Mitsugirly's extensive back to belly sun & sky review

mitsugirly

Super easy. Just wind your way through the port and head out. The minute that you walk out and are on the sidewalk, there will be a stand directly in front of you and there will be people there asking what you need and if you need a ride (not the normal taxi drivers bugging you). They will point you to the ticket booth and the shuttle is right beside that. You can't miss it.

You honestly don't really need to tell the driver where you are going (I don't even recall them asking) because the very first stop will be Senor Frogs. (They encourage people to go there). Once you get off there, you are at the back of Senor Frogs and you walk to your left and that's Blue Kay. :)

Thank You! Thank YOU! THANK YOU!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, love. love, love your reviews and pictures!!! thank you. We're thinking of the Sun October 2016. Any suggestions as to which side lets you see the port areas? We usually book portside for that reason. Also, any input, which you haven't already stated, with regard to good cabins portside? we're thinking of 8th or 9th deck, BD category, toward back elevator. How has the food been? hope not over salty :-) I'm 5'2",can I stand in the pool? I do not swim and my feet must touch the bottom LOL. Thanks so much in advance and do keep up the excellent reviews. Safe sails to you always :-)

Wanted to say it's been a year since we sailed with you guys. This past week, our furry group was on the NCL Get-a-way while I was on the Allure of the Seas. Keep your eyes posted if you guys want to join us in 2016 November.

furrycruise.com is our site. and you can follow my below on my Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/RCtheFoxSuit

Edited by RCFox
Added link to FB

Hi, love. love, love your reviews and pictures!!! thank you. We're thinking of the Sun October 2016. Any suggestions as to which side lets you see the port areas? We usually book portside for that reason. Also, any input, which you haven't already stated, with regard to good cabins portside? we're thinking of 8th or 9th deck, BD category, toward back elevator. How has the food been? hope not over salty :-) I'm 5'2",can I stand in the pool? I do not swim and my feet must touch the bottom LOL. Thanks so much in advance and do keep up the excellent reviews. Safe sails to you always :-)

Thanks so much for your comments. We had such a good time on the Sun and I hope you do too.

Honestly, it's hard to tell which side any ship any given day is going to park a certain way. I have always understood it that they rotate back and forth and it also depends on the life boat drills they do when in port. So they have to rotate.

I never book a cabin depending on what side it is, so sorry I can't help you with that. I usually try to book depending on the location to other things on board and also how close it is to the elevators. :D

I'm not a big stickler on food. I can ALWAYS find something that I like and that will more than fill me up...several times throughout the day as a matter of fact. :o

The pools go from 4'5" to 7' so I think you should be ok and the shallow end. :)

When is your next cruise Kim?

It will be in March for Sakari's Spring Break. I haven't had a chance to look into it yet though. One more week of school before this semester is over and then I'll be on the hunt. :D

BTW, I see you will be on the Escape on my birthday next year! Lucky you!

Wanted to say it's been a year since we sailed with you guys. This past week, our furry group was on the NCL Get-a-way while I was on the Allure of the Seas. Keep your eyes posted if you guys want to join us in 2016 November.

furrycruise.com is our site. and you can follow my below on my Facebook.

www.facebook.com/RCtheFoxSuit

Hey RC. Good to hear from you!! We sailed the Getaway the same year that we were on the Sun with you all. We did the Breakaway, Pride and Dawn this year. I haven't booked anything for next year yet. Any ideas where you guys will be cruising next November? We usually try to cruise in November, but we went a little early this year since we wanted to head back to Bermuda for the second time this year.

What did you think of the Allure? It's my goal to cruise on it sometime soon. Where you able to suit up? Any of the other furries go with you on the Allure?

Keep me posted where you all might head next year once you know. I would love to cruise with the furries again (and know Sakari would love to see everyone again. I know she still feels bad about letting go of Keets balloon at the White Hot party :eek:. Thank goodness we were able to chase it down). :D

Come join us!!!

