Celebrity Millennium November 23 Sailing – Change in Itinerary (Threads Merged)

C 2 C

A few years ago we booked a cruise on the Millenium to Australia and New Zealand. We booked a certain cruise date because of the iteniary- specifically wanted to visit Tasmania. Not before the cruise, but well into the cruise we were informed that we would be not visit there. Instead we stopped at some small port that had never received a large cruise ship before - not comparable to Tasmania. The local paper had headlines of our arrival. Anyway, we received no explanation and no monetary reimbursement of any kind.

Very disappointing to have ports eliminated from a cruise iteniary, but in this case some compensation was provided -better than nothing-as legally C did not have to provide any extras.

The world these days presents many obstacles when trying to travel and explore. Knowing this is one thing, but accepting it can be challenging and disappointing.

We were on the previous Millenium cruise Hong Kong to Singapore. We came across many crew members from Bali whose family members were looking forward to seeing them and many whose families were travelling to the port just to see them.

I feel so sorry for them they must be so disappointed.....

we all accept when we sail that we may miss ports or change ports. It is all part of cruising. We were once very badly delayed tendering into Bali. There was no rational explanation given and passengers were very angry. Glad to understand why that happened.

Celebrity never did say the WHY for their decision not to stop / visit this port

As someone else suggested it could be totally a port issue (ie Port Fees / Bribes etc)

Or it could be something else

When ARNO first posted this topic a week ago... I did a quick GOOGLE... First thing up on Bali was a recent Human Rights Violation that was getting a lot of press that week (Nov 18, 2014)

In truth we may never know the full reason... But be assured that if RCCL / Celebrity (and the US Govt) doesn't feel the issue is resolved other cruises due to stop here will not

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

With only one month to go before our ' Highlights of Indonesia' cruise, those of us travelling half way round the world to Singapore to board the Millenium have heard nothing official from Celebrity at this point, other than travel agent being told that there is not a problem!

Any others who're booked on the January 4 sail away, heard anything positive??:confused:

Like Rusty, I too am not a happy cruiser. I posted a note on our RC regarding the Galapagos issue which was particularly troubling since we had done that cruise a few months earlier so the subject and memories were fresh. It would seem that with all the connections of Chandris and RCI these things could be solved or better yet, prevented. Why is it that we never hear of any of these issues with other cruise lines? Are they immune or willing to pay the piper whatever is required?

Komodo was the main draw for this cruise and I've been training carrying my wife piggy-back while running just in case a dragon got away from the ranger. ;)

It would be a long way to fly to not see what you set out to see. We can make up Bali or substitute Tahiti at a later date but seeing live dragons in the "wild" was going to rank up there with see blue footed boobies and giant tortoises.

Maybe we're jumping to conclusions, but the timing is not working in our favor for getting this resolved in a little more than a month.

Not Bali, but this type of thing happens to other lines as well. We booked an April NCL cruise specifically to go to Tunisia and see Carthage. There was a diplomatic incident a month before we were to sail and all future calls there were canceled. We had a nice cruise anyway but we had already visited several of the other ports multiple times. Later events there showed they made a good decision.

Really sorry for those on this cruise. I'd been considering one that goes to Bali, but will think twice.

We have thought about this for awhile after hearing the Bali port cancel.

If celebrity/Rccl talks to much about this, the Bali port people people may get stubborn and plant their feet. I am sure they are doing their best to solve the problem and this is not their doing. Am I mad... Yes but not at X... If Bali does not play fair then the heck with them... They are not the Jewel of Indonesia

I say play fair or all cruise lines boycott Bali... The 3 big cruise lines can put a serious hurt to their business if these folks don't play fair....

I have been to 107 countries and Bali, Indonesia was my greatest travel disappointment. I was just there 6 months ago and while I always do find something redeeming in a place (the school I visited where my guide went to school and his daughter goes to school) Bali was polluted with massive traffic jams and beaches and surf with plastic bottles floating along. I actually went trekking along a rice paddy in UBud and took pictures of piles of garbage along the walking path.

I am sorry that many are disappointed but perhaps some may be disappointed had they gone. Again, this IMHO and when sharing it most people have said they feel the same way.

Whatever you do and wherever you go, enjoy. Most of the people I met in Bali were lovely.

With only one month to go before our ' Highlights of Indonesia' cruise, those of us travelling half way round the world to Singapore to board the Millenium have heard nothing official from Celebrity at this point, other than travel agent being told that there is not a problem!

