Baggage Handling On QM2 Is Vicious!

Griller

Just finished a long rant about our week on QM2 - still online now using up the generous 480 minutes internet time - and thought I should finish my draft Guinness - naughty me drinking in the computer room -

and go back to put my big suitcase out at 1am- lots still out in the corridors - and on exiting the Stairwell B elevator on deck 5 I saw the baggage handling guys loading cages with suitcases ready to go down in the elevator -

Boy Oh Boy were they throwing those cases into the cages, no wonder passengers report there is damage to cases and contents, and these are Cunard employees, not sure if they are laundry or cleaners or what but they really do NOT take any care of the cases.

So in spite of Cunard always blaming the longshoremen/stevedores on shore it really probably is not them at fault.

Anyway I am now going to take mine off myself tomorrow, its got good wheels and is a decent Samsonite, it would be nice to keep it in good condition.

Edited by Griller

On a Celebrity cruise a few years ago, the handle of one of our suitcases broke between us leaving it at the embarkation point and it reaching our cabin. We complained and they fixed it for us. Unfortunately by the time we disembarked from the ship it broke again. This time we were told to buy a replacement case and send the invoice to Head Office. Money was refunded with no problems whatsoever.

The baggage handling matches my observations too. Which is why I won't get a "spinner" bag - the exposed wheels easily get snapped off as they snag the cage and the weight of other bags gets piled on top. It's not unique to the cruise industry. Whenever I've seen a fairly new bag discarded in the curbside trash it invariably has a wheel set snapped off.

As internet accounts are closed around 22.00 hrs the evening before disembarkation, I feel Griller's "reviews" are a load of tosh.

My account was still running at 8.15 this morning and for the entire day in New York. I don't want to comment on his comments but I was on deck 5 and had no noise issues, no toilet or shower problems and my food was always fairly warm.

Edited by capnpugwash

My account was still running at 8.15 this morning and for the entire day in New York. I don't want to comment on his comments but I was on deck 5 and had no noise issues, no toilet or shower problems and my food was always fairly warm.

Are you on a round trip?

As internet accounts are closed around 22.00 hrs the evening before disembarkation, I feel Griller's "reviews" are a load of tosh.

Puchasing of internet is disabled at 10pm on the last night of a voyage but your minutes are still usable until the next morning, and you are a very rude person.

Ah! your cabin was not next to the pantry, you had a different bathroom to us and you must have not been on table 202 in Britannia............... such small differences can make for a better cruise.

Lucky you!

Let's not feed the troll folks..............

I wasn't going to get involved until this happened., please note this from the rules of the forum...

""If you were thinking of calling someone a troll, don't do it."

Its highlighted in red and bold.

Olliesmum has been around for a long time and is highly respected by most of us and I doubt how you described her as.

Edited by roscoe39

I wasn't going to get involved until this happened., please note this from the rules of the forum...

""If you were thinking of calling someone a troll, don't do it."

Its highlighted in red and bold.

Olliesmum has been around for a long time and is highly respected by most of us and I doubt how you described her as.

Well she has been insulting me today, is that in the rules?

No wonder I don't come on here very often

Nice friends you got.

Well she has been insulting me today, is that in the rules?

No wonder I don't come on here very often

Nice friends you got.

Hi Griller., I know its frustrating when you come to vent and you expect one reaction and you get another.

Rather than resort to name calling perhaps you could use either the ignore button for a poster you don't like or if you feel that you are being insulted report the matter.

Name calling only brings the board into disrepute and makes you look like you are the instigator and childish.

Roscoe

Hi Griller., I know its frustrating when you come to vent and you expect one reaction and you get another.

Rather than resort to name calling perhaps you could use either the ignore button for a poster you don't like or if you feel that you are being insulted report the matter.

Name calling only brings the board into disrepute and makes you look like you are the instigator and childish.

Roscoe

GEEZE listen to me on my high horse...can we all go back to the sand box now?

nice hawaiian shirt by the way griller

Edited by roscoe39

How Ironic.

Using your Cunard Internet Time/Computer to trash your trip on Cunard.

I just got off the Liberty of the Seas. A total disaster of a trip. I went with the InLaws. NEVER AGAIN. I really should write a comparison about it soon to my last QV trip.

But my luggage was hurt also. Oddly enough the zippers on both bags were damaged, the pull part was removed from the zipper it self. I am sure the handlers snagged it on something but BOTH bags?

My point is that I think the bag handling thing is on all the ships. I can't imagine being one of the staff assigned to lift and tote bags on a weekly basis. It must get very tedious and the heavy bags stuffed with clothing and such must get to the guys.

Puchasing of internet is disabled at 10pm on the last night of a voyage but your minutes are still usable until the next morning, and you are a very rude person.

I'm not sure I'd label "Tosh" as very rude. I thought it was rather cute. There's lots more rude things someone could say!

The funny thing is , I'm on the QM2 at the moment ( last min booking to catch up with friends) ....Thought I'd check out who 'Derek' was ( see OPs previous post) ..now the funny thing is ( when I asked) No one had ever heard of a crew member with the name of Derek who would be standing at the doors of the Britannia restaurant reminding guests 'particularly on an embarkation night' of the dress code :D ...

The funny thing is , I'm on the QM2 at the moment ( last min booking to catch up with friends) ....Thought I'd check out who 'Derek' was ( see OPs previous post) ..now the funny thing is ( when I asked) No one had ever heard of a crew member with the name of Derek who would be standing at the doors of the Britannia restaurant reminding guests 'particularly on an embarkation night' of the dress code :D ...

Maybe Derek is a generic term for people who stand at the restraunt door baring people wearing annoying jackets.

David.

I agree with the OP's comments about the barely warm/cold food in the Britannia restaurant, we were on the same crossing and didn't have one hot meal in the whole week (table 232 late sitting). No problems with noise or the bathroom but we were on deck 6 not deck 5. We also had the worst waiters we've ever had on a cruise - so bad that for the first time in 20 cruises we didn't give a gratuity. Every night we had to ask for more rolls and then for more butter as there was just enough on the table for one roll each, we also had to ask for our water glasses to be refilled even though one gentleman at our table had explained that he needed his water to be constantly topped-up as he needed to take medication during the course of the meal. On the last night we didn't have our order taken until 9.00 despite all being at the table by 8.30 and finally finished our meal at 10.45.

Gill

Last year our suitcases turned up muddy and one with a handle broken. We complained to the purser's desk, they didn't record it. 5 days later I complained again, she apologised for forgetting to record it and they fixed handle. Great I thought, as airlines normally just replace for the most minor damage and you end up with too many suitcases.

On disembarkation however, we noted the other suitcase (gift case for expat brits) had a number of damaged items, including bashed/crushed baked bean cans (yes I know), smashed Gold blend jar (heavily bubble wrapped) and a bashed metal scooter (an xmas gift for nephew).

It looks like our case was crushed or dropped from a great height as at least metal items should not dent.

We complained to HO. They replied well as you said their seems to be no record... I guess they took that line as I couldn't be bothered to express my outrage over a ruined cruise, xmas, my nephews psychological trauma, and ask for costs over £25 or less worth of damaged goods!!"