Excruciatingly long immigration in NYC

Jazzbo

Other countries have heightened security processes, but few cost as much in time and money as the US...all without basic availability of food, water, seating, and/or toilet facilities for hours.

As bad as it is for returning citizens, its even worse for our visitors.

Well said indeed!!

As a tourist it is so tempting to remind the agent of the value I will be adding to their economy during my visit, but as I wish to get into the country I do not.

Given that we have an esta, they know we are coming etc etc I cannot understand what the added value of the face to face questions is most of which are banal and would not deter a trouble maker.

The most priceless I had was landing at Orlando going to a business conference where when asked the question and what are you going to see and I said, I was not planning any sightseeing which then got the why not.... etc etc. Had to pull out the conference papers at his request, it was on a technical subject (knowledge management) so I was then questioned as to what that was and as the agent could not understand oh dear it was 45 mins I wont get back of my life.

I wish I had lied and said Mickey Mouse

We made it off the ship and through immigration just in time to catch for family driving in from Connecticut to pick us up outside the cries terminal at 2:30, but the lines were much longer for non-US passport holders. The immigration officer said the delay was because we were on such a big ship, and I must admit that every booth was staffed. Maybe Manhattan Cruise Terminal isn't properly configured/equipped to handle larger cruise ships? I shudder to think how long it would take to clear an Oasis-class ship!

By the way, it is freezing (literally) in NY today!

Thanks for the reports, I think the big ship excuse is just that, an excuse. They do the Norwegian Breakaway every week which carries over a thousand more passengers.

I'm sorry so many of you are upset with the immigration/customs process. Unfortunately, there are too many in this world who live to kill and destroy Americans any way they can especially in New York. Personally, if there is even a minute chance of someone coming here with a cruise ship, be it passenger or employee, I am more than willing to support the process. Unfortunately this is the world we live in.

My prayers are with those, including Americans, killed yesterday while praying in Jerusalem.

Judy

Well said indeed!!

As a tourist it is so tempting to remind the agent of the value I will be adding to their economy during my visit, but as I wish to get into the country I do not.

Given that we have an esta, they know we are coming etc etc I cannot understand what the added value of the face to face questions is most of which are banal and would not deter a trouble maker.

The most priceless I had was landing at Orlando going to a business conference where when asked the question and what are you going to see and I said, I was not planning any sightseeing which then got the why not.... etc etc. Had to pull out the conference papers at his request, it was on a technical subject (knowledge management) so I was then questioned as to what that was and as the agent could not understand oh dear it was 45 mins I wont get back of my life.

No offense, but until you posted this, I felt that I was treated horribly by UK immigration in September and thought to myself 'why me? no one else gets asked these types of questions to clear the border' and then I realize I'm not the only one.

Long story short, clearing immigration at Heathrow after a red eye from Boston (and having worked a full work day prior to the flight) I had literally been up 24 hours and I had a officer read me the riot act. I have Global Entry; which yes, I know is US based and is for re-entry into the US- but you DO go through a very extensive background check in order to be approved, but the agent made me pull out my hotel reservations, my return flight info, he asked me random dates and times in terms of my schedule (ie, what are you doing on Wednesday at 1pm?).

He wanted to know what I did for a living to afford to fly British Airways and vacation in London for a week by myself. And then he wanted to know why I was solo in the first place. I told him I'm a doctor and I'm alone because my husband had to work and I was there to sight see for my birthday (which was the next day) and that typically, we travel together but it was my first time in Europe and first time on a trip without my husband. Queue more grossly inappropriate personal questions from the agent.

It literally took me over 30 minutes to be allowed to set foot on British soil. The reason? Per the immigration guy, after I'd asked him if he was having a go at me or did I do something wrong, I was a single minority woman traveling with two checked bags and two hand bags- that made me suspicious. Yeah, he said that.

Seriously, I thought I was the only one who got hassled clearing immigration.

