My gut or my DW's wishes?

RCCL Fan

I'd like to believe I'm young (30) and I LOVE the 12 day itineraries! 7 or 8 is just too short for me. I didn't realize they were senior cruises. I just plan to take the time off work long in advance.

ETA: I am most certainly taking Anthem to Cozumel, Jamaica, etc. One of the only times it goes there from the northeast!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dude! I want to be like you when I grow up! :-)

Between Christmas, Thanksgiving, Spring Break, Fall Break, school events, birthdays, family events, I can't give 2 weeks of vacation to Quantum/Anthem... and my oldest is only in kindergarten.

It's going to get worse.

At 30, I only had 2 weeks vacation, so 12 day cruises, would leave me nothing else for the year.

You're fortunate, but I think many of us move around jobs a lot in our early adult years and only have 2 weeks vacation. While there are others like, I think the vast majority of us are like me.

At 36 & 34 the wife and I are huge Royal Caribbean fans, proud our whole family is diamond level.

We admit we're tech junkies, always on our phones, we text each other in the same room often.... She's a Millennial.... I'm closer to a Gen. "X" I guess. We feel the ship makes sense to us is some ways, with the technology, even though we normally cruise to escape it. We appreciate Royal's efforts there and want to try it.

We just still don't understand aiming to a group that "typically" doesn't have that much vacation time, with such long itineraries.

This works if I still live at home, am school off for the summer, and my parents have a lot of vacation time, and can afford taking the whole brood down for 2 weeks.

If you're 20 - 35, on your own, love cruising, this doesn't work at all.... unless you have lots of vacation, and live in Philly or further north.

I want to go, but like so many others, I don't think they're making it make sense for me just yet.

Dude - I don't have to read a word of your post, or what others have said. There is only one answer... go with the DW's wishes.

Words to live by. I have been married 40 years. One of the big reasons....

"Yes Dear."

Having said that, we are doing Quantum so we can see the ship. But she's on board with it (pun intended).

I'm 35 and doing the 12 night next month. I am fortunate to get 37 days of paid time off a year from work. I tend to take longer cruises now because I feel like I get more out of my money. We also have the an 11 night sailing on Serenade for January 2016 from Port Everglades.

Edited by dsvd79

Between Christmas, Thanksgiving, Spring Break, Fall Break, school events, birthdays, family events, I can't give 2 weeks of vacation to Quantum/Anthem... and my oldest is only in kindergarten.

It's going to get worse.

At 30, I only had 2 weeks vacation, so 12 day cruises, would leave me nothing else for the year.

You're fortunate, but I think many of us move around jobs a lot in our early adult years and only have 2 weeks vacation. While there are others like, I think the vast majority of us are like me.

At 36 & 34 the wife and I are huge Royal Caribbean fans, proud our whole family is diamond level.

We admit we're tech junkies, always on our phones, we text each other in the same room often.... She's a Millennial.... I'm closer to a Gen. "X" I guess. We feel the ship makes sense to us is some ways, with the technology, even though we normally cruise to escape it. We appreciate Royal's efforts there and want to try it.

We just still don't understand aiming to a group that "typically" doesn't have that much vacation time, with such long itineraries.

This works if I still live at home, am school off for the summer, and my parents have a lot of vacation time, and can afford taking the whole brood down for 2 weeks.

If you're 20 - 35, on your own, love cruising, this doesn't work at all.... unless you have lots of vacation, and live in Philly or further north.

I want to go, but like so many others, I don't think they're making it make sense for me just yet.

I have the same feeling about the matter. I would love to try a 14 or 30 trip, but always have chalked it up to when I retire. When would I ever be able to take that much time off work. Even with 20days a year vacation half of that to one cruise is a lot to give when other events will demand some of that time.

That's always been the toss up with cruising how much time can you dedicate even if money is not the objection.

It's going to get worse.