Any others who're booked on the January 4 sail away, heard anything positive??:confused:

Academical - First, welcome to CruiseCritic. Please come by the Roll Call for the January 4 sailing. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2064042&page=15

Rustyztwo has been doing yeoman's work with =X= corporate trying to get clarifications and website issues cleared. The bottom line that I can see is that "no news is good news". Hopefully that holds true 3+ weeks from now.

Hi Arno,

Can you give me the link to that quote please? I would be grateful.

Thank you

FreddieH

It was on their home page as an emergency notice which has since been removed. I did not take screen shots of it, but it is the same as this which was received onboard:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43471287/Change%20of%20Itinerary.pdf

Happy sailings,

Jenna

Celebrity responded to my email and said be assured jan 4 is going to bali personally I d rather go vietnan balis fun but a bit of a hole

and full of drunk aussies(im one of them) covered in tattoos not me

anyway this is my first celebrity I just got elite with princess but this trip ticked all the boxes and was a sensational price and they even threw infree booze

just one questio why do you board and then stay overnight and leave at 4 pm the following

The overnight gives those traveling from a very long way extra time to arrive. Those doing back to back extra time in port and those starting the sail, an extra full day without having to buy a hotel. Operationally it also gives an extra day for perishable food deliveries to arrive from Miami.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

The most frustrating thing would be if they knew that this was an ongoing issue, they certainly should have informed anyone when booking the cruise, or at least earlier enough to cancel and take a different cruise.

Speculation was that officials were demanding a bribe which Celebrity refused to pay

Which Celebrity, as a part of a publicly traded company, is prohibited by US law and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) regulations to pay.

The most frustrating thing would be if they knew that this was an ongoing issue, they certainly should have informed anyone when booking the cruise, or at least earlier enough to cancel and take a different cruise.

I don't think it is an ongoing issue. I think there are cruises headed there this month as it seems to be resolved. Oh well, bummer for us.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

From the Australian Government

This Advice was last issued on Monday, 05 January 2015. This advice contains new information in the Summary and under Safety and security (on 3 January 2015, the US Government warned of a potential threat against US-associated hotels and banks in Surabaya) and under Entry and exit (Indonesian immigration staff may refuse entry to Indonesia to Australians with a criminal record). We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Indonesia, including Bali, at this time due to the high threat of terrorist attack.

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Indonesia, including Bali, at this time due to the high threat of terrorist attack. You should also be aware of the severe penalties for narcotics offences, including the death penalty; some specific health risks; and risks associated with natural disasters.

Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks.

We continue to receive information that indicates that terrorists may be planning attacks in Indonesia, which could take place at any time.

On 3 January 2015, the US Government warned of a potential threat against US-associated hotels and banks in Surabaya.

Gatherings at places of worship over Christmas and New Year have been targeted in the past, particularly in places like Poso and Solo, and could be attacked again

Gatherings of Westerners over this period could also be appealing targets for terrorists. Terrorists have previously attacked or planned to attack such places, including nightclubs, bars, restaurants, international hotels, airports and places of worship in Bali, Jakarta and elsewhere in Indonesia. These types of venues could be attacked again.

Terrorist groups remain active throughout Indonesia despite police disruptions. Police continue to conduct operations against these groups and have stated publicly that terrorist suspects remaining at large may seek to attack Western targets.

You should exercise particular caution around locations that have a low level of protective security and avoid places known to be possible terrorist targets.

Australians should avoid all protests, demonstrations and rallies as they can turn violent without warning.

Indonesia is subject to a range of natural disasters including volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis and floods. You should pay close attention to emergency procedures and monitor local warnings.

Visitors to Indonesia, particularly to tourist locations such as Bali and Lombok, should be aware of the specific risks from crime, and from drink-spiking and consumption of alcohol adulterated with harmful substances such as methanol. Tourists may also be exposed to scams and credit card/ATM fraud. There has been an increase in reports of violent crime in Bali, including muggings in the Kuta area. Be aware of your surroundings and conscious of the potential risks of crime (see under Safety and security for more information).

Petty crime, such as opportunistic theft, is common in Indonesia. Thieves on motorcycles may snatch handbags and backpacks from pedestrians. Tourists may be exposed to scams and confidence tricks in Indonesia. Legal disputes are common regarding the purchase of real estate including land, houses, holiday clubs and time share schemes.