I'm sorry so many of you are upset with the immigration/customs process. Unfortunately, there are too many in this world who live to kill and destroy Americans any way they can especially in New York. Personally, if there is even a minute chance of someone coming here with a cruise ship, be it passenger or employee, I am more than willing to support the process. Unfortunately this is the world we live in.

My prayers are with those, including Americans, killed yesterday while praying in Jerusalem.

Judy

It's not just Americans. People want to kill people. Period.

Are these queues what happens every time the Queen Mary comes in from a TA?

I know long queues at British Airports have been an issue recently in British politics - with everyone blaming each other but not sorting it out. They do recognise the impact that it has on business and tourism.

Well said indeed!!

Most countries have a more critical entry process for those doing business then those that say they are there as a tourist. I was once delayed about 3 hours entering Canada when I was there for a meeting with Health Canada, representing the US FDA. The person at immigration could not understand that while I was there on business, I was not working for or getting paid by anyone in Canada, but was instead paid by the US FDA to meet with the corresponding Canadian Agency.

When we cruised into Southampton on the EB Eclipse TA, earlier this year..the Brit officials got on (presumably) at our last port of call in the Portuguese Azores, and did 2 days of immigration formalities in one of the meeting rooms. Very practical, very pleasant and very simple - also the first time I have done border formalities in a swimsuit ;)

Other countries could learn a thing or two from that.

I think there are couple actors coming into play. First, a transatlantic cruise is going to receive more scrutiny than the standard cruise that begins and ends in the US. This is the world we live in. Second, Customs is understaffed. The Sequestration and the failure appropriate funds in a consistent and long term manner hinders the ability to develop a long term staffing plan. In addition, the first thing that happens when you have a sequestration/ shutdown of the government is that there is a hiring freeze or slots are removed to meet the budget objectives.

When I used to work for the Department of Justice, I used to laugh about the arguments of all the fat supposedly existed. For 30 attorneys, there was one administrative assistant. There were no mid level managers sitting around doing nothing. My wife who runs an organization within the DOD had to cut her budget by 5% last year. All the people who worked under her were on the mission side. The only way she could cut her budget was to return her training budget and not hire anyone for the vacancies (even the critical ones).

Re - US Customs & Immigration / Homeland Security

No one understands "the difference" in America post 9/11 more than us Canadians.

Prior to 9/11, the longest border in the world that exists between our two countries was a far friendlier place, with our Citizens easily going back & forth for mutual interests of family, business & pleasure

Since 9/11 all that has changed. Where once upon a time a verbal declaration was enough, there is now of course the need for Passports... Shared Computer & Police Data, as well as a continent we now both work together on to defend from "the unknowns"

No where was this more evident than on 9/11 when the USA closed down their entire airspace, and ALL THOSE PLANES landed in Canada. We welcomed our neighbours and those travelling to & from the USA from around the world. We put everyone up for several days, coming together to provide accommodations, food, supplies & comfort.

And we did it cause we truly love & care about our neighbours.

Sure things have changed... Many were upset when the USA changed the rules so we all now needed Passports to cross that great invisible line.

BUT we clearly understood the WHY... And we strongly defend the US's choices she has made in light of all that happened... And the world we all live in now.

I stated it here the other day...

What is happening with the Cruises currently... Is something necessary.

The USA may not advertise these things, or even cover them in your newspapers... but your Borders are CLEARLY On Red Alert...

So this is not just a case of TAs arriving... Or Port Changes, Embarkation / Debarkation issues

Things have changed in the last 30 days significantly, but again.

It started with the Attacks on the Cdn Military & the Cdn Parliament a few weeks ago... The US was highly involved in helping us thru that crisis... And our Govts have been working together to put together a better picture of who these radicalized citizens are, and if they were lone wolves or part of a larger terrorist group.

Add to this the story that was released last week to the Associated Press via Interpol that Cruise Ships are now moving to a higher level of security, due to them being targeted in other parts of the world by Radicalized Individuals using them "for transport"

And ya, there are going to be understandable delays for Cruise Ships Arriving in Port, Pax Departing & also potential delays for Pax Boarding.