Nah, you certainly don't 😂. I get approximately 16 paid days off per year, but I only (I say only lol) work 3 days per week (12 hours shifts). So a two week vacation for me requires 6 days of paid time off at most, and if I time it just right I can actually take two solids weeks off and just require 3-4 days of paid time (working right before I leave and right when I get back). That's the only reason I'm able to make it work.

I guess I've just never thought about people moving jobs early either. That's a valid point. :-)

It does get worse, my youngest isn't even in kindergarten yet and we're crazy busy. However, my oldest is 13. What really saves me is my lenient work schedule (and the fact that I make the schedule at work lol).

Now, hubby on the other hand doesn't get ANY paid time off of work, so for him two weeks of time off is two weeks of no pay :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So all the Quantum new ship hype is out there.... and she's caught the bug.

I admit I have too, so I agreed to get planning.

But every time i sit in front the computer credit card in hand I say no.

We don't live near NYC, so sailing from there is not of any use or appeal to us.

Nassau is our least favorite port, we always stay on board. Orlando... no thanks.

Coco Cay... never had a ship actually make it there yet.

So all the ports are a throw away to us on the 8 day.

And 12 day trips....

Not even a question for us.

Not sure I understand that one.... ship is supposed to be aimed toward the younger generation, yet unless it's summer break and you're in school you don't have 12 days of vacation to use on a cruise.

big disconnect there in my opinion.

Am I wrong??? What young people are taking Anthem from jersey to labadee, jamaica, grand cayman, costa maya, roatan, cozumel, then all the way back up to jersey... 2 weeks off?

I would think those cruises would be senior focused, but that's me.

Rip Cord.... I weigh too much.

Dynamic Dining.... we did this on celebrity (never went to dining room, just did speciality the whole cruise, we vowed never again, too much stress with the reservations)

270.... we're all in!!!

NorthStar... we're both boycotting in favor of VCL

Music Hall... long overdue... sign us up!

Internet... we usually lock our phones in the safe as soon as we step on board.

So... do we do it, cuz we're loyal to royal? cuz it's out lines newest ship and why not? Or do I roll on with something more tried and true for us.

Everytime I go to book, I think my list of negatives is so much longer than positives.

Our policy has always been, we don't cruise a new ship the first year unless RCL gives us the cruise, which they have in the past!:D

And we never waste days cruising out of a northern port when we could be swimming in warm Caribbean water from a Florida Ported ship!:D

Hey man, I get it. My young family is in the same 'boat' (ba dum ching).

Right now I'm waiting for the Anthem 2016 itineraries to come out and hopefully they'll have kept the 5-day hops to Bermuda. Mine aren't elementary-age quite yet but between the snow closings and illnesses you can't guarantee you'll have a lot of time left!

So all the Quantum new ship hype is out there.... and she's caught the bug.

We don't live near NYC, so sailing from there is not of any use or appeal to us.

Nassau is our least favorite port, we always stay on board. Orlando... no thanks.

And 12 day trips....

Not sure I understand that one.... ship is supposed to be aimed toward the younger generation, yet unless it's summer break and you're in school you don't have 12 days of vacation to use on a cruise.

Am I wrong??? What young people are taking Anthem from jersey to labadee, jamaica, grand cayman, costa maya, roatan, cozumel, then all the way back up to jersey... 2 weeks off?

Dynamic Dining.... we did this on celebrity (never went to dining room, just did speciality the whole cruise, we vowed never again, too much stress with the reservations)

270.... we're all in!!!

So... do we do it, cuz we're loyal to royal? cuz it's out lines newest ship and why not? Or do I roll on with something more tried and true for us.

Everytime I go to book, I think my list of negatives is so much longer than positives.

Man, you are way over-analyzing this. You are 100% correct mind you but ask yourself one question.

Have you ever changed your DW's mind about anything since you have been married? And if you have, were the consequences worth the small victory?:eek:

OK that was two questions.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

DW actually isn't fighting this one....

