Your favorite things: Regal/Royal Princess

lovevacadays

What are your favorite things about either the Regal or Royal? If you were advising someone who has not sailed one of these ships, what would you tell them would be not to miss things?

And, if you have had a cabin you absolutely loved, whether inside to suite, post info on that as well.:):)

We were on the Regal and the Horizon Court/Horizon Bistro is the best buffet area of any Princess ship.

Aft on both sides of the Promenade deck is an area with lounge chairs and a great view of the ocean. No sign of soot down that low on the Regal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

Favorite things about the Royal/Regal: the Piazza (along with the IC and Alfredo's) and the Horizon Court/Bistro. Both are a big "Wow!"

For an inside, I'd book a horizontal cabin. For a balcony, I think the "obstructed" view balcony cabins on Emerald deck from 701 towards the aft are among the best bargains on the ship. Right near the aft stairs for easy access and the only obstruction is looking forward. I'd avoid any cabin on Marina deck below the HC.

I have mixed feelings about the Retreat pool. It's a nice area but almost no shade. As a matter of fact, there's little shade on Lido deck. The chairs and couches just outside the Horizon Bistro on Lido deck near Swirls and the Calypso Cabana are super comfortable and in the shade. That was one of my favorite areas to sit and read.

Loved my inside sideways lido deck cabin, booked it again for the Regal:) I loved the retreat pool, the martini bar, Crown Grill, the chicken salad at the International Cafe, fondue dinner, the outside deck aft of the buffet area. I'm sure there was more, but that's what comes to mind first off.

What are your favorite things about either the Regal or Royal? If you were advising someone who has not sailed one of these ships, what would you tell them would be not to miss things?

And, if you have had a cabin you absolutely loved, whether inside to suite, post info on that as well.:):)

Don't miss the ship. :D

The Enclave! Of course my house doesn't have running hot water, just cold, so I would love that. But the hot tubs around the pools were barely tepid and the steam rooms/ waterbeds/ large HOT tub with loungers, showers, and other goodies was wonderful.

love the mid-ship mini suites on the port side, Baja or Caribe deck. Great layout, lots of storage and curtains to separate the sleeping area from the couch/desk area. We also enjoyed Alfredo's, the production shows in Princess theatre, dinner in the MDR, the buffet anytime, the retreat pool, Zumba on the sports deck and the walking track, all the activities in the piazza--great place for people watching! We also really enjoyed the in room entertainment system with lots of great movies.

I have mixed feelings about the Retreat pool. It's a nice area but almost no shade. As a matter of fact, there's little shade on Lido deck. The chairs and couches just outside the Horizon Bistro on Lido deck near Swirls and the Calypso Cabana are super comfortable and in the shade. That was one of my favorite areas to sit and read.

It would have been nice if they had covered the outer lounge chairs with full shade but as you say there's not much shade to be had. It's almost as they've designed it for sun lovers only. ;)

Nice locations in no particular order:

Horizon Terrace for warm weather cruises.

Alfredo's

International Cafe

Retreat Pool entry areas for sitting and reading, nice wicker furniture in the shade (warm weather).

For action, the Piazza.

Not so nice locations:

Princess Live

Vista Lounge, fixed tables are shin knockers and access blockers.

Favorite things about the Royal/Regal: the Piazza (along with the IC and Alfredo's) and the Horizon Court/Bistro. Both are a big "Wow!"

For an inside, I'd book a horizontal cabin.

What is an horizontal cabin?

Agreed about the lack of shade. One has to follow the sun path to figure out where to look for a chair.

We were on the Royal's repositioning cruise from NYC to Port Everglades.

It would have been nice if they had covered the outer lounge chairs with full shade but as you say there's not much shade to be had. It's almost as they've designed it for sun lovers only. ;)
That's exactly what they did. There are pergolas on the sides of the ship over the loungers but they provide little or no real shade. Pretty useless IMHO.

66936168f7706734a132f6e99d5bb764.jpg

One of my favorite spots outside the Horizon Bistro:

eaf8df973becf7faea2a1870ff80af06.jpg

I was on the Royal's repo from NY in October. I also loved my side-facing inside cabin on Carib (C323). Very comfortable and well laid out. I originally booked the one next to where I finally ended up, until I discovered it was for 4 people and had the 2 bunks that hang down on either side of the queen bed. And they don't go into the ceiling if they aren't used. My TA was able to move me down one cabin. It was very convenient to everything, including the stairs and elevators for both forward and mid-ship.

I loved Horizon Bistro and the way it was laid out. As a single, it's very comfortable to sit at the long counter-like area; I also loved the several small areas on Promenade deck that were carved out of where the deck should have been - very peaceful; I loved the table in Traditional dining and how they had sections with perhaps 10 tables. It felt very exclusive.

I loved mostly everything on the Royal and my advice for those sailing either the Royal or Regal would be to suspend expectations (good or bad) and just experience the ship. It takes a day or three to grow accustomed to the differences, but once I did, I was home. Don't miss any part of her.

Maureen

Dont miss:

Fiera (the show was incredible)

Bellinis (delicious drinks)

the expanded buffet including the pastry shop.

The Winemaker's DInner. Unique to the Royal/Regal and well worth it. Has to be booked first thing upon boarding, though.

I am surprised at this. On our cruise last week on the Regal waitstaff were still trying to sell the winemaker's dinner the 3rd or 4th ight.