Mitsugirly's extensive back to belly sun & sky review

mitsugirly

Love your posts!

We are headed to Grand Cayman again..Would like to walk far and snorkel along the way...Thinking of Seven Mile Beach...OR perhaps just go to Eden Rock to snorkel.

What would you recommend? Have snorkeled quite a bit, but not into swimming out too far.

Barbara & Tom

Love your posts!

We are headed to Grand Cayman again..Would like to walk far and snorkel along the way...Thinking of Seven Mile Beach...OR perhaps just go to Eden Rock to snorkel.

What would you recommend? Have snorkeled quite a bit, but not into swimming out too far.

Barbara & Tom

I would love to head back to GC again in the future to go to different places. The only places we have been is the stingray sand bar and Caye Caulker. So I can't personally recommend any other place.

However, I have done extensive research on the place when we were deciding what to do and the place I had planned on going next is Smiths Cove. Eden is also supposed to be a good place for snorkling as well. I just liked the pictures that I seen at Smiths and had decided that's where I would like to head to next. Also Cemetary beach is supposed to have awesome snorkeling.

I would check into all of those places and decide which is best for you. (There may be other suggestions as well out there).

As for 7 mile beach...it's a sandy bottom beach, so you won't find any snorkeling there if that's what you are looking for. Again, I have not been there, but have read enough reports on it to know you won't find snorkeling there. :)

I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

We are taking a Western Caribbean cruise out of NOLA next January on the Dawn. Our only cruise experience was a 4 night with RCCL in the 90s. I've been enjoying all of your reviews and appreciate the extensive information. I am so anxious to read your ship review after your June cruise! It is amazing to me how people either love or hate her. I trust your opinion will be fair and thorough. I hope you and your family have a great cruise:)

We are taking a Western Caribbean cruise out of NOLA next January on the Dawn. Our only cruise experience was a 4 night with RCCL in the 90s. I've been enjoying all of your reviews and appreciate the extensive information. I am so anxious to read your ship review after your June cruise! It is amazing to me how people either love or hate her. I trust your opinion will be fair and thorough. I hope you and your family have a great cruise:)

We cruised on the Dawn several years ago and had a wonderful time on this ship.

I absolutely LOVE cruising out of NOLA. It's wonderful there and I hope to cruise out of NOLA again some day. Make sure you take a day to explore. There's so much to do there.

I have a feeling we will enjoy the Dawn since I loved the layout of the Star. I can't wait. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We booked this place using an online booking site that we had never used before in the past (I've used several in the past, just never this site...begins with book and ends with it). But (as everyone knows) I do a lot of research prior to booking anything and this seem to be the best deal I could find. I believe we only paid around $80 for the night.

We checked in and they took my cc for "incidentals" and I later noticed there was a $15 charge that I inquired about...but it fell off after we checked out. So, no problems. However, the problem did arrise that when we checked in, they had no record of our booking. I had to show them my confirmation and payment paper from the sight. They did say "Well, it's a good thing we still have a room available for you." Um....ok. So, now I wonder what would have happened if they didn't have a room available? Would we be forced to walk up and down the road until we found a place? Kinda a scary thought! So I don't know if this is a problem with the site or with the hotel.

[/color][/size][/font]

Just finally joining in on this one. I had a bit of a heart leap when you said who you booked the room with and thought "Gosh I hope they actually had the reservation on file"...then see that they didn't. This is VERY common with that particular site. Many times hotels will not honor it either from what I have read. I am so glad it worked out OK for you.

Edited by jenseib

Just finally joining in on this one. I had a bit of a heart leap when you said who you booked the room with and thought "Gosh I hope they actually had the reservation on file"...then see that they didn't. This is VERY common with that particular site. Many times hotels will not honor it either from what I have read. I am so glad it worked out OK for you.

Oh gosh. That's very scary to know that this happens a lot with this booking site. I will not use them again if that's the case. Thanks for the warning. :)

We made it to the spot where "the speach" took place. They had the cutest little "pineapples" there. It didn't realize pineapples grew in the sand like that. Can you see them?

PB140035%20copy-L.jpg

Now THIS is what I'm talking about!!!

PB140034%20copy-L.jpg

I could look at this all day (and I would...well kinda).

PB140037%20copy-L.jpg

This would be where they want you to stop and have your picture taken.

PB140039%20copy-L.jpg

I am still slowly reading when I get time and loving it. Those are not pineapples though. Those are Agave plants which is used to make tequilla.

We did the tequilla tasting tour a few years ago in Cozumel and thats when I first saw and learned about them.

tequila25.jpg

tequila5.jpg

I am still slowly reading when I get time and loving it. Those are not pineapples though. Those are Agave plants which is used to make tequilla.

We did the tequilla tasting tour a few years ago in Cozumel and thats when I first saw and learned about them.

tequila25.jpg

tequila5.jpg

Oh my gosh are they really THAT big? Wow. I had no idea. Thanks for the info/lesson. :) Pretty cool.

Finally got all of this one read! Amazing review! Thanks so much!

LOL "finally", I know I'm a little "winded" most of the time. :D :p

Oh my gosh are they really THAT big? Wow. I had no idea. Thanks for the info/lesson. :) Pretty cool.

LOL "finally", I know I'm a little "winded" most of the time. :D :p

Yours are the type of reports/reviews I LOVE....I don't think they are too long at all. I wish more people wrote like that!

Yours are the type of reports/reviews I LOVE....I don't think they are too long at all. I wish more people wrote like that!

