My Noro free cruise

Grumpy69

Soap and hot water work even better and they're free!!!

FYI - as someone who is meticulous about washing hands, doesn't go to the buffet, uses the cabin washroom instead of public ones but who still caught Noro - you can try anything you like, you still might end up with it.

Edited by cruiseryyc

Soap and hot water work even better and they're free!!!

There's nothing new and revolutionary about Purell Advanced, just the hype on the bottle. Like many other sanitizers, its active ingredient is 70% ethyl alcohol (yep, good old rubbing alcohol), which is somewhat effective against noro. (With debatable reliability. To quote the CDC: "Very low-quality evidence was available to suggest that hand hygiene using alcohol-based hand sanitizers may reduce the likelihood of symptomatic norovirus infection.") Walgreens own brand, for instance, contains the same concentration of the stuff at a lower cost.

And to cite a preliminary but oft-quoted study: "In the study, published in the American Journal of Infection Control, CDC researchers looked at the use of hand sanitizers by the staff in 91 long-term care facilities. In those where the staff were equally or more likely to use the hand sanitizers over soap and water for routine hand hygiene, the chance of an outbreak was nearly six times greater."

But I guess the idea that hot water is free makes it less desirable in the eyes of some, same as people would rather schlep costly drinking water aboard than lower themselves to drink Princess' perfectly pure but regrettably free H2O.

Edited by shepp

Where did you get this from, please?

I did get it in Canada, and it is hard to find. There appears to be three versions of Purell here. Normal, Advanced, then this version of Advanced.

In the US I believe the product is called purell® VF-447. Below is a report on the product.

http://www.handwashingforlife.com/resources/integrated-solutions/supplies/hand-sanitizers/norovirus-effective-formula

The outside surface of the new Purell bottle will be just as contaminated as the outside of the old Purell bottle - after you remove it from a trouser pocket or purse.

And your hands will be just as badly contaminated after you handle that dirty bottle to put it back in your unclean pocket or purse.

Why is the cruising public so adverse to simply washing their hands?

The outside surface of the new Purell bottle will be just as contaminated as the outside of the old Purell bottle - after you remove it from a trouser pocket or purse.

And your hands will be just as badly contaminated after you handle that dirty bottle to put it back in your unclean pocket or purse.

We're just a bunch of uncouth slobs, I guess! :D I'm wondering--won't the hands get contaminated after washing with soap and water if they touch anything thereafter? I'm envisioning a crowd of people walking with hands up as if entering the operating theater, moving steadily along from the washing facilities on Promenade deck to the stairs aft and down to the dining room below (on Golden to Canaletto?) where they march to their seats and sit and proceed to--what?--touch the fork? :eek::eek::eek:

No doubt about it--we're doomed. ;)

We were on a 31 day B2B cruise on the golden, and were concerned about it.

We found that Lysol spray #5 is supposed to be effective. When we got to our cabin, our steward opened the door, and we whipped out the spray. First item was the door handle, then the phone and TV remote. After that we sprayed every handle and knob in the cabin and the entire bathroom.

I do not know if it was effective, but (knock wood) we did not get it.

We have always been scrupulous at home about hand washing, and very rarely have colds.

Actually the only place we get them is on airplanes and airports. We have cold meds right now from Germany, France, England, and Russia!

I love and use ZylastXP, a water based hand sanitizer that can last up to 6 hours. Although I use soap and water as much as possible (I am a nurse), I use this outside of work and have found it really has cut down on the amount of times I have had illnesses the past two years.

Not necessarily, BruceMuzz. I use a foam hand sanitiser when I'm out and about and unable to rewash my hands immediately before handing food etc. I open my handbag, get out the dispenser, take the cap off and place it upside down on the table. Then I spray some foam into my left palm. With my right hand I put the dispenser into its cap, then into my handbag and close my handbag. Then I rub the sanitiser foam all over my hands. Thus my hands are not contaminated from handling the foam dispenser or my handbag.

The foam I use is an Australian product called Hands First which contains Benzalkonium Chloride.

OK, I stand corrected. I didn't realize there was a three-ingredient version of Purell with a reportedly synergistic effect, though what think I'm seeing on the study summation, which is too tiny to decipher fully, is that washing with antibacterial foam alone is more effective than the new Purell and a hard water rinse alone about as effective. Still, sounds like provisionally good news, since the other versions of Purell were nowhere near as good.

Still sounds like handwashing is the single most effective method of prevention.

[quote=BruceMuzz;44925076.

You could wear surgical gloves for the entire cruise to prevent hand contamination. However, this does not prevent face contamination when you touch your face w your contaminated gloves.

DON