Pricing

nomadgirluk

P & O have just removed the Early Saver option from their Caribbean cruise in February meaning that prices have increased sharply for those of us who have been looking at this option. In others' experience, is this likely to be reinstated later down the line, or at this stage is this unlikely? I know we don't have crystal balls, but it would be helpful to hear what others have experienced.

Have to add that if it goes to saver fares there will be no choices of cabin location (only type--inside-outside etc) and dining sitting.

I still feel early saver fares are not that brillian. You do not get the bells and whistles you get with select, and you do not get the cheapness of saver fares.

P & O have just removed the Early Saver option from their Caribbean cruise in February meaning that prices have increased sharply for those of us who have been looking at this option. In others' experience, is this likely to be reinstated later down the line, or at this stage is this unlikely? I know we don't have crystal balls, but it would be helpful to hear what others have experienced.

My personal opinion only.

Prices should be maintained at a high level to ensure the quality of the product. Massive reductions attracts on board some who have little or no regard, let alone respect, of manners and ethics.

Prices should be maintained at a high level to ensure the quality of the product. Massive reductions attracts on board some who have little or no regard, let alone respect, of manners and ethics.

Why not have the late bookers travel in steerage! :eek:

I really hope this is an attempt at sarcasm and that you forgot to put a ;) after your comment :confused:

Why are you deliberately downgrading those who pay full select fare, albeit late?:confused:

Sorry this is standard industry practice. Every cruise line does exactly the same thing. From silver seas and Regent down. They all sell of spare capacity to late or very late bookers.

That is the way cruises are sold and has been for years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you maintain prices at a high level you very soon won't have a product to maintain the quality of. :rolleyes:

If you maintain prices at a high level you very soon won't have a product to maintain the quality of. :rolleyes:

A quality product?:rolleyes: Like a Bentley?:D

Maybe it is time, just as above poster suggested, to reintroduce steerage. Where one gets the status of product for which one has fully paid. Say, no formal dining.

Have no doubt other CC members may suggest what reduced benefits low paying guests could be entitled to:D

This will make clear distinctions between those who fully pay and those who pay very little. Simples!

In my personal opionion (I need to put that because if I do then I can say what I like and it makes it ok - apparently) is that one is not ethically challenged because one pays a late saver fare.

If people want to pay a lot for a quality product why on earth would they choose P&O when there are several alternative lines with a lot better product ;)

Paying more money for a cruise does not make a person better than someone else, or more worthy or deserving, it just means that they didn't get as good a deal.

I may not be the kind of desirable character that some people would want on a P&O cruise, but I am certainly not rude, I don't make judgements on people based on what they spend on their holiday, and I don't make generalised antagonistic statements to try and make myself look educated or superior.

Paying more money for a cruise does not make a person better than someone else, or more worthy or deserving, it just means that they didn't get as good a deal.

I may not be the kind of desirable character that some people would want on a P&O cruise, but I am certainly not rude, I don't make judgements on people based on what they spend on their holiday, and I don't make generalised antagonistic statements to try and make myself look educated or superior.

Well said. I certainly wasn't expecting this thread to go off on the snobbery tangent, but it certainly did! We too do not consider ourselves rude. Neither do we have poor manners and our social skills are pretty good! However, we do not have a bottomless pit of money to spend on holidays. I asked a simple question; I did not expect the sort of snobbery which seems to be more and more prevalent here and in which certain people equate affluence with class.

Perhaps those who hanker after the old days of 5 star cruising should either move into the 21st century, or sail with a cruise line which consistently maintains extortionate pricing. At least that way they will be assured of mixing with their peers and not have to slum it with the rest of us. ;)

We too do not consider ourselves rude. (We - Not others? - possibly deluded)

Neither do we have poor manners and our social skills are pretty good! (We - Not others? - possibly deluded)

I did not expect the sort of snobbery which seems to be more and more prevalent here and in which certain people equate affluence with class. (Inverted snobbery?)

slum it with the rest of us (confirmation of bringing a slum attitude to cruising?)

One rest one's case.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Well, I've just paid peanuts for a cruise on Oceana and having a fabulous time. Have attended the Baltic and Liguarian dinner with the Captain! We have been treated like royalty. Definitely no complaints here about booking late savers. I will write a complete review on my return.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps, along with steerage, we should bring back workhouses to put us poor old souls in when we can no longer cruise :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Well Linda, if you will deliberately squander your hard earned cash instead of saving it for your old age tee hee.....

As this thread is still running I thought I would add another halfpenny worth.

on our last cruise we paid select fare..due to the deal running at the time we also got £1400 obs. Jooly nice as that was ,from P and O's side of things do the two fares gradually get nearer.ie amount per person per day

saver fares..pay a cheap fare, but will be paying for all drinks,shuttles, grats..

select pay a more expensive fare, but due to the obs they pay for no drinks or grats or shuttles.

select will obviously be paying more for the cabin, but it was the side bits I was thinking of.

Ofcourse saver fare buyers who do not drink at all-except whats free, and do not pay grats would skewer the figures a bit, as would select fare payers who do not drink, pay grats or have a large amount of obs.

my head hurts now.

I cannot work it out , but do you think somewhere along the line one ends up with a more middle ground, from P and O's point of view.

Well, as we travel with a single friend, for 2016, we are going to book a US/Canada which will probably be on Arcadia when they are first announced, booking on board to get some extra credit. However, for the spring of that year we are going to do a late saver on either P&O or Fred. we will choose three or four that would do and then go for the best one. Swings and roundabouts.

Well, I've just paid peanuts for a cruise on Oceana and having a fabulous time. Have attended the Baltic and Liguarian dinner with the Captain! We have been treated like royalty. Definitely no complaints here about booking late savers. I will write a complete review on my return.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am amzed that you have lowered yourself to go on a P&O cruise and to admit you are having a "fabulous time" after the derogatory things you have said about P&O on this forum this last 12 months you have not had a good word to say about the company or the people that cruise with P&O.