What will Island Princess look like after May 2015?

m134

And sure enough just got an email from Princess with cabin changes for B2B next year. And now have to change cabins on 2nd leg.:(

So looks like rethink has been done and no changes to Coral

Just rang Princess (Australia) to sort out my cabin changing from B741 to 2 new ones on Dolphin deck. After spending a fair time on hold while the rep tried to find out why - she came back with the answer being "they" don't know what is happening to those as yet unknown cabins ......as in they could be made into suites or they just don't know.

So something is happening to The Coral, whether changes are being scrapped or new ones are being drafted :confused:

Either way I changed my cabins for b2b to E736. Hope this choice was a good one!

I'm glad. Sometimes 'follow the money'.....just.....doesn't.....work. They must be having some real issues with the new-build part added to the stern of Island Princess.

:cool:

I read online that some of the new aft cabins have bad vibration issues.

Just rang Princess (Australia) to sort out my cabin changing from B741 to 2 new ones on Dolphin deck. After spending a fair time on hold while the rep tried to find out why - she came back with the answer being "they" don't know what is happening to those as yet unknown cabins ......as in they could be made into suites or they just don't know.

So something is happening to The Coral, whether changes are being scrapped or new ones are being drafted :confused:

Either way I changed my cabins for b2b to E736. Hope this choice was a good one!

No, from what I understand, no changes are being made to Coral Princess.

I read online that some of the new aft cabins have bad vibration issues.

Can you please tell me where you read this? I have not yet seen any trip reports or specific posts about people staying in the aft cabins on the island. Thank you.

Can you please tell me where you read this? I have not yet seen any trip reports or specific posts about people staying in the aft cabins on the island. Thank you.

I don't know about the new aft cabins but we sailed on the Island in February on a Panama Canal cruise. We were in C722, 4 from the aft, and had really bad vibration in the cabin. We mentioned it to our stateroom steward and to Guest Services after the first night, and again a couple of days later. We had chosen C722 so we could be close to the aft open balconies.

After 4 nights in C722 we were offered a mid ship cabin on Dolphin deck after one became available due to a medical emergency when the occupants unfortunately had to leave the ship and that room was so much better, with none of the vibration we had felt in C722.

We were also speaking with a couple about 6 rooms along from us who asked us if we were experiencing vibration, and we also spoke to someone who was in an aft starboard cabin who also experienced it, so it wasn't just our room.

I had thought that this would have been fixed during the dry dock and am surprised to hear that there are reports of vibration in the new aft cabins, so it sounds like the vibration issue hasn't been addressed. We sailed on the Island in 2009 in D722 and also on the Coral in 2008, and spent a lot of time on the aft open decks on both of those cruises, and didn't experience any vibration back then.

I will be in L721 this weekend and I love a little Aft vibration:cool: in fact I'm on my bed right now with the vibrator on!

I've booked the same cabin next Feb. I hope you're going to post some images. Let me know if I need to take a vibrator "for the bed" :eek:

Hopefully the Coral gets a more typical dry dock not involving the removal of the Universe Lounge, the wrap around promenade and moving the gym to a space without windows now.

If they have in fact actually changed their mind (let's hope so) on the gutting of Coral Princess, there's always the option to repurpose the space. So many people here have expressed a concern over the lack of a proper ballroom dance venue, so I wonder why couldn't they do that with the Universe Lounge?

:D

I will be in L721 this weekend and I love a little Aft vibration:cool: in fact I'm on my bed right now with the vibrator on!

I hope you'll take lots and lots of pictures, and not just of the additions to the stern. I'd also love to see the interiors of Island Princess too.

:D

Nobody has said if the vibration is a constant thing or just when the thrusters are used during docking and departing. I don't think I've ever been in an aft cabin that didn't vibrate when the thrusters are being used. But if it is all the time, that could be an issue.

But I agree with Colo Cruiser--keep the cabins; there is nothing to indicate this is a constant or even serious problem.

A few more 'she doesn't look that bad from this angle' pictures... ;)

(Credit all images to nicolas at naviearmatori)[/size]

In fact she does not look that bad from the profile angle... ;) still a relatively appealing looking PanMax-ship.

Similarly sized MSC or Costa units look worse.

Prior to refit, Coral/Island P. used to be ships, I really desired to sail on, since I really liked the "Terrace" construction at the stern, but now, after the refit, they seem to lose their uniqueness, and do not have any Observation Lounge anymore! :mad:

So IMHO the Grad Class ships (especially Crown/Emerald/Ruby) are far more attractive IMHO (absolutely LOVED Crown and Emerald).

Or Celebrity Millennium Class - if you would livke to consider competitors... :)

Y'all have scared me about the vibration issue. I have 3 cabins booked for a February Panama Canal Cruise: Baja deck 625 - 725 - 733. Should I try to change them?