Her words, "I want to try it, because it's a new ship, and we always take the new ships (pouty face)...... but I don't want to go to Florida or the Bahamas. And you can never take that much time off, to go on the longer ones."

So, she understands and is "onboard" I just like to give her what she wants.

jmrothermel, has a very lenient schedule, and I'm the opposite.

24/7/365 at work, 10-hour days, 5-days a week, and getting time off is a bear.

We're going to likely wait for Ovation. Quantum's lost to Asia, Anthem's the new Indy (the brit ship), so maybe the O is the one....

Thanks everyone for helping me sort it out.

So all the Quantum new ship [info] is out there.... and she's caught the bug.

And 12 day trips....

270.... we're all in!!!

I changed "hype" to "info" because "hype" gives an impression that it's all just PR; that real humans aren't excited about it. Just my own personal pet peeve. :)

It sounds like you are interested in the ship. Therefore, having an itinerary you don't like works FOR you. Spend the whole time playing on the ship, instead!

Was Quantum created *for* younger people? Not sure how that works. Is it an impression because of the technology involved? If so, that's just silly that it's only for young people. We rent a condo in a building that's mainly inhabited by LONG retired people, and they use tech like crazy. They CREATED it, or at least created the things that laid the foundation for current technology.

And sure, there are plenty of companies that higher younger people AND give them good amounts of vacation time AND allow them to use it. Might not be your industry, but there are plenty out there.

That sounds horrifying. I'm sorry. DH works a lot and travels half the year, but along with salary and benefits etc, we get air miles, free hotel nights, and when he wants to take a 2 week vacation he does it.

I'm probably in the minority and my specific opinion is not likely yours, but I'd say DON'T DO IT. It will be cheaper later, if the desire persists. And maybe a new and better itinerary is down the road.

For me, while the ship matters, it's primarily about the itinerary. If that's not appealing, I say don't book it.

Man oh man, do I wish there were more short cruises from NJ or Baltimore. I know I'm not alone in that either, I have friends who also love to cruise but again...like you said, for younger working people and families, how often do you actually have 8-10 days of vacation to use on a cruise? And I'm certainly not flying to Florida for just a 4-nighter.

Hear hear!!!!

NCL does a 7 night out of NY during the winter to just escape the cold from here and its a 7 night. It's on my list of to book.

OP: You have presented a very concise list of pros/cons for doing/not doing Quantum. IMO, it does not make sense for you right now. Lots of folks love the idea of always trying the newest, latest and greatest, but, in reality, that does not always translate to the right choice for a particular time in your life. You and your wife are young, and you will have lots of opportunities to try different options when the time is right. There's something to be said for looking forward to a time when you will have more choices because your lifestyle and timing will allow for it. I know, I speak from experience;):)

Intriguing proposition. Depending on what it means to you to sail on the largest ship out there, I would say one try is worth it. But your eval on things does have merit for you. I just say test your presumptions by trying it once.

Quantum is not the largest ship out there. Allure/Oasis still is.

DW actually isn't fighting this one....

Her words, "I want to try it, because it's a new ship, and we always take the new ships (pouty face)...... but I don't want to go to Florida or the Bahamas. And you can never take that much time off, to go on the longer ones."

So, she understands and is "onboard" I just like to give her what she wants.

We're going to likely wait for Ovation. Quantum's lost to Asia, Anthem's the new Indy (the brit ship), so maybe the O is the one....

Thanks everyone for helping me sort it out.

Anthem will only be in Southhampton for 1 season. She will be home-ported in Bayonne, NJ after that inaugural season.

RCCL's original plan was:

Quantum - NJ

Anthem - Southhampton/Florida(winter)

Ovation - China

But RCCL wanted to get into the Chinese market sooner so they reshuffled to:

Quantum - China

Anthem - NJ

Ovation - Southhampton/Florida(winter)