I would absolutely love to and had thought about a "birthday cruise" (especially with this being the big five-0 YIKES). But several factors are keeping me from booking. 1) Sakari is in school during this time and I would hate to take her out for a second week during this school year and 2) February is the absolute worse month, weather wise, in Ohio. For the last 5+ years, this is when we have received the most snow...which equal delayed flights and travel. :( I would just hate to get caught up in something like that because truth be known, I'm scared to death of snow and driving in it (due to a bad accident when I was 18 and totaled a car in the snow). I didn't drive in snow for over 25 years after my accident. So, anxiety is not my friend with snow. But who knows. Every once in awhile I get out of my comfort zone. :D

Thanks for your reply, Kim...If we go, we'll figure it out. Right now prices are high for balconies + air fare from NJ to SAN. Oct. '16 is a way off. Will follow the prices for several months and decide. We were on Regal Princess repo in Oct. BIG ship. very pretty...a bit of negatives over-weighed the positives, sorry to say. Think we'll stick to smaller, friendlier ships as in the past.

Happy and safe Holidays!

• 2 months later...
Of all the places you went to in Costa Maya, what was your favorite? We get on the Dawn Sunday!!!

In Costa Maya, my favorites are (in order of the places I have been to):

1) Blue Kay (favorite, easiest and quickest to get to and cheapest)

2) Almaplena

3) Maya Chan

4) Nohoch Kay (didn't care for it at all).

:)

Thanks! Blue Kay it is! Do weneed to book in advance or just show up?

Nope. No need to book ahead of time. Just simply walk outside the port, pay $3 pp to ride the bus/trolley. It's the first stop, they stop at Senior Frogs. Once you get off, walk to the left of Senior Frogs and that is Blue Kay. :)

I did read awhile back that Costa Maya in general has been having some issues with seaweed. Hopefully they have managed to clean it up and it's back to its beautiful self on the beaches.

Please report when you get back and let me know what you think. :)

RE: LFK

Does the lion stay in his cage? And is it easy to avoid the jaguar? I'm going to come out and admit they scare me... but the rest of the island seems just beyond perfect. Funny thing is I'd ruled out LFK on day one of researching months ago because of the price (we are a family of 8) and the big cats. But this past Thursday it really sunk in how strongly you recommend it and I looked up their website and was blown away by the photos in the gallery. I sent them a reservation inquiry and they were so prompt and clearly have a much better sense of customer service than many other places I've tried to communicate with throughout the Caribbean. I was impressed. I sent the links to DH and even though we are spending way too much money b/t this cruise, the excursions and the week at WDW before hand -- he is really eager to do this place. :)

I just made time to reread this review and I am so excited about LFK....

but I'm still freaked out a little about those big cats.

RE: LFK

Does the lion stay in his cage? And is it easy to avoid the jaguar? I'm going to come out and admit they scare me... but the rest of the island seems just beyond perfect. Funny thing is I'd ruled out LFK on day one of researching months ago because of the price (we are a family of 8) and the big cats. But this past Thursday it really sunk in how strongly you recommend it and I looked up their website and was blown away by the photos in the gallery. I sent them a reservation inquiry and they were so prompt and clearly have a much better sense of customer service than many other places I've tried to communicate with throughout the Caribbean. I was impressed. I sent the links to DH and even though we are spending way too much money b/t this cruise' date=' the excursions and the week at WDW before hand -- he is really eager to do this place. :)

I just made time to reread this review and I am so excited about LFK....

but I'm still freaked out a little about those big cats.[/quote']

Absolutely no worries about the big cats. The lion stays in his huge cage and he (and all the animals) are over in an area basically in the middle of the island. You can go to the various beaches and not even be around them. They do not let him out. Simba the jaguar is not there. (Long story short, someone came in and raided the place and took a bunch of the animals without permission and they are fighting for them back. Simba is one of them they took and he was the only cat they allowed out of the cage and did the swims with him). :)

I hope you have a wonderful day there. They have added so much more since the last time we were there and it looks even more beautiful. If you are on their social media site (or website) you will see all the beautiful pictures of the place and all the added things they now have to make even nicer. I can't wait to get back there again. They actually just built a new "resort home" that you can actually book and STAY there. It's absolutely beautiful, 3 bedrooms and private. Maybe some day. :)

