First day lunch n Epic

Rhea98

This is not a complaint; however, we just boarded Epic a few hours ago, we were told only deck 15 for lunch. I specifically asked then went to Taste, Manhattan, and O'Sheehan's to find all were closed. just for your info.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This is not a complaint; however, we just boarded Epic a few hours ago, we were told only deck 15 for lunch. I specifically asked then went to Taste, Manhattan, and O'Sheehan's to find all were closed. just for your info.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bummer, ususally Taste is open. Perhaps you were too late for lunch hours?

I was about to ask the same. I don't think that we have once gotten truthful answer from any of the crew when asking about a MDR being open at embarkation but one has always been open, usually from noon to 2pm.

Anxious to hear more about this. We hoped to eat somewhere besides the buffet when we get on the ship.

No need to be anxious. On EVERY NCL cruise that I've been on, one of the MDRs has been open in addition to the buffet. Of course, as noted above, you have to go during their open hours (typically 12-2 or thereabouts). Check your Freestyle Daily for exact hours.

Happened to me on another line. They pointed everyone to the buffet. I had read one of the sandwich places was also open, and not so busy, so we went there instead. I asked the staff later and they had been told by management to send everyone to the buffet.

As a previous poster noted, it might not have been open when you arrived.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Happened to me on another line. They pointed everyone to the buffet. ... I asked the staff later and they had been told by management to send everyone to the buffet.

This is standard procedure also with NCL. Crew members also outright lied that MDR would not be open at all.

I think that NCL is the only cruiseline which provides the MDR for boarding day lunch. On other lines, we had to eat in the buffet. Not good when you're loaded with carry-ons.

On RCL Oasis there were many other options for lunch outside of the buffet.

Carnival has also had their MDR open for lunch.

I can understand why cruise lines may want to direct to the buffet since many staff is needed for other things on embarkation day.

Or perhaps too early? I know when we boarded the Getaway we were told O'Sheehan's was closed, and went there any way to find that it was. We waited, and it opened about 10 minutes later.

I may have been too early, but it was after noon (12:00--not afternoon per se) when we checked on O'Sheehan's and Taste. Fortunately, we had very little to carry on, and when we walked up to deck 14 to check things out, our room was ready so we dropped off the camera and "tech" bag. Actually, the buffet was fine (meaning GOOD) for lunch. I'm sure the pool deck was crazy, though.

We went to O'Sheehan's for dinner (supper). The MDR menus (sorry, I never remembered to carry my phone, aka camera, so I didn't take pics), although different from two years ago, still offered plenty of options. We enjoyed the buffet often, finding it crowded only on the "seafood" night.

I had checked out the menus on the TV that first afternoon, and they appeared to be just as they were two years ago. I went to locate them for screenshots via the iConcierge app, but they weren't showing. When I went back to the TV to get pics, the menus had disappeared. They never returned. I did grab Dailies and will scan and upload tomorrow if I find they are not already on the site. (We just got back home a few minutes ago).

I think that NCL is the only cruiseline which provides the MDR for boarding day lunch. On other lines, we had to eat in the buffet. Not good when you're loaded with carry-ons.

The wife and I ate Embarkation Day lunch in the MDR on Liberty Of The Seas. Café Promenade was also open for sandwiches.

[ATTACH]332148[/ATTACH]

These were the restaurants open for lunch on embarkation day

I appreciate that info--as do many others, I'm certain. As I don't recall seeing the specific info you attached, I'll assume I overlooked it one way or another; or, it was not available on my cruise. My Day 1 Daily shows that O'Sheehan's was open from 11:30-3:00 PM and Taste from Noon-2:30PM. I went to each around noon and both were closed. I asked at O'Sheehan's and was told they were not open. There was no one to ask at Taste. I may have been too early for Taste, but I was not too early for O'Sheehan's. I guess the point is, wait around for one or both to actually open if that is where you wish to eat lunch on Embarkation Day.

@millineumwoman, I wonder if you recall whether or not bread pudding was on the dessert menu one night at the MDR. It's the only specific item I remember, but I ask because I have wondered if the menus actually changed from the first cruise (this season) to the second. As I'd posted earlier, the full menus were available via the TV early afternoon on Day 1 (Nov. 16) but then disappeared never to be replaced. It's just a mystery to me, and that seemed a possibility.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Edited by Rhea98

It wasn't on the day 1 daily, it was on the welcome aboard paper available at check in

Thanks. I figured it was something I had overlooked (I've just finished looking through all the papers I have received but still don't have it--wow, getting old is NO fun.) However, the Daily did indicate that the restaurants were open.

Edited by Rhea98

I may have been too early, but it was after noon (12:00--not afternoon per se) when we checked on O'Sheehan's and Taste. Fortunately, we had very little to carry on, and when we walked up to deck 14 to check things out, our room was ready so we dropped off the camera and "tech" bag. Actually, the buffet was fine (meaning GOOD) for lunch. I'm sure the pool deck was crazy, though.

We went to O'Sheehan's for dinner (supper). The MDR menus (sorry, I never remembered to carry my phone, aka camera, so I didn't take pics), although different from two years ago, still offered plenty of options. We enjoyed the buffet often, finding it crowded only on the "seafood" night.

I had checked out the menus on the TV that first afternoon, and they appeared to be just as they were two years ago. I went to locate them for screenshots via the iConcierge app, but they weren't showing. When I went back to the TV to get pics, the menus had disappeared. They never returned. I did grab Dailies and will scan and upload tomorrow if I find they are not already on the site. (We just got back home a few minutes ago).

Hi, Hope you are still planning to upload dailies when you get time?

I put these in my Box folder since I scanned them as pictures so they are large. If this doesn't work for anyone, I'll make pdf files for each day. I may do that anyway, but not today.

EDIT: I see some of the files haven't uploaded yet. I'm working on them now.

Edited by Rhea98