I get it. I appreciate it. I may not be happy with the delays... But I will in no way be complaining in person, on here on CC, or even muttering under my breath as I no doubt find myself in long lines for my upcoming cruise.

I get it. I appreciate it. The US Authorities can do whatever they need to do if it means they, all of us, and I are going to be safer

It is indeed one of the current prices of freedom

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Are these queues what happens every time the Queen Mary comes in from a TA?

I can tell you we came from England to New York (Red Hook) on a QM2 transatlantic about a month ago. We did self embarkation at 7:30 am, which was painless, took a cab, and was at LaGuardia airport by 8:50 am. We were thrilled, since we had an 11:30 am flight.

I think there are couple actors coming into play. First, a transatlantic cruise is going to receive more scrutiny than the standard cruise that begins and ends in the US. This is the world we live in. Second, Customs is understaffed. The Sequestration and the failure appropriate funds in a consistent and long term manner hinders the ability to develop a long term staffing plan. In addition, the first thing that happens when you have a sequestration/ shutdown of the government is that there is a hiring freeze or slots are removed to meet the budget objectives.

When I used to work for the Department of Justice, I used to laugh about the arguments of all the fat supposedly existed. For 30 attorneys, there was one administrative assistant. There were no mid level managers sitting around doing nothing. My wife who runs an organization within the DOD had to cut her budget by 5% last year. All the people who worked under her were on the mission side. The only way she could cut her budget was to return her training budget and not hire anyone for the vacancies (even the critical ones).

Having worked at both FDA and DOE for a number of years, the question for resources is not a matter of if people are busy doing what they are doing. The answer in most cases is yes. The question is instead what should have priority in getting resourced. That is something that is not done very well. A good idea ends up becoming a project, then a permanent staffed function. Then it is in the nature of a bureaucracy that the people in a function identify the things related to their jobs that they could be doing if they had more staff, more money, etc. The end result is more people and more money needed. The only control seems to be across the board cuts because no one really sets priorities to eliminate the low priority, non-critical functions, once they are created, in favor of good ideas that should have higher priority.

I can accept the enhanced security that exists everywhere - UK, USA, Australia, wherever... - we've had to wait hours in line in all these places and fully understand the reasons. What riles me is the disrespect that is shown in some countries to all and sundry. I object to being screamed at to 'stay in line' when my wheelie had a mind of its own. My son ( a diabetic) was subjected to excessive handling and screamed at to 'get up against the wall' and not given the chance to explain why he was carrying needles. A little politeness goes a long way - everywhere in the world. And sorry to say, in my experience the US customs could learn a lot from other countries in this respect. We will not be embarking on a cruise that requires us to transit the US in future.

Having worked at both FDA and DOE for a number of years, the question for resources is not a matter of if people are busy doing what they are doing. The answer in most cases is yes. The question is instead what should have priority in getting resourced. That is something that is not done very well. A good idea ends up becoming a project, then a permanent staffed function. Then it is in the nature of a bureaucracy that the people in a function identify the things related to their jobs that they could be doing if they had more staff, more money, etc. The end result is more people and more money needed. The only control seems to be across the board cuts because no one really sets priorities to eliminate the low priority, non-critical functions, once they are created, in favor of good ideas that should have higher priority.

To a point, I agree with you analysis. The government can be slow to adjust it's priorities. However, I don't think the typical reaction is lets bring more people on board. The political reality of the last few years makes this impractical. Big organizations (government, fortune 500 companies etc.) in general tend to move slower.

I can accept the enhanced security that exists everywhere - UK, USA, Australia, wherever... - we've had to wait hours in line in all these places and fully understand the reasons. What riles me is the disrespect that is shown in some countries to all and sundry. I object to being screamed at to 'stay in line' when my wheelie had a mind of its own. My son ( a diabetic) was subjected to excessive handling and screamed at to 'get up against the wall' and not given the chance to explain why he was carrying needles. A little politeness goes a long way - everywhere in the world. And sorry to say, in my experience the US customs could learn a lot from other countries in this respect. We will not be embarking on a cruise that requires us to transit the US in future.

