Does Size Really Matter; understanding Oceania pricing

G&G

We just completed our 5th cruise on Oceania; first time on their smaller ship, Regatta. Once again we had an excellent cruise experience and will continue to sail with Oceania. The only negative issue I found on this cruise was the cabin.

We were in Cabin 6089, B2 Verandah. The balcony had a partial obstructed view.

I was surprised that the price of the cabin was the same as the other B2 cabins on Deck 6. Other cruise lines discount these types of cabins with partial obstructed view.

The other issue with the cabin was the size, 216 sq ft, and especially the size of the bathroom; the smallest bathroom I had ever seen after 52 cruises. But here is the rub. The cabins (B2) on the Riviera and Marina are 30% larger with very large bathroom, separate shower and tub, yet Oceania charges the same price for the cabins on similar itineraries.

In late Nov 2015/early Dec 2015, the Regatta and Riviera sail similar itineraries in the eastern Caribbean, both 10 days, out of Miami. A B2 cabin on the Riviera is $3,399; on the Regatta $3,899.

Do you think Oceania should reduce pricing on the smaller ships based on cabin size, obstructed views, etc ?

The issues with cabin and bathroom size are precisely why we now avoid booking cruises on an "R" ship. (Our experience is on Azamara, but it's the same problem.)

And yes, IMO obstructed view cabins should be priced lower. Perhaps this will eventually change now that PCH has been purchased by NCLH.

We just completed our 5th cruise on Oceania; first time on their smaller ship, Regatta. Once again we had an excellent cruise experience and will continue to sail with Oceania. The only negative issue I found on this cruise was the cabin.

We were in Cabin 6089, B2 Verandah. The balcony had a partial obstructed view.

I was surprised that the price of the cabin was the same as the other B2 cabins on Deck 6. Other cruise lines discount these types of cabins with partial obstructed view.

The other issue with the cabin was the size, 216 sq ft, and especially the size of the bathroom; the smallest bathroom I had ever seen after 52 cruises. But here is the rub. The cabins (B2) on the Riviera and Marina are 30% larger with very large bathroom, separate shower and tub, yet Oceania charges the same price for the cabins on similar itineraries.

In late Nov 2015/early Dec 2015, the Regatta and Riviera sail similar itineraries in the eastern Caribbean, both 10 days, out of Miami. A B2 cabin on the Riviera is $3,399; on the Regatta $3,899.

Do you think Oceania should reduce pricing on the smaller ships based on cabin size, obstructed views, etc ?

Does not matter what we think. It's a matter of supply and demand. They will charge what people are willing to pay. Apparently they think people are willing to pay for the smaller ships since they are now acquiring one more. Itinerary is the key.

If you do not care for the smaller ships, do not sail them. There are as many people who prefer the smaller ships to the larger O-class ships to "even up the score." We do not sail the larger ships. We would pay "more" for the smaller ship experience. Others only sail Marina and Riviera -- they prefer "newer," more restaurant opportunities and larger cabins for the most part. Value is subjective.

Not sure what the OV is

If you lean over the rail you cannot see aft completely because of the window washing apparatus & the top of the balcony the ship structure slopes a bit but it really is NOT an OV

Try on of the cabins where the lifeboats are :rolleyes:

Not sure what the OV is

If you lean over the rail you cannot see aft completely because of the window washing apparatus & the top of the balcony the ship structure slopes a bit but it really is NOT an OV

The only time I lean over the rail is when I am feeling sick :eek: !

As far as the OV, there is a steel plate that is diagonal along the rear of the balcony that obstructs 25-30% of your view from inside the cabin. Oceania states in their description of this cabin that it is a POV.

As far as the OV, there is a steel plate that is diagonal along the rear of the balcony that obstructs 25-30% of your view from inside the cabin. Oceania states in their description of this cabin that it is a POV.

In the grand scheme of things it really only obstruct the sky views but it may be important to people to have this view

I would argue the point with someone at O who can change the price point

Not sure what the OV is

+1

The view is not obstructed at all on 6089, the roof of the Veranda is unusual because of the shape and styling of the ship :confused:

102944.jpg

The computers are set up to price by category, not by cabin. Imagine the size, and confusion, of the brochures if every cabin with a slight difference had a different price point. There are differences in the cabins, it's up to you to adequately research the differences and make your choice based on what's important to you. Was that partially obstructed view cabin the only B2 available?

Does not matter what we think. It's a matter of supply and demand. They will charge what people are willing to pay. Apparently they think people are willing to pay for the smaller ships since they are now acquiring one more. Itinerary is the key.

If you do not care for the smaller ships, do not sail them. There are as many people who prefer the smaller ships to the larger O-class ships to "even up the score." We do not sail the larger ships. We would pay "more" for the smaller ship experience. Others only sail Marina and Riviera -- they prefer "newer," more restaurant opportunities and larger cabins for the most part. Value is subjective.

plus 2

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

+1

The view is not obstructed at all on 6089, the roof of the Veranda is unusual because of the shape and styling of the ship :confused:

102944.jpg

My wife & I were in Cabin 6089 for 15 days and we both agree there was a partial obstructed view; and I never disagree with my wife :eek: !