Aww, thanks so much. I personally really wish more people would write more reviews like this too...since I'm a visual person and love photos...it really helps me with planning to get a feel for the place. :)

• 2 months later...

Loved your review, thanks!! We'll be on our first NCL cruise (besides my 1-nighter almost 10 years ago haha) in November on the Escape.

Do you happen to remember the brand or where you got Sakari's orange water shoes in these pics?? My 6 year old and 2 year old need new ones for our upcoming cruise and these look great!! Thanks in advance. :)

Loved your review, thanks!! We'll be on our first NCL cruise (besides my 1-nighter almost 10 years ago haha) in November on the Escape.

Do you happen to remember the brand or where you got Sakari's orange water shoes in these pics?? My 6 year old and 2 year old need new ones for our upcoming cruise and these look great!! Thanks in advance. :)

Thanks for your comment and glad you enjoyed the review. Congrats on booking the Escape. Hopefully we'll get to do her in the future. :D Also congrats on coming back to cruising. I did the same thing years ago. Went on my first cruise in 89, second cruise around 90-something and then didn't start cruising again until 2010 and I'm completely hooked now. :p

Actually I'm almost positive that I purchased her water shoes at Walmart. They are a bright pink and orange and matched a bathing suit she had at the time. They look like those shoes you buy with the toes in them (but of course they were cheap lol). I think they were less than $5. I'm not sure if they still have them or not since I purchased them last year. They probably have different kinds now. :(

Thanks for your comment and glad you enjoyed the review. Congrats on booking the Escape. Hopefully we'll get to do her in the future. :D Also congrats on coming back to cruising. I did the same thing years ago. Went on my first cruise in 89, second cruise around 90-something and then didn't start cruising again until 2010 and I'm completely hooked now. :p

Actually I'm almost positive that I purchased her water shoes at Walmart. They are a bright pink and orange and matched a bathing suit she had at the time. They look like those shoes you buy with the toes in them (but of course they were cheap lol). I think they were less than $5. I'm not sure if they still have them or not since I purchased them last year. They probably have different kinds now. :(

Not new to cruising (we've tried to do every 2 years since 2012 and recently every year), just new to NCL and super excited about the Escape! It's hard to find reviews with families/young kids so you've definitely helped me plan with some of your reviews and i'm thinking about an extensive escape review now!! Thanks, yes I know my daughter would love the "toes look" haha. I'll check walmart in my travels.

• 1 month later...

Love your reviews!

We are heading to Blue Kay in December and had a question.

I'm a bit nervous about snorkeling in low water, afraid I'll get cut on coral (even w/water shoes on). How difficult is it to avoid the sea urchins, etc. at Blue Kay?

Thanks again

Barbara

Love your reviews!

We are heading to Blue Kay in December and had a question.

I'm a bit nervous about snorkeling in low water, afraid I'll get cut on coral (even w/water shoes on). How difficult is it to avoid the sea urchins, etc. at Blue Kay?

Thanks again

Barbara

Hi Barbara. Sorry for the delay. We just returned today from a cruise and I'm getting caught up.

Super easy to avoid the low water and getting cut. You can tell when the rocks are starting to get higher and it's out by the wall. Super easy to avoid. I wouldn't worry too much. :)

When we got closer to the port, everyone noticed that the Epic had pulled in right beside the Sun and they all jumped up for pictures. Of course everyone from down stairs started coming up to our territory for the same reason. I'm pretty sure the boat got top heavy at that point. LOL

PB140229%20copy-L.jpg

Would you look at the difference in size??

It almost looks like the Sun got a new hat and shades.

PB140236%20copy-L.jpg

And a few added "layers" on top.

PB140239%20copy-L.jpg

But you don't really realize just how much bigger the Epic is until you come around back and see this...

PB140240%20copy-L.jpg

PB140241%20copy-L.jpg

PB140243%20copy-L.jpg

reminds me of my first cruise on the Norwegian Sea in 2002 or so when we were parked next to the brand new Dawn- more than twice the size...now the Dawn is one of the smaller guys on the block

reminds me of my first cruise on the Norwegian Sea in 2002 or so when we were parked next to the brand new Dawn- more than twice the size...now the Dawn is one of the smaller guys on the block

Isn't it funny how we look back and think how much smaller the ships use to be compared to now and back then we thought they were huge? We were on the Seaward back in 1989 and we thought is was ginormous! :D:p

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question in regards to Blue Kay. We are arriving on Carnival Valor. When we arrive, where do I go to get on the "tram" to bring us to Blue Kay? How do you let them know where you'd like to get off? If I do get dropped off at Senor Frogs, which way do you go to get to Blue Kay?

Thanks!!

I have a question in regards to Blue Kay. We are arriving on Carnival Valor. When we arrive, where do I go to get on the "tram" to bring us to Blue Kay? How do you let them know where you'd like to get off? If I do get dropped off at Senor Frogs, which way do you go to get to Blue Kay?

Thanks!!

Super easy. Just wind your way through the port and head out. The minute that you walk out and are on the sidewalk, there will be a stand directly in front of you and there will be people there asking what you need and if you need a ride (not the normal taxi drivers bugging you). They will point you to the ticket booth and the shuttle is right beside that. You can't miss it.

You honestly don't really need to tell the driver where you are going (I don't even recall them asking) because the very first stop will be Senor Frogs. (They encourage people to go there). Once you get off there, you are at the back of Senor Frogs and you walk to your left and that's Blue Kay. :)