Totally agree! We are often told, quite rightly, that public servants deserve the right to be treated with respect etc and rudeness towards them will not be tolerated. In the case of some customs, security and immigration around the world it definitely is not reciprocated. The most professional I have found to be in Australia and New Zealand.

Totally agree! We are often told, quite rightly, that public servants deserve the right to be treated with respect etc and rudeness towards them will not be tolerated. In the case of some customs, security and immigration around the world it definitely is not reciprocated. The most professional I have found to be in Australia and New Zealand.

here here!

When we cruised into Southampton on the EB Eclipse TA, earlier this year..the Brit officials got on (presumably) at our last port of call in the Portuguese Azores, and did 2 days of immigration formalities in one of the meeting rooms. Very practical, very pleasant and very simple - also the first time I have done border formalities in a swimsuit ;)

Other countries could learn a thing or two from that.

We experienced the same on Adventure Of The Seas in spring 2013. The immigration officer boarded in the Azores and cleared every passenger in next two days whilst at sea. No stress and a smooth disembarkation after in Southampton. Compare this with a cruise ending in New Orleans the year before that took 10 hours for US immigration to clear paasengers, all of whom they had preadvised landing info containing full passport details of. Result, major inconvenience, zero illegal immigrants or terrorists. The US have a totally impractical and non risk based approach to immigration.

We wont be sailing in or out if a US port for the foreseable future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm also very reluctant to book a cruise visiting a US port for the same reason and know many others who feel the same. The person who said tourism will suffer was spot on.

I think the Market works very well to correct this type of situation.

Some years ago we were on a Princess cruise that had Immigration and Customs at St Thomas. It was a wreck. This happened several times. Many many U.K. passengers voiced loudly their opinion. P&O placed a ship in Barbados, and flew people from the U.K. direct to their cruise, and directly home again after their cruise.

As far as I know, these cruises which remain very popular do not stop at any U.S. Territories, hence no U.S. Customs and Immigration issues.

The point is, any Country is free to impose whatever regulations and process they want regarding entry into their country. We as consumers are also free to vote with our wallets where to spend our money. And the Market will adjust to what the Consumer wants to spend their money on.

Edited by WpgCruise

I think the Market works very well to correct this type of situation.

Some years ago we were on a Princess cruise that had Immigration and Customs at St Thomas. It was a wreck. This happened several times. Many many U.K. passengers voiced loudly their opinion. P&O placed a ship in Barbados, and flew people from the U.K. direct to their cruise, and directly home again after their cruise.

As far as I know, these cruises which remain very popular do not stop at any U.S. Territories, hence no U.S. Customs and Immigration issues.

The point is, any Country is free to impose whatever regulations and process they want regarding entry into their country. We as consumers are also free to vote with our wallets where to spend our money. And the Market will adjust to what the Consumer wants to spend their money on.

Interesting post :) thanks

exactly the point I was trying to make. I know that most here are complaining about the time it takes to get into the US, but as an American going to Britain, I was not treated any better nor was I subject to any shorter lines than the converse. I think borders are tight everywhere and deservedly so. The problem is the rudeness that one encounters for which there is no excuse. I can make do with the lines I can make do with the hassle, but when I'm treated as if I don't deserve a civilized agent with proper manners or treated as if I'm crazy to expect to be handled with respect; I certainly take offense to that.

Over decades of travelling to the US I have never found the customs officials to be anything but rude, belligerent and overly suspicious. I can't imagine how this attitude, combined with a tendency to do everything as slowly and inefficiently as possible, makes the country any safer. It just seems unprofessional and hardly fills me with confidence. I just hope the people behind the scenes are doing a more professional job than the goons who stamp the passports.

100% correct. When immigration officials in the People's Republic of China are impeccably polite while US officials grunt at you and point to a hand-scrawled sign saying "look at the camera" because they can't be bothered to ask you politely, you know that something is very wrong.

I'm sorry for the people caught up in the NYC lines/queues, but this is commonly the experience of non-US citizens arriving in the US.