What are the pitfalls of paying in full before the due date

The most obvious to me would be if you are paying it off with a credit card and you don't pay the credit card off every month, so paying interest.

Gosh that is frightening. I wouldn't want to work out how much a cruise would really cost if that is what some cruisers choose to do!

In Australia, RCL do not honour price drops at all - even 12 months out. So it is a matter of cancelling and taking any penalties applied and rebooking. Generally this would not be worth it.

That is why we generally book RCL in the US. However with the current falling AU$ I don't think this is going to be a good option any time soon.

We are very happy we booked and paid in full our RCL Brilliance cruise for next September months ago now.

Beryl

For example. Final Payment date is May 1. You decided to pay in full Feb 1. There is a big price drop on March 1. You ask for the price drop. In a normal world you'd think Royal would refund the difference to your credit card (or whatever method of payment).

So if a cruise isn't yet paid off, and there is a price drop, the new (lower) price will automatically be calculated into the outstanding balance?

On a side note, when is it best to book a cruise in terms of pricing - as early as possible or "last-minute" style (assuming it isn't sold out)? Or do the prices basically fluctuate throughout?

I learned the hard way my first cruise. If you pay in full early RCCL does not have to honor any price drop. The may but they do not have to. Also if you book through the line you cannot export the reservation to a TA if the reservation is paid in full. I say wait, if you paid the deposit your room is held and you will not lose it.

I have always booked our cruises as soon as the dates open, and with the exception of one cruise where we received a Residence drop, the prices have not dropped to the price being offered when the dates opened. I factor in all cost, cruise, Tax and Cruise insurance thru the cruise line when comparing. Depending on when you pay off depends on the individuals and if they have the funds set aside to pay one lump sum or have to make multiple smaller payments. I tend to devide our cruises into 4 payments since we cruise min of 2 weeks. I make final 1 to 2 months before the Invoice final Date.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Or having usage and access to that money if needed. Or if you have to cancel not waiting a month for Royal to refund you.

Most people report full refunds within 3-5 business days. As far as having access to that money if I need it, I dont book a cruise unless I know its 100% disposable income. To some of us, the peace of mind of knowing our cruise is paid off early > than pennies that money would earn in a savings account so yes there most certainly is a benefit to some.

To each their own though. My April 2015 cruise has been paid off for a couple months now. Final payment date isnt until January 25th. No problems whatsoever in getting the two price reductions Ive gotten.

. If you pay in full early RCCL does not have to honor any price drop. The may but they do not have to.

According to their policy, yes they do :) I always pay off early. Sometimes months in advance. No problems whatsoever getting price drops up until RCIs final payment date.

The policy about paying in full not not being able to transfer to a TA is correct but I never use a TA so its pretty much irrelevant to me. :)

Edited by ryano

I'm one of those people who likes to hold on to their money as long as possible. :)

I find no advantage to paying off a cruise early, unless I might be on another cruise when final payment is due.

I've booked several cruises that were within final payment, so in that case, we have no choice but to pay the entire amount when we book. Often, the best deals are gotten after final payment date. Last cruise, on the Quantum Transatlantic, we booked a month before sailing and got a great price.

Most people report full refunds within 3-5 business days.

Not a month goes by on this forum that a post pops up of being being monkeyed around or made to wait 4, 6, 8 weeks on refunds. Most does not mean all, and I'd rather not take the risk of having an issue. People report wide variances in how policies are applied, therefore with no benefit to me as the consumer there is no reason to take the risk of paying early.

The OP asked for the downside to paying early. I'm not telling anyone they are wrong for doing so, just letting OP know the facts of the matter which is some people, for unknown reasons, experience problems when paying early.

I'm glad you have never had a problem paying early and then needing to claim a price drop. I would hope no one would ever have a problem doing so.

That is so not true that they change your final payment date to the date you paid it in full! I always pay mine in full before final payment date and have received my adjustments for price drops with no problems when price drops occurs before the final payment date. Sometimes you get so much bogus information on here it's ridiculous!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from Jack and Donna.

Jack

I thought I had explained very clearly in my first post that same thing.

For example. Final Payment date is May 1. You decided to pay in full Feb 1. There is a big price drop on March 1. You ask for the price drop. In a normal world you'd think Royal would refund the difference to your credit card (or whatever method of payment).

On these boards people have reported that Royal has done the following:

-Considered the Feb 1 date the new "final payment date" and not given any refund

-Given refunds only as OBC. That's hardly fair at all.

-If someone cancels before the May 1 final payment, but is paid in full, some have had to chase Royal 4 or 6 weeks, sometimes more, to get their money returned.

The OP asked what are the downsides to paying early. There you go. Inconsistency in how policies are applied and having to deal with a runaround should there be a price drop or cancellation before Royals originally published final payment date.

I've posed the question, what is the UPSIDE to paying early? None.

Now armed with facts OP can make decisions that best suit their personal budgeting. We all know calling Royal 4 times gets you 4 different answers, why pay early and take a risk?

This is the best answer in the thread to OPs question

The final payment date is the final payment date, NOT when you pay it. So, for example, if you pay off your cruise early and then need to cancