Is having no light at night a big deal?

hlb76

Someone in our group just found out that we will not have use of our balcony light at night as we are very forward on the ship.

I guess I never thought much about it. I also never knew we would not have use of our light until he stumbled on a you-tube video of his room.

I'm thinking it wont be a big deal but trying to calm him down so I figured I'd ask opinions here.

Hmm? I don't think we ever sit out on the balcony at night so we wouldn't miss the light at all. We are usually busy doing shipboard activities most nights.

If you are in port late then sitting on your balcony and watching the lights on shore would probably also be fine without a light. Wondering what the light would be used for in the evening?

Reading, but since the balcony light interferes with the safe navigation of the ship the balcony lights are turned off from the bridge at dusk.

A backlit ereader (like a kindle paperwhite) or a book light is a good thing to have

Yep! They turn them off for you. Our first balcony room with our son (then 2), the plan was to take him to bed and read/relax over a cocktail on the balcony for a while. It just turned into a relax listening to the ocean with a drink instead!

Hopefully you will still get plenty of use out of your balcony.

Kim

Reading, but since the balcony light interferes with the safe navigation of the ship the balcony lights are turned off from the bridge at dusk.

This has been our experience as well. We hardly ever used our balcony light in any case, but I do recall that when underway, they were non-functional, having been turned off at the bridge. Never an issue for us as first, there is plenty of indirect light from the stateroom with the curtains open, and second, we enjoyed watching the stars and moonlight on the sea when closed.

Someone in our group just found out that we will not have use of our balcony light at night as we are very forward on the ship.

I guess I never thought much about it. I also never knew we would not have use of our light until he stumbled on a you-tube video of his room.

I'm thinking it wont be a big deal but trying to calm him down so I figured I'd ask opinions here.

In 50+ cruises, we have only had a balcony three times. What I don't want is for my neighbors to leave their light on. If you need a light for the overnight hours, bring a small night light for the room; but, please be considerate of your balcony neighbors with regard to the light and the balcony door. We have had a balcony where they left the light on at all hours of the night (Carnival Spirit 2012) and let the door slam, again at all hours of the night. It is rude!

So, it would appear the answer could be, not having a light on the balcony is NOT a big deal.

We never have our lights on on the balcony at night. It is so peaceful just watching the stars and being in the dark. In all reality, I find it most annoying when the next cabin over has their light on and especially when they leave it on when they go to bed.

I like to leave our drape/curtain open a bit at night so that the morning light shines in and wakes us up. When the next cabin light is on all night, we can't do that. I have heard that some people read on their balcony at night, but I would do that in bed, not outside. I guess leaving the light one equates, to me, those who talk really loudly or play loud music on the balcony. Rude, but that's just my opinion.

I've never put mine on.

Just tell him when in Rome to do as the Romans do. There are plenty of reasons to not have a light on the balcony at night. To calm him down, teach him how to enjoy the water and the moon. That is very special and most of us don't get to enjoy those special gifts at home, and very much look forward to them on a cruise. Hopefully he's not one of those whiny guys who is just looking for a reason not to have a good time. If he is, nothing you say will make a difference. Some guys are just like that.

we turn the cabin lights off-- close the curtains and sit out there.

It IS nice--peaceful listening to the waters.. seeing the night sky away from the lights.

I agree with the above poster who mentioned the balcony lights from neighbors cabins-- it is just rude..especially if you are not out there.

we turn the cabin lights off-- close the curtains and sit out there.

It IS nice--peaceful listening to the waters.. seeing the night sky away from the lights.

I agree with the above poster who mentioned the balcony lights from neighbors cabins-- it is just rude..especially if you are not out there.

I agree. It's very rude to leave your balcony light on at night. Too bad that can't disable them all.

Sue

I agree. It's very rude to leave your balcony light on at night. Too bad that can't disable them all.

Sue

If it truly concerns you, book a balcony room next to the bridge. Otherwise, there is nothing you can do about it besides talking to them and hope they show consideration.

Sue

You can ask the cabin steward to turn it off. He can if no one is in the cabin

You can also leave a note on the door of the people. Some are unaware that there is a switch by the balcony door