Specialty Dining options on The Oasis

Would love to know everyone's favorite specialty dining choice and why ? I am choosing at least one specialty dinner on our February 28th cruise on Oasis because I was given a free one as part of my package, wondering which restaurant to choose, favorite dishes maybe or why you like it best. Much appreciated

If you're only doing one specialty restaurant, and are open to trying new things, I'd highly recommend 150 Central Park. It's upscale & intimate; definitely not your typical cruise dining. The chef changes the menu regularly though so it's next to impossible to recommend a dish. It was our favorite on Allure and is on our "must do" list for our Oasis cruise next year.

150 is amazing. Delicious, gourmet upscale experience and if you have only one specialty experience, 150 would be a Top choice. Our favorite is Solarium Bistro for dinner. Beautiful atmosphere, delicious food with some unique dishes you won't normally find on ship such as seared bison, etc.

All of them are great experiences, you won't be sorry with any of them. Enjoy!

If I could only pick one, it would be Giovanni's Table.

How funny, if I were to pick the one to put at the bottom of the list of specialty dining, Goivanni's would be it. Yes, Giovanni's is cheaper than others but lately the quality of food has not been great IMO.

Here's another vote for 150 as the best pay restaurant. The menu concept recently changed and there are options offered for each course.

Who knows what Wonderland will bring?

I enjoyed Chops while we were on the Oasis last week. I thought Giovanni's was good, but I've had much better Italian. As for lunch, I was really surprised at Sabor. I'm from Texas and love Tex-Mex, so I wasn't expecting much, but it was one of my favorites on the ship.

I used to work for a large restaurant company, so I'm pretty picky.

We are going to try 150 Central Park for the first time next week so for now I would vote for Chops. I've never had a bad meal there.

We've done Giovanni's Table three times and we feel like it's just ok but nothing special. I actually prefer Portofino on the other ships over Giovanni's.

Edited by Yorkvillain

We are going to try 150 Central Park for the first time next week so for now I would vote for Chops. I've never had a bad meal there.

We've done Giovanni's Table three times and we feel like it's just ok but nothing special. I actually prefer Portofino on the other ships over Giovanni's.

We were recently on the Explorer and ate at Portofino twice, it was a total waste of money both times. Hope you enjoy 150.

Edited by Oville

We thought slightly different. We rated Giovanni's as okay, nice meal but not that great. However we went to Chops twice and thought it was fantastic :D

Funny how much opinions can differ. We don't feel there's anything special about Chops, and don't feel it's worth the money anymore.

Funny how much opinions can differ. We don't feel there's anything special about Chops, and don't feel it's worth the money anymore.

Yes Bob it's quite funny how tastes differ. It's a good thing though as it means there's always different choices available :)

Imagine if we all liked and ate the same thing :eek:

I'm with you Bob. Chops was always our "go to" specialty restaurant for special occasions but since they changed the menu, we haven't been. It's not nearly as appealing. We'll probably pass on Chops for our next Oasis cruise.

150 is amazing. Delicious, gourmet upscale experience and if you have only one specialty experience, 150 would be a Top choice. Our favorite is Solarium Bistro for dinner. Beautiful atmosphere, delicious food with some unique dishes you won't normally find on ship such as seared bison, etc.

All of them are great experiences, you won't be sorry with any of them. Enjoy!

I agree with these two - 150 is wonderful, but you don't have much selection. When I went, the 1st three courses were set and I had a choice between two options for the last three. Previously, there was only one set menu. Check online for the menu- although it may change, it matched when I went on Oasis. Solarium Bistro was also very good with a great deal of variety. I agree the bison was good - and a nice alternative if you are looking for steak. If you are looking for something decadent, this is not a good choice. Like I said, check the menu's online to see what interests you.

I didn't try Giovanni's (but, honestly, I have GREAT Italian restaurants where I live - I'm not going to spend money on a ship for Italian). Ditto for Chops - I did go to Chops and it was fine (I didn't "know" the old menu), but there are much better steak houses where I live.

Would love to know everyone's favorite specialty dining choice and why ? I am choosing at least one specialty dinner on our February 28th cruise on Oasis because I was given a free one as part of my package, wondering which restaurant to choose, favorite dishes maybe or why you like it best. Much appreciated

If you received the free specialty dining from a TA you may want to read the certificate - we received one for our upcoming cruise and I found some restrictions in the fine print:

"valid for dinner only in Chops Grille, Portofino, Giovanni’s Table, Samba Grill or Solarium Bistro"

"Reservations for specialty dining must be made onboard during the sailing"

"only available on port days."

I was surprised by the last one and glad I noticed before we boarded.

We have previously tried all of the restaurants on both Oasis and Allure. For next week our sailing did not offer the Chef's Table online, which is our favorite. We want to try the new Sabor (read some good reviews). Our other favorite is lunch at Giavanni's on embarkation day; could not book it on-line this cruise but hopefully it will be a walk up option. It is so relaxing to have a nice lunch with wine on such a busy day. This trip we have the kids and grandparents so Chop's is a standard. We usually do an adult night and have selected Chef's Table twice and 150. Both are enjoyable. A new option this time will be Coastal Kitchen. So many choices that you can't get them all in. We love MDR (we do late seating) on the first night, formal night and last night. We have a table for all six of us so we don't feel bad leaving table mates. We also tell the wait staff in advance when we won't be there. All variations of goodness! Have fun:D

Chops is our favorite, but we are also looking forward to Giovanni's for lunch. My DH loves lasagna and it is only on the lunch menu. We also plan to try Sabor at lunch.

I am curious about the Solarium Bistro. We tried Samba Grill on the Allure and were not impressed. Like others have said, too many options for one cruise!:cool:

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Chops is our favorite, but we are also looking forward to Giovanni's for lunch. My DH loves lasagna and it is only on the lunch menu. We also plan to try Sabor at lunch.

I am curious about the Solarium Bistro. We tried Samba Grill on the Allure and were not impressed. Like others have said, too many options for one cruise!:cool:

We love Solarium Bistro!

It's almost a tie with 150 Central Park.

We loved Giovanni's as well.

We tried Sabor last month on the Oasis and we very pleasantly surprised.

I loved 150 Central Park! If your voucher has restrictions my next choice would be Giovanni's, which DH and I enjoyed very much. We also ate at Chops and the food was good but we unfortunately had very poor service YMMV :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Donna,

I have this same certificate... I was confused by this since it looked like possibly you could do 150 Park but not for "special dining events" do you know what that means? Sailing in 11 days!

thanks

Joy

Were you able to use the Certificate at 150 Park? I have one from my TA.