Absolutely no worries about the big cats. The lion stays in his huge cage and he (and all the animals) are over in an area basically in the middle of the island. You can go to the various beaches and not even be around them. They do not let him out. Simba the jaguar is not there. (Long story short, someone came in and raided the place and took a bunch of the animals without permission and they are fighting for them back. Simba is one of them they took and he was the only cat they allowed out of the cage and did the swims with him). :)

I hope you have a wonderful day there. They have added so much more since the last time we were there and it looks even more beautiful. If you are on their social media site (or website) you will see all the beautiful pictures of the place and all the added things they now have to make even nicer. I can't wait to get back there again. They actually just built a new "resort home" that you can actually book and STAY there. It's absolutely beautiful, 3 bedrooms and private. Maybe some day. :)

Somehow I missed this conversation...Where are the big cats referred to?

Thanks so much. We did Blue Kay in 12/15 and loved it except for the truly awful pina colada.

Did have trouble finding anyone to drive us there though...Didn't see taxis, etc. when we disembarked. Started to walk, but then hailed a taxi.

Somehow I missed this conversation...Where are the big cats referred to?

Thanks so much. We did Blue Kay in 12/15 and loved it except for the truly awful pina colada.

Did have trouble finding anyone to drive us there though...Didn't see taxis, etc. when we disembarked. Started to walk, but then hailed a taxi.

You catch the trolley/bus right outside the port to take you over to Blue Kay. In order to take a taxi, you have to walk outside the gates and down the road to the taxi stand. That's probably what happened. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again! I remember seeing a link in your post for another person's good Dream trip report, but couldn't find it when I went back to look for it. If you have this easily accessible somewhere, can you post this again please.

Also, do you know how long of a ride it is to LFK from port?

Tx again for all you do.

Barbara

Hi again! I remember seeing a link in your post for another person's good Dream trip report, but couldn't find it when I went back to look for it. If you have this easily accessible somewhere, can you post this again please.

Also, do you know how long of a ride it is to LFK from port?

Tx again for all you do.

Barbara

Hi. Hmm, I'm not sure who else I would have linked to. Sorry.

Yep, I know EXACTLY how long it takes (well, that's if you are going to the Coxenhole port for NCL). I took pictures of my watch when we left and another picture when we arrived (that's my OCD way of keeping track of the time for my reviews lol). It was 1:54 when we left and 2:23 when we arrived. So approximately 29 minutes. :D

If you are going from Mahogany Bay (where Carnival docks), it takes 10 minutes from Coxenhole to get to Mahogany Bay, according to my watch, so that would mean that Mahogany Bay is 19 minutes from LFK. :)

Love to snorkel and are somewhat hooked on amount of fish, ease of snorkeling, inexpensive cost, great salsa and atmosphere at Chankanaab.

How would you compare your LFK and Chankanaab experiences? Given one choice, which one would it be?

Tx - love your reports.

Barbara

Love to snorkel and are somewhat hooked on amount of fish, ease of snorkeling, inexpensive cost, great salsa and atmosphere at Chankanaab.

How would you compare your LFK and Chankanaab experiences? Given one choice, which one would it be?

Tx - love your reports.

Barbara

Snorkeling from the shore at LFK is not going to be anything like Chankanaab. You will have to go out on the snorkel boat they have. Although I have tried to do this several times, I have missed the boat but can tell you that we took the kayaks out there and it was AMAZING! Like seriously amazing in the area we were in. I had never seen such huge coral formations in any other place I have snorkeled. I did notice this time around that people were swimming out from the "new" beach they have (which is facing toward the place they take you snorkeling) and they were WAY out there, but still able to stand up. So you might even be able to swim there (of course depending on the tide/time of year). One of my reviews (the last time we were there before now) shows us looking down into the water from the kayak.

LFK and Chankanaab are totally two different kinds of places. I can't express the beauty there is at LFK. Such serenity, peaceful, heavenly looking type of place, even without the snorkeling. I know that Chankanaab has changed so much since I was there last. I want to go back to check it out, but yet every time I go to Cozumel, I try to go someplace different. One day I'll make it back there to see. If I was told I had to pick one place or the other on a cruise, I would pick LFK just because of the place and not based off snorkeling. :)

• 2 weeks later...