Nancy

Nobody has said if the vibration is a constant thing or just when the thrusters are used during docking and departing. I don't think I've ever been in an aft cabin that didn't vibrate when the thrusters are being used. But if it is all the time, that could be an issue.

But I agree with Colo Cruiser--keep the cabins; there is nothing to indicate this is a constant or even serious problem.

I agree that it's most likely from thrusters & nothing that would cause me to be concerned about excessive vibration on the Island unless there is more detailed information than what has already been posted.

We sailed 14 days in Alaska on the Coral in B727 & never felt any vibrations. :)

I agree that it's most likely from thrusters & nothing that would cause me to be concerned about excessive vibration on the Island unless there is more detailed information than what has already been posted.

What exactly has been posted about the vibration on the Island by passengers who were in these cabins?

If you want to go back in this lengthy thread to read the post you'll find it somewhere in this thread.

I don't put a lot of credibility into a post or two without more information but I also cannot dismiss the info lacking any first hand experience about the modified Island.

We sailed 14 days in Alaska on the Coral in B727 & never felt any vibrations. :)

As I mentioned yesterday in post #782 we experienced bad vibration in C722, a mini suite, on the 15 day Panama Canal cruise from Fort Lauderdale to LA and it was constant day and night, not just when approaching or leaving a port, which I have experienced on other ships. It was even more noticeable when in bed and it bothered us greatly. After we were moved to a mid ship cabin on Dolphin deck we didn't experience any vibration at all. We have never experienced anything like this on any of our previous cruises and we have had a lot of aft balcony cabins on different ships.

We kept in contact with the people in the cabin 6 away from us who had asked us about the vibration which they were also experiencing and they kept experiencing it all throughout the cruise in their cabin on Caribe deck.

When we had first mentioned the vibration problem at Guest Services we were told that it was probably happening because the ship was travelling at a high speed when we had a long distance to travel in the two sea days between Fort Lauderdale and Aruba. The Supervisor came up to our cabin and could see it was happening.

After leaving Aruba he called and asked us if it was any better as we were now travelling slower when heading to our next port but it was no better. The next day he left a message on our phone asking us to contact him and he told us they had another cabin that had become available that we could check out to see if it was better and that we could move if we wanted to. He then took us to the mid ship cabin on Dolphin deck and there was no vibration there at all so we moved that evening.

I hope this was addressed to some extent during the dry dock but these are experiences in February. We didn't experience any vibration on the Island Princess during our Alaska cruise in 2009.

I've just done a search for vibration on the Island and found this thread from October 2014. Several people mentioned that they had similar problems and others didn't experience it in the same cabins so it doesn't seem to be consistent but for us it was very real and my wife had a lot of trouble sleeping.

Island Princess C705 ~DO Not Book~ vibration,shaking, noisy

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2116107

As I mentioned yesterday in post #782 we experienced bad vibration in C722, a mini suite, on the 15 day Panama Canal cruise from Fort Lauderdale to LA and it was constant day and night, not just when approaching or leaving a port, which I have experienced on other ships. It was even more noticeable when in bed and it bothered us greatly. After we were moved to a mid ship cabin on Dolphin deck we didn't experience any vibration at all. We have never experienced anything like this on any of our previous cruises and we have had a lot of aft balcony cabins on different ships.

We kept in contact with the people in the cabin 6 away from us who had asked us about the vibration which they were also experiencing and they kept experiencing it all throughout the cruise in their cabin on Caribe deck.

When we had first mentioned the vibration problem at Guest Services we were told that it was probably happening because the ship was travelling at a high speed when we had a long distance to travel in the two sea days between Fort Lauderdale and Aruba. The Supervisor came up to our cabin and could see it was happening.

After leaving Aruba he called and asked us if it was any better as we were now travelling slower when heading to our next port but it was no better. The next day he left a message on our phone asking us to contact him and he told us they had another cabin that had become available that we could check out to see if it was better and that we could move if we wanted to. He then took us to the mid ship cabin on Dolphin deck and there was no vibration there at all so we moved that evening.

I hope this was addressed to some extent during the dry dock but these are experiences in February. We didn't experience any vibration on the Island Princess during our Alaska cruise in 2009.

I've just done a search for vibration on the Island and found this thread from October 2014. Several people mentioned that they had similar problems and others didn't experience it in the same cabins so it doesn't seem to be consistent but for us it was very real and my wife had a lot of trouble sleeping.

Island Princess C705 ~DO Not Book~ vibration,shaking, noisy

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2116107

I appreciate your detailed explanation of the vibration problem that you experienced before the overhaul...thanks. :)

IMO you will be fine. :cool:

Keep the cabins.

FYI the first post-refit review was just posted for Island and the new Lido Deck balcony room vibrated so badly the poor guest had to be relocated... Thought this might be why the Coral refit was changed.

:eek: