So what do you tip a butler?

Ummm if you can afford a suite you can afford to tip. Even if you got an upgrade. It's part of your suite package. Who uses phone cards anymore. When you see crew leaving ship they're on their phones

It's not about what you can afford, It's about value/service received.

Ummm if you can afford a suite you can afford to tip. Even if you got an upgrade. It's part of your suite package. Who uses phone cards anymore. When you see crew leaving ship they're on their phones

Ok flamers I know tipping isn't in suite package but if you want the amenities of a suite you should be smart enough to know to tip

I'm not going to bother weighing in on the "to tip" or "not to tip" or even how much. Just wanted to comment on the bolded above.

Some don't book suites for any of the amenities, but for size and/or location. If you want a larger cabin you don't have a choice but to book a suite even if you don't give a flying hoot about having a butler or a concierge. NCL doesn't give you the option of a suite less the additional staff.

Based on your statement. You expect bad service so you can justify bad tipping. The end

Not at all. I leave the auto gratuity intact which is good tipping because it is exactly what NCL has already worked out to be what they want. What I said was tipping is not about what you can afford it's about service. If it went but what one can afford then tipping would be unpredictable with some able to afford thousands and some hundreds which isn't practical in most cases for a cup of coffee.

I didn't mean to start any major controversy. It appears the answer is anything from stiff him to provide him a retirement in a Park Avenue Penthouse when we arrive back in NYC.

If I don't ask him to do too much would $200 be a good tip for 2 adults and 2 young children?

I didn't mean to start any major controversy. It appears the answer is anything from stiff him to provide him a retirement in a Park Avenue Penthouse when we arrive back in NYC.

If I don't ask him to do too much would $200 be a good tip for 2 adults and 2 young children?

If you don't use him much that is more than enough. Strictly up to you. No need to go crazy tipping people for not doing stuff for you.

Enjoy.

That is a generous tip. You will find that your butler will do some much for your kids. They make sure and get them cookies and treats. Enjoy the experience and you will say at the end of your cruise that the butler made your cruise so much better. Kids are messy little demanding great joys and the butlers I have know in over 9 years of suites, thrive on kids. Enjoy and just let the great things happy

I just want to say that we loved, loved, loved our butler on the Star. Shout out to Cipriano ! :)

I am a cookie freak, and was so disappointed I couldn't get cookies until after 9pm. He brought us a plateful every day, along with the most delicious sandwiches.

He took care of everything for us. Wish we could have him in March, but the afts were booked by the time I found our cruise.

Patti

That sounds fine if it's a long cruise and you use your butler but why not decide after you see what services were provided and make a determination with the facts. When's the last time you went to a restaurant and decided the tip before you experienced the service. Your butler may dote on you or ignore you, wait and see.

Edited by cruzsnooze

That sounds fine if it's a long cruise and you use your butler but why not decide after you see what services were provided and make a determination with the facts. When's the last time you went to a restaurant and decided the tip before you experienced the service. Your butler may dote on you or ignore you, wait and see.

I'm just trying to get a general idea of how much cash to bring. I can always make adjustments

Sounds very reasonable to me.. Our average tip is $150 for two people for the week including a few breakfasts delivered, and a few small requests. Enjoy!

Robin

I just want to say that we loved, loved, loved our butler on the Star. Shout out to Cipriano ! :)

I am a cookie freak, and was so disappointed I couldn't get cookies until after 9pm. He brought us a plateful every day, along with the most delicious sandwiches.

He took care of everything for us. Wish we could have him in March, but the afts were booked by the time I found our cruise.

Patti

They move around. Do not always have the same suites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patti

Agreed. Cipriano was excellent!

Stephen

That would be much appreciated by your butler. And if you aren't crazy about bringing a lot of cash, you can add the tip to your account by visiting the front desk. They will give you a voucher to present to your butler. This way your butler (or anyone else you decide to tip) doesn't have to worry about cash!

That would be much appreciated by your butler. And if you aren't crazy about bringing a lot of cash, you can add the tip to your account by visiting the front desk. They will give you a voucher to present to your butler. This way your butler (or anyone else you decide to tip) doesn't have to worry about cash!

That is great to know.

Thanks so much for that information.

Don