Mitsugirly's extensive back to belly sun & sky review

mitsugirly

Hi there....

Do you recall if the kids pool on the Sun was heated?

Heading up to Alaska first week in June.... Pand looking into diving suits for my squirrel....

As always..... Thank you

Aj

I don't believe that any of the kids pools are heated. ?? Maybe someone else can answer for sure, but I have never felt any that were heated other than by the sunshine.

I don't believe that any of the kids pools are heated. ?? Maybe someone else can answer for sure, but I have never felt any that were heated other than by the sunshine.

Thanks, I was hoping it was. We were on Costa Luminosa TA last Spring and the kids pool was heated..... What a treat :)

Aj

Hi there....

Do you recall if the kids pool on the Sun was heated?

Heading up to Alaska first week in June.... Pand looking into diving suits for my squirrel....

As always..... Thank you

Aj

We did Alaska on the jewel last summer. The pools were heated but some days warmer than other. I assume the Sun would be the same.

We did Alaska on the jewel last summer. The pools were heated but some days warmer than other. I assume the Sun would be the same.

Thanks.....

I am bringing wet suits instead of bathing suits for both of us.... But a bit of warm water will make the sea days.... My child should have been a mermaid!

Thanks

AJ

• 3 weeks later...
Final thoughts on Little French Key.

I absolutely love this place. I fell in love with it last May when we were there and I fell in love with it even more this time around.

I think it's the most beautiful place ever. When you think of the Caribbean: crystal clear blue water, you think of this place. It's just post card picture perfect.

There are only a few select places that I have visited and actually said "I will go back there some day" or "I would visit again in a heartbeat" (Chankanaab, Maya Key and LFK). After this visit, this is the only place that I said "When I go back there, I WILL return to this place!" I usually try to find something new and different...but with LFK, I have found my paradise and really don't desire anything else.

*The grounds are gorgeous!

*The animals are fun and a great experience and well taken care of

*The food was good

*Several beaches to retreat to is awesome

*There's plenty of space for everyone

*The jumping deck is a lot of fun

*The owners are delightful and kind

*The snorkeling is amazing

*The canoing is a lot of fun

*All of the additions they have made just adds charm to the place

My only complaints (and they are not really "complaints", just thoughts/suggestions if it was my place):

*There needs to be a better system in place for the snorkeling tour. There were no announcements of when it was, no direction or times. There needs to be maybe a "set" time for the boat to go out that everyone knows about. For instance-tell everyone that the snorkeling boat will take tours out to the reef at...say 11am and 1pm and you should meet at _____. That way you know WHEN it is and WHERE to meet so that you don't miss your snorkeling tour that you paid for. You shouldn't have to run around trying to find someone to take you. I hate the "unknown".

*The food-obviously LFK knows how many people they have on the island during the day. The meals should be prepared and ready (together). You shouldn't "run out" of a particular item or be waiting on it only not to be served the entire meal in the end. I know there's a lot of people there and there's no way that anyone can remember "Hey, we still owe them a lobster tail". It's just impossible to remember who all that might be. Although the food that we did eat was good and I was completely full by the time I was done eating, I love lobster and missed it (so does Sakari).

*The division in the lagoon created now because of Carnival is just heartbreaking. It was so natural and beautiful before. Now, it looks more touristy with the buoys and ropes. Then you have to look over and see and line up of chairs facing you. If people would have been in the chairs, it would have been as if they were starring over and thinking "man, I wish I would have booked that place instead" glaring with envy. :p

*Horseback riding. I follow LFK on fb and I have seen pictures of the horseback riding since they first began doing this. All of the pictures that I have seen online show them riding in the lagoon area...the beautiful crystal blue sandy bottom ocean. Riding in the muddy ugly area with sea grass and big rocks just does not make the experience enjoyable. I just wonder if this is now going to be a permanent thing, since the horse stable area is over there or if they will continue to bring the horses around to the lagoon area. Maybe it was just us and our ride (since it was complimentary). I don't know.

*Swimming with the jaguar-wow, hopefully some day we will get to try this (if not with Simba, hopefully they'll have another young jaguar that will allow it). Being that close to one was amazing. Swimming and getting to pet it has to be even more amazing.

*The price-I have seen a lot of people on here mention that the price is just too high. There are several packages to pick from, so the choice is yours. However, if you think about it, there are so many places to go to anywhere in the Caribbean and normally the prices don't come with complete transportation. So that is an added expense. Let's break this down a bit: Everyone on these boards seem to love Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. People don't think twice about paying $55 (I think it is) to go there. (Yes I know you are comparing green apples to red apples because Nachi is a true AI, but just comparing). That $55 does NOT include your transportation, which depends on how many in your party: could be about $17 for 1-4 people (coming from Punta Lagosta). So now add $34 to your round trip transportation cost and it has now cost you $89 for this trip. It's really not much different IMO than what they charge here with the transportation to and from the port and the boat ride to and from the island. Just something to think about. :)

All in all, there's not much that I would change about this place. It is almost perfect and we had the perfect day (even with a few bloopers).

