lure of a cruise for me use to be the all inclusive experience, but more sophisticated feel. Now they are taking away the AI, and going down the Golden Coral feel.

Shame.

I love how people seem to think this is "wrong" or a "mistake" by Royal. Really? You think they just wing it? They know what the market will and won't bear, and they've determined that this is a no-brainer. Seriously, cruising in NOT all-inclusive. And as unconscionable as it seems to some of you- Royal is actually in this business to make money.

Really? It's a travesty that you have to pay a MODEST fee to have someone bring food to your room rather than having to take a five minute walk to get it for free? Of all the things to complain about.... This is kind of absurd when you look at the big picture....

Actually they often don't know there market, not unusual in any large business. NCL never charged for room service by item what they were the first to do was charge a $2 charge for room service all hours. Now always give delivery person $2 anyway but they noted that this was NOT paid to the server, was a line charge. That $2 charge had a dramatic impact and they dropped it eventually but that and other things eventually lead them to bankruptcy. This is why NCL now owned by Asian Star and there is not a Norwegian to be found.

They are almost giving away NCL cruises in NY and have been for couple years now. Only way they can book the new ships. Check the prices yourself.

Many of the corporate types in cruise business came from other retail businesses now. Many have never had any real experience with their product.

Only time will tell in the end. I am sailing Quantum over Xmas to see for myself. Then make a decision..concerning my future cruising.

George in NY

Room service menu items should only be for "special" items like shrimp cocktail that are over and above the basic menu items. You want eggs benedict...fine charge for it but not for a hot dog.

It will be interesting once the ship hits Asia to see what they will be charging extra for.

MARAPRINCE

Cruise ships use to offer an experience not found on land. They are taking aspects of a land based AI but charging for it.

The lure of a cruise for me use to be the all inclusive experience, but more sophisticated feel. Now they are taking away the AI, and going down the Golden Coral feel.

Shame.

This is the oroblem exactly. The new management at RCCL is trying to change all of the unique features of cruising to those of a resort hotel experience.

There needs to be a happy medium, leave traditional dining in place for those interested and DD for others.

Charging for room service is dumb. Now people with colds will be more likely to go to the Windjammer instead of paying for lunch.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

This is the oroblem exactly. The new management at RCCL is trying to change all of the unique features of cruising to those of a resort hotel experience.

There needs to be a happy medium, leave traditional dining in place for those interested and DD for others.

Charging for room service is dumb. Now people with colds will be more likely to go to the Windjammer instead of paying for lunch.

Jonathan

While I understand the importance of this issue to some people, I am much more concerned about the horrible member reviews of the Quantum on cruise critic.

We plan on going in March, but if these horrible reviews continue, we might reconsider our plans.

Jonathan

Is the $3.50 service charge after midnight still in effect?

With the WJ operating 24 hrs., do they change the menu according to regular meal times, or is just one menu available all day/night?

MARAPRINCE

Who wants to eat in their room when there are loads of free places to eat and be served anyway?

Have never ordered room service on a ship.

Get out and enjoy yourself.

Lots of people do. Including myself, and believe me, no one will ever accuse me of not "getting out there" and enjoying myself. Many people enjoy having breakfast on their balcony or maybe getting a light snack before dinner. Just because YOU never do doesn't mean others don't enjoy this service. And other than the recently added surcharge for delivery after midnight, there has never been ala carte pricing on RCCL room service menus.

Who wants to eat in their room when there are loads of free places to eat and be served anyway?

Maybe they like room service? Sometimes you just want to relax in your cabin.

Good for you that you won't be affected. Maybe that's why you don't care.

Some of you just have to find something to moan about

What I hear is that there seem to be a multitude of fees throughout the ship. If that is so, why are the prices so expensive. I thought one the lures of a cruise is the "all inclusiveness" of it. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes

Cruises aren't all inclusive

Uh, yes they are. Your cruise fare includes meals and your cabin. You pay extra for cocktails and excursions.

It's the principle of charging now for what has previously been included that is upsetting.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

If you pay for drinks its not all inclusive is it ?

Anyway, if you don't want to pay for it don't order it.

Just saying, the term "complimentary" is used loosely and is slowing fading away

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Uh, yes they are. Your cruise fare includes meals and your cabin. You pay extra for cocktails and excursions.

It's the principle of charging now for what has previously been included that is upsetting.

Jonathan

You must use the term "most inclusive" on these boards. Semantics you know. :rolleyes:

Edited by yj2cute

Haha I am probably the only one that isn't moaning.

How many times do you need to eat ?

The fact you have to actually walk to get some free food might do some of you some actual good.

Don't bypass the salad bar 😉

You are one of the lucky few!

Diabetics need to keep their metablism stable to avoid crashing/passing out. Too many hours without food and taking insulin could pose a dangerous situation.

How about all the sea sick passengers on the TA crossing? Or, someone stricken with Norovirus who is confined to their cabin? Just wondering how the new room service charges would play out. All I am saying is that it is not always possible to go to the WJ to get food if you are not allowed out or cannot make it up to the WJ.

MARAPRINCE

My wife is type 1 diabetic and a size 10 and manages her sugar levels very well.

If you really need carbs for emergencies then relying on room service is a very bad plan.

When you need to increase your sugars a 30 minute wait for a burger isn't the best idea.

How about keeping some bananas from Windjammer in your cabin instead ?

Personally I appreciate getting information like this. I like being prepared, it will make it easier to just say "no" to things like room service breakfast, instead of going in thinking I'm going to get bacon delivered free to my door every day. The more we say "oh, it's just a couple of dollars...no big deal"....the more charges will get tacked on.

My wife is type 1 diabetic and a size 10 and manages her sugar levels very well.

If you really need carbs for emergencies then relying on room service is a very bad plan.

When you need to increase your sugars a 30 minute wait for a burger isn't the best idea.

How about keeping some bananas from Windjammer in your cabin instead ?

I travel with 2 diabetic cabin mates...one on insulin and one not. The one on insulin failed to eat enough to off set the insulin she took before dinner. While we were in the dining room of the QE2 waiting for our appetizers to be delivered, she started to blank out almost falling out of her chair with her hand unable to hold onto her water glass. I alerted the Maitre'd to what was happening and a nurse and wheelchair came to the dining room ASAP. Before they took her to Medical, the nurse tried to stablize her along with the Maitre'd. She was kept over 4 hours in Medical and was checked out by the doctor before she was allowed to return to the cabin. As soon as she did, we made sure to get food from room service.

Ever since then, we always try to insure that when taking her insulin she eats enough to hold her until we get served in the dining room.

MARAPRINCE