Oasis/Fort Lauderdale

Koohiichan

Hi, there!

Just booked a cruise on Oasis for January. This is very last-minute for us, but winter has come too soon here in Chicagoland. We need something to look forward to. This is our first time on Oasis so I have a couple of questions:

1. Are the pools freshwater (not salty)?

2. Is wine available for purchase at the port in Fort Lauderdale?

3. Can we do "my time dining" w/o reservations? We did on Adventure with absolutely no wait-times, but know that Oasis might be different.

4. Does the ship feel crowded?

5. We are a family of 3 using 2 inside cabins, but used to balconies. Where can we find a balcony to hang out at during the day to remember we are on the ocean?

Okay, maybe more than a couple of questions.::D

Thanks!

Koohiichan

In regard to Q3: my time dining is just like a land based restaurant. You can make a reservation, or you can just turn up and hope a table is available. If you turn up at a popular time with no reservation you may have to wait awhile. My advice is that if you have a strong desire to eat at a particular time, or to avoid waiting, then you should make a reservation

Aft on Deck 5 behind the Aqua Theater there are some nice teak loungers. There are also public balconies overlooking the Aqua Theater aft on Deck 7 by the Rock Climbing Walls.

Weren't they removed during dry dock?

Hi, there!

3. Can we do "my time dining" w/o reservations? We did on Adventure with absolutely no wait-times, but know that Oasis might be different.

4. Does the ship feel crowded?

Koohiichan

As a rule, we never make reservations for MTD, we go when we feel like it. That being said, we did make reservations some nights on Oasis/Allure b/c of the shows. There are so many great shows on these ships and we wanted to see as many as we could so we made reservations around show times so we will make the shows in time

Other than coming out of shows we never thought the ship felt crowded. There are so many open areas on this ship and lots of elevators, so it is easy to get around

A follow up to Bob's Total Wine advice. Also, you can pre order/pay on their website. If you are flying into FLL, the taxi will actually have to pass the store on the way to the port. Have him stop, jump out, Total Wine will have your wine ready and you are back in the taxi very quickly to continue onto to the port.

Not sure if you are flying in the night before. If you are, if you stay at the Embassy Suites on 17th Street, you can walk to Total Wine and other stores. We actually found wine to be cheaper at the grocery store - I think it was a Public (not sure - but almost next door to Total Wine).

Lots of places on board to see the ocean - Aqua Theater area comes to mind - you can often sit there and watch rehersals for the show and see the ocean; plus pool decks and sports deck, also the Solarium. Can't think of an actual "balcony" other than the ones on the aft of the ship previously mentioned; however, believe the ones on 11, 12, 14 are no longer available.

Never felt Allure or Oasis to be crowded - RC did an excellent design job in keeping the passengers moving - actually felt less crowded than some other ships; you may find a crowd when a show or dining room is just emptying, but that's about it.

Enjoy your cruise - know what you mean about the weather!

I know you did not ask for hotel advice but here is another endorsement of the Embassy Suites. Breakfast was great and the hotel is beautiful and close to many stores.

I can only speak about the Allure, but the only time the ship felt crowded was during debarkation. I was pleasantly surprised about how un-crowded it felt. There is so much to do and it seems that a lot of thought went into the timing of activities. I also really enjoyed the screens that listed the occupancy of the various restaurants.