I will always HIGHLY recommend this place to everyone on here. It's just that good! :)

Another question for you if u don't mind..I read your 2016 review of lfk and it seemed u had problems kayaking this time....were u able to take the kayak to the reed like this time? Or do they not allow that anymore

Another question for you if u don't mind..I read your 2016 review of lfk and it seemed u had problems kayaking this time....were u able to take the kayak to the reed like this time? Or do they not allow that anymore

We have never taken the kayaks actually all the way out to the reef. Last time we just went over the sea grass area and a little further and it was amazing to see the massive coral formations from there.

This time when we went, we started from another beach (the new one) and that's when they told us we couldn't go out (stating it was too shallow to cross). It was probably just leaving from that area and not the area over by the lagoon side (which is where we left from before). I did see people out in the kayaking further out and that meant that they probably started on the lagoon side and circled around to the area I was wanting to get to. :)

Thanks for your help! Would u choose lfk over west bay? This is my first time to Roatan and love to snorkel

I personally would chose LFK over anything because of the place itself. But that's just me. Since I have been there 3 times and never went out to the snorkel site, it's hard to comment on the difference between snorkeling at each site and compare them. I know what I seen just in the canoe at LFK was amazing. At West Bay, the day we were there the water was stirred up and it has been a few years ago since we went. So many factors go in to my decision about that place, such as our daughter was only 3 at the time and just learning to swim along with us, so we couldn't go out too far because when she would get tired, she would have to jump on our backs for a ride, which meant our safety having to hold her factored in to the snorkeling as well. One of the things I didn't care for at West Bay was all the vendors that hound you non-stop. They would even come out in the water to try to get you to buy things. LOL :eek: Everyone always comments about West Bay being the most beautiful beach. I didn't personally think it was too special compared to other beaches I have been to and certainly not ANYTHING compared to the beauty at LFK. :)

Whnever I feel like reading cruise reviews, I always look to read or reread yours. :)

Aww thanks. I appreciate it. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Just look at that gorgeous water!

PB130062%20copy-L.jpg

They had these big signs along the beach area, each was different. When we were at the end, I decided to have Sakari pose at one and take her picture. I was obviously in such awe of my surroundings, while patting myself on the back for finding such an awesome place that I totally didn't notice what was painted on this one that I happened to take with my child in the picture. LMAO!!! Oops.

PB130064%20copy-L.jpg

Ah, no big deal! As a preschool teacher. It's just "palm trees", when she's a teen, she will make it her profile picture, lol!!

Thank you for your excellent reviews of your shore excursions! I also use google earth, amazing tool! I love that you include "getting there" details and specifics (nothing sets my teeth more than reviews with "this was great", I just wanna scream, "what, WHAT was great about it?!") So your review is super helpful even though I'm on a different cruise line!

I'm looking for something in Costa Maya for our family- pre graduation spring break cruise with hubby and our 2 college students. One who is a design student and will love those folk sculptures everywhere! Also hubby and I love to bike and renting a bike to cruise down the malecon would be a blast! Last time there we went on a snorkel tour and it was so rough, we literally had sea sickness IN the water! :eek:

Anyway, you've done the itinerary we have on Rhapsody in March many times so ill be checking out a few of your reviews! Thank you for writing them, and if you are ever heading somewhere I've been- check out mine below in my signature!

Ah, no big deal! As a preschool teacher. It's just "palm trees", when she's a teen, she will make it her profile picture, lol!!

Thank you for your excellent reviews of your shore excursions! I also use google earth, amazing tool! I love that you include "getting there" details and specifics (nothing sets my teeth more than reviews with "this was great", I just wanna scream, "what, WHAT was great about it?!") So your review is super helpful even though I'm on a different cruise line!

I'm looking for something in Costa Maya for our family- pre graduation spring break cruise with hubby and our 2 college students. One who is a design student and will love those folk sculptures everywhere! Also hubby and I love to bike and renting a bike to cruise down the malecon would be a blast! Last time there we went on a snorkel tour and it was so rough, we literally had sea sickness IN the water! :eek:

Anyway, you've done the itinerary we have on Rhapsody in March many times so ill be checking out a few of your reviews! Thank you for writing them, and if you are ever heading somewhere I've been- check out mine below in my signature!

Thanks for the words of encouragement about the "palm trees". Kids grow up so quickly these days and they learn everything from the other kids at school and she comes home with shocking information all the time. I just want to protect her as best I can and shelter her from these other kids that know way too much for their age. (The other day she taught me what "balls" were...and not the type you bounce :eek: Heard it from a boy at school of course and this momma was not pleased). :o

I would love to check out your reviews. I just wish they had the ports visited listed so I knew which ones to check out. LOL I'm always up for some place new. :)

I hadnt read this review yet from you (Mitsugirly) but OMG when this popped up on my new CC feed .... I looked at the first image with the rocks and was thinking " ok so where is Sakuri and why an issue?" THEN I scrolled down and saw the NEXT pic WITH Sakuri and almost fell outta my chair. Love it !