In addition, before selecting this cabin, the travel agent at Oceania specifically told us that this cabin had a partial obstructed view on the balcony.

As another example, a similar cruise out in Miami in early December 2015, 10 days, the Owner Suite price are:

Regatta: $952/day/person for 1000 sq ft

Riviera: $1,192/day/person for 2000 sq ft

For an extra 25%, you get double the space on the Riviera

I suspect the cost per passenger to the cruise line is less, the larger the ship.

If Oceania would have made more money building smaller ships, they would have. Fortunately, buying up the "used" R ships must be a good deal.

Personally, I am very happy to pay more to sail on a smaller ship. Cabin size doesn't mean much because we don't spend much time there. I love the ambiance of the smaller ships.

Can't imagine ever sailing on a megaship, no matter what the price.

Mary

As another example, a similar cruise out in Miami in early December 2015, 10 days, the Owner Suite price are:

There is much more than cabin real estate involved in the fare. Cabin real estate may be the smallest portion -- unless you lock yourself in the cabin and eat your own food.

There is much more than cabin real estate involved in the fare. Cabin real estate may be the smallest portion -- unless you lock yourself in the cabin and eat your own food.

Yes -- but the fixed costs (and there are many) can be amortized over twice as many people. Economies of scale.

Yes -- but the fixed costs (and there are many) can be amortized over twice as many people. Economies of scale.

Some of the fixed costs. The ship cost more to build, there are more and larger restaurants, larger theater, more and larger public facilities of all sorts. Then, there are the variable costs -- more to run the ship, more crew and staff, more meals, more laundry, the list goes on.

Pricing for all the cabins is more a matter of what people are willing to pay for perceived benefits -- location in the ship, increased perks, etc. It costs as much per cabin for cleaning, linens, butlers, repairs and maintenance and much more, regardless of the square footage. The point is, pricing is not determined by square footage alone.

The R ship Owners suites compare only to the Oceania Suites on the O ships.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Personally I do not think any comparison is worthwhile.

There are fewer staterooms available on the smaller ships.

Demand could be greater on the smaller ships.

Prices from cruise to cruise -- even with similar itineraries --are determined by demand. The only time cabin size governs price is when the two cabins are on the same ship on the same cruise. The larger one costs more.

Some of us would be willing to pay MORE to be on the smaller ship in a smaller cabin. The premium in price is worth it to some of us to sail with half as many passengers.

Interesting -- my first cruise on O was in cabin 6089 on Nautica and I thought it was great! Gave us some shade when the sun was on our side of the ship. It may be obstructed but we knew that going in so it didn't bother us at all.

As for pricing - If anyone truly figures it out I'd love to know. Unlike airline seats that can change price in minutes and several times a day, cruise pricing at least stays the same for the most part. It's up to me to determine if the price is right for me. And if I decided that the price is right I'm sure not going to gripe about it!

Interesting -- my first cruise on O was in cabin 6089 on Nautica and I thought it was great! Gave us some shade when the sun was on our side of the ship. It may be obstructed but we knew that going in so it didn't bother us at all. !

I agree that the obstruction provided some shade when the sun was on our side but the temperature outside was usually in the 40's-50's. It did not bother us; just other cruise lines give small discounts for these types of obstructions.

The R ship Owners suites compare only to the Oceania Suites on the O ships.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

I do not understand your remarks. Interesting feature on Oceania's ships, small vs large, is that the small ship (Regatta) is a shrunken version of the large ship (Riviera). Same functional areas in same places on both ships but smaller on Regatta except Red Ginger & Jacques. So the comparison is valid.

I do not understand your remarks. Interesting feature on Oceania's ships, small vs large, is that the small ship (Regatta) is a shrunken version of the large ship (Riviera). Same functional areas in same places on both ships but smaller on Regatta except Red Ginger & Jacques. So the comparison is valid.

Slightly more accurate to say the larger ships (Marina and Riviera) were designed in the same general layout of the smaller ships, as the smaller ships were launched more than a decade before the larger ones. However, there are significant differences, especially in the Owner's Suites. There are 6 of them on each of the smaller ships, each one taking up an aft corner on 3 decks. There are only 3 on the larger ships, each stretching the full width of the stern on 3 decks.

Orchestrapal is simply saying that the size and amenities of the Oceania Suites on the larger ships are a better comparison to the size and amenities of the Owners Suites on the smaller ships, and she is correct.

Orchestrapal is simply saying that the size and amenities of the Oceania Suites on the larger ships are a better comparison to the size and amenities of the Owners Suites on the smaller ships, and she is correct.

+1

staterooms-3d-os.jpg R Ship Owners Suite 164125.jpg

o-staterooms-3d-os.jpg O ship Owners Suite 125800.jpg