Luggage

Quench

I do 2-week land only to Alaska and take a carry-on and a small daypack. I'll do laundry one evening.

My packing list would look something like this:

Daypack - jacket, wallet, binoculars, camera, guide book, tickets/paperwork, poncho, hat, gloves, snacks, water bottle.

Carryon - 1 pr shorts, 1 khaki, 2 jean, 1 lined nylon jogging pants, 7 tshirts (long sleeve and short), 2 sweatshirts, hoody, fleece vest, 1 sneaker, flipflops, pjs, socks, underwear, cosmetic bag.

Either on this Alaska forum, or on the Cruise Fashions forum, I posted my carryon and day pack list and pictures. Will look and try to link. It can be done. I planned on doing laundry, too.

edited to add : Found it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=18759843&postcount=20

Edited by CowPrincess

Someday, dee lord, I hope someday I can try to pack less! Honestly, I do try...but...I guess I just feel better knowing it is with me. I always have to factor in $125 give or take for baggage fees! In April, 2 of us had 178 pounds of luggage (carryons not included) for a 14 day trip! I know, I know..crazy!

I always pack light, for ease of travel. I do check one medium bag, along with a small duffel bag and 2 carry on back packs. But I am also gone a long time, just home from a month long trip and two weeks prior was gone for 6 weeks. :) Laundry is your friend. Haven't done formal nights in over 10 years.

Holy smokes...how do you fit that much in a carryon?.....you must use space bags,,,,,,,

I do 2-week land only to Alaska and take a carry-on and a small daypack. I'll do laundry one evening.

My packing list would look something like this:

Daypack - jacket, wallet, binoculars, camera, guide book, tickets/paperwork, poncho, hat, gloves, snacks, water bottle.

Carryon - 1 pr shorts, 1 khaki, 2 jean, 1 lined nylon jogging pants, 7 tshirts (long sleeve and short), 2 sweatshirts, hoody, fleece vest, 1 sneaker, flipflops, pjs, socks, underwear, cosmetic bag.

Anyone ever taken a seven day cruise with carry on luggage only ? Going on NCL wich is a casual ship and not trying to pay to check bags at all with Delta Air. Thanks for your help.

I have no problem with trying to do a cruise with just carry on if you do not want to bother to deal w checked luggage. However, to do it just to avoid paying the $50 luggage fee (about 1.6% of your total cruise cost) is in my opinion a bit absurd.

DON

I have no problem with trying to do a cruise with just carry on if you do not want to bother to deal w checked luggage. However, to do it just to avoid paying the $50 luggage fee (about 1.6% of your total cruise cost) is in my opinion a bit absurd.

DON

My husband and I can check 6 bags for free. It isn't my reason either. As I mention, it's for ease of travel. I can take any public transportation, never need porters etc. As a New Yorker, I've been taking luggage up and down stairs, walked blocks, managed city buses and subways, all over the world. :) A big benefit for my type of travel. Independent. Nothing to do with any fees. I also agree with you Don, sometimes I see travelers focusing on details that they think are important to them.

DON

My husband and I can check 6 bags for free. It isn't my reason either. As I mention, it's for ease of travel. I can take any public transportation, never need porters etc. As a New Yorker, I've been taking luggage up and down stairs, walked blocks, managed city buses and subways, all over the world. :) A big benefit for my type of travel. Independent. Nothing to do with any fees. I also agree with you Don, sometimes I see travelers focusing on details that they think are important to them.

In fairness, I think many people economize where they can when travelling. For me personally, I watch my pre-cruise food and hotel budget, and transportation costs. My DH, Mr Frugal, would wear 5 pairs of underwear and 3 pairs of pants and 4 shirts on the plane if he thought he'd save a baggage fee :D (I don't let him, but he would try it if he could!)

If someone decides that a baggage fee is the easiest place to save $100, and I decide that pre-cruise meals is the easiest place to save $100, we are both saving $100, just in different ways. And those $100 savings add up.

I get that everyone has their own travel style. Basically I'm frugal; I'd be thinking about something fun I could have done with that $100 I just wasted on baggage fees.

No space bags. I'm a good packer and I have a great suitcase. It's a 21" case and getting pretty beat up, but I haven't found another that seems as spacious inside.

I learned my packing lesson many years ago ..... in the time before wheeled luggage I spent 3 weeks travelling around the UK visiting relatives. I had one huge hard-side suitcase that I dragged onto buses, trains, and carried for miles. Lesson learned! I love to travel, so over the years I've learned how to pack and what to take. I plan on laundry after 7-8 days. At the laundramat I get to chat with locals, or, I have dinner nearby. It's easy to work in, not a hardship.

Before a trip I make a comprehensive packing list of everything I NEED, right down to toothpaste and as I pack I cross it off the list.

Too much luggage takes on a life of it's own and needs to be factored into your plans. I don't want to waste time worrying about what my luggage needs! I always know that I can easily get my bag to the car, onto the airport shuttle, to the checkin counter, thru customs, and I can take local transportation like buses and light rail instead of paying $$$ for a taxi.

You can do it! Just pack what you NEED. The layer next to your skin needs to be changed daily, but sweatshirts/pullovers can be worn several times ... no one will notice or care that you wore that sweatshirt on Mon AND Thursday!

DON

In addition to the issue of trying to do carry on only for any trip, airlines are now cracking down on how much carry on stuff you will be allowed to carry on to your flights.

On recent flights I saw quite clearly that many folks were be denied the 'right' to carry on as much as they pleased. At many airports including DFW, you can't get up to the TSA check area if you have too much carry on luggage. You are sent back to the main check in area for your airline to check some of what you are hauling.

In addition to the issue of trying to do carry on only for any trip, airlines are now cracking down on how much carry on stuff you will be allowed to carry on to your flights.

On recent flights I saw quite clearly that many folks were be denied the 'right' to carry on as much as they pleased. At many airports including DFW, you can't get up to the TSA check area if you have too much carry on luggage. You are sent back to the main check in area for your airline to check some of what you are hauling.

Glad they were sent back :D...Too often on my DL flights I wish they would send some of these "carryoner's" back to the gate...It's getting crazy. :eek:

It's not just at DFW where the TSA pre-screeners send people back who have too much carry-on stuff. I've seen it in plenty airports.

I travel with one 25 inch checked bag that weighs between 35 and 38 pounds and one carry-on bag which has no wheels. It weighs 15 pounds.

Checking up to 3 bags costs me nothing on American Airlines.

Edited by PennyAgain

Kamloops50 s wife speaking. We had Air Canada lose our luggage coming home from a cruise once. That's another reason some of us prefer to do carryons only. Quite apart from the cost, if it happened at the front end of a cruise it can be expensive & disappointing. We've seen THAT happen to others.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app