You should exercise normal beach safety behaviour and consider carefully the risks involved in using motorcycles, including licence and insurance issues (See under Local travel for more information).

Visitors should be aware that there is a risk of rabies throughout Indonesia, in particular Bali and Nias. See under Health for more information.

We advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Central Sulawesi, Maluku, Papua and West Papua provinces where additional safety and security risks exist. Since October 2012, a number of violent incidents have been reported in Poso, Central Sulawesi.

Since July 2009, there has been a series of violent attacks in the area around the Freeport Mine in Papua province. A number of these incidents have resulted in deaths, including of one Australian. Attacks were reported in the area in December 2013 and January 2014. Further such attacks could occur. Information indicates that attacks may be planned near the area of operation of the Freeport mine.

Ongoing violence in Puncak Jaya District in Papua Province has led to a number of deaths in recent years. There is a possibility of further attacks in Papua and West Papua provinces, including attacks on infrastructure and national institutions.

Regards

John

From the Australian Government

This Advice was last issued on Monday, 05 January 2015. This advice contains new information in the Summary and under Safety and security (on 3 January 2015, the US Government warned of a potential threat against US-associated hotels and banks in Surabaya) and under Entry and exit (Indonesian immigration staff may refuse entry to Indonesia to Australians with a criminal record). We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Indonesia, including Bali, at this time due to the high threat of terrorist attack.

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Indonesia, including Bali, at this time due to the high threat of terrorist attack. You should also be aware of the severe penalties for narcotics offences, including the death penalty; some specific health risks; and risks associated with natural disasters.

Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks.

We continue to receive information that indicates that terrorists may be planning attacks in Indonesia, which could take place at any time.

On 3 January 2015, the US Government warned of a potential threat against US-associated hotels and banks in Surabaya.

Gatherings at places of worship over Christmas and New Year have been targeted in the past, particularly in places like Poso and Solo, and could be attacked again

Gatherings of Westerners over this period could also be appealing targets for terrorists. Terrorists have previously attacked or planned to attack such places, including nightclubs, bars, restaurants, international hotels, airports and places of worship in Bali, Jakarta and elsewhere in Indonesia. These types of venues could be attacked again.

Terrorist groups remain active throughout Indonesia despite police disruptions. Police continue to conduct operations against these groups and have stated publicly that terrorist suspects remaining at large may seek to attack Western targets.

You should exercise particular caution around locations that have a low level of protective security and avoid places known to be possible terrorist targets.

Australians should avoid all protests, demonstrations and rallies as they can turn violent without warning.

Indonesia is subject to a range of natural disasters including volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis and floods. You should pay close attention to emergency procedures and monitor local warnings.

Visitors to Indonesia, particularly to tourist locations such as Bali and Lombok, should be aware of the specific risks from crime, and from drink-spiking and consumption of alcohol adulterated with harmful substances such as methanol. Tourists may also be exposed to scams and credit card/ATM fraud. There has been an increase in reports of violent crime in Bali, including muggings in the Kuta area. Be aware of your surroundings and conscious of the potential risks of crime (see under Safety and security for more information).

Petty crime, such as opportunistic theft, is common in Indonesia. Thieves on motorcycles may snatch handbags and backpacks from pedestrians. Tourists may be exposed to scams and confidence tricks in Indonesia. Legal disputes are common regarding the purchase of real estate including land, houses, holiday clubs and time share schemes.

You should exercise normal beach safety behaviour and consider carefully the risks involved in using motorcycles, including licence and insurance issues (See under Local travel for more information).

Visitors should be aware that there is a risk of rabies throughout Indonesia, in particular Bali and Nias. See under Health for more information.

We advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Central Sulawesi, Maluku, Papua and West Papua provinces where additional safety and security risks exist. Since October 2012, a number of violent incidents have been reported in Poso, Central Sulawesi.

Since July 2009, there has been a series of violent attacks in the area around the Freeport Mine in Papua province. A number of these incidents have resulted in deaths, including of one Australian. Attacks were reported in the area in December 2013 and January 2014. Further such attacks could occur. Information indicates that attacks may be planned near the area of operation of the Freeport mine.

Ongoing violence in Puncak Jaya District in Papua Province has led to a number of deaths in recent years. There is a possibility of further attacks in Papua and West Papua provinces, including attacks on infrastructure and national institutions.

Regards

John

Safe travels to everyone going to Bali. Maybe our cancelled trip was a blessing after all.