Thanks for the words of encouragement about the "palm trees". Kids grow up so quickly these days and they learn everything from the other kids at school and she comes home with shocking information all the time. I just want to protect her as best I can and shelter her from these other kids that know way too much for their age. (The other day she taught me what "balls" were...and not the type you bounce :eek: Heard it from a boy at school of course and this momma was not pleased). :o

I would love to check out your reviews. I just wish they had the ports visited listed so I knew which ones to check out. LOL I'm always up for some place new. :)

Not to turn this into a mommy blog, but I found the best thing was to let my girls know there wasn't ANYTHING they couldn't tell me about school, or say to me, nothing would shock me. The good part of that is when they come home with....umm...new vocabulary ;) we could have "the talk" about what that all means and how it fits (or not! :eek:) in our families values. One of the best things we did was use the "real" words from the get go, matter of fact, no silly stuff or shame, that takes the "tee hee hee" out of a lot of what they hear at school! The good part is they have made great decisions, (so far at 19 &21) so at least in my little sample of two, it works!

Back to ports, most of our cruises were Eastern Caribbean. Expect the River cruises, Galapagos, Panama Canal and French Polynesia. The easiest way to find reviews of the ports we did is to see our website, down the right side I have all the destinations listed alphabetically. At the top of our site I have drop downs for trip reports and ship tours. I don't have everywhere up there yet, since I only started a year and 1/2 ago, but I add the new ones as they come up and keep doing old ones when I have time. I really don't feel like I have the room on CC to list/review all the places we've been, so the site gives us more space to report! Check it out!

Meanwhile, I'm reading your reports for Roatan, Belize and other options than the pukey snorkel trip for Costa Maya! ;) I love Cozumel too.

Not to turn this into a mommy blog, but I found the best thing was to let my girls know there wasn't ANYTHING they couldn't tell me about school, or say to me, nothing would shock me. The good part of that is when they come home with....umm...new vocabulary ;) we could have "the talk" about what that all means and how it fits (or not! :eek:) in our families values. One of the best things we did was use the "real" words from the get go, matter of fact, no silly stuff or shame, that takes the "tee hee hee" out of a lot of what they hear at school! The good part is they have made great decisions, (so far at 19 &21) so at least in my little sample of two, it works!

Back to ports, most of our cruises were Eastern Caribbean. Expect the River cruises, Galapagos, Panama Canal and French Polynesia. The easiest way to find reviews of the ports we did is to see our website, down the right side I have all the destinations listed alphabetically. At the top of our site I have drop downs for trip reports and ship tours. I don't have everywhere up there yet, since I only started a year and 1/2 ago, but I add the new ones as they come up and keep doing old ones when I have time. I really don't feel like I have the room on CC to list/review all the places we've been, so the site gives us more space to report! Check it out!

Meanwhile, I'm reading your reports for Roatan, Belize and other options than the pukey snorkel trip for Costa Maya! ;) I love Cozumel too.

I went to the blog listed in your signature and to the right side of the page and the only port I see that I recognize (or have been to) is St Maarten. Maybe I'm not doing something right? :confused: I never have understood or got the concept of how blogs work, which is why I haven't really done one yet with all my port reviews. I started once, but it was so overwhelming and I just really don't get it (my way around it, how it all ties together and how to find things). :o

Oh, I almost forgot, I book marked your site because once my eyes get better I want to read up on the Alaska trip...something I never saw myself wanting to do, but want to experience it because of the adventure and the "new" animals that Sakari would get to experience.

Edited by mitsugirly

• 2 weeks later...

Your underwater pictures are absolutely amazing! What kind of camera did you use? (I'm sorry if you have answered this before. Reading makes me dizzy and I have to limit it and this is a very long thread) Thank you!

Your underwater pictures are absolutely amazing! What kind of camera did you use? (I'm sorry if you have answered this before. Reading makes me dizzy and I have to limit it and this is a very long thread) Thank you!

I have 2 camera's, both Olympus Tough point and shoot. There are many models out there, but I have a 620 and 830. :)

And your put them in underwater protective cases? We tried last cruise with a digital camera in the waterproof case. While you can see turtles and fish, the overall picture came out blue, which distorted the colors in the coral and fish. It was really disappointing.

And your put them in underwater protective cases? We tried last cruise with a digital camera in the waterproof case. While you can see turtles and fish, the overall picture came out blue, which distorted the colors in the coral and fish. It was really disappointing.

Nope it's a waterproof camera

Nope, this camera is waterproof and you don't have to put it in anything. They take excellent pictures under water, above water and pretty decent pictures at night. All the pictures you see in my reviews (both above and under water) are taken with them. :)

Thanks so much for the great write-up and gorgeous pictures. I was wondering if there is anywhere to store valuables when you are all in the water. Thanks!

No problem. I hope you have a wonderful time if/when you go. :)

Are there lockers at Blue Cay?

Oh, I'm sorry. Someone ask that question lately and I thought you might have been the person and was just saying thank you for answering it. Oops. I'm sorry.

Yes, they have lockers at Blue Kay. :)

PB130155%20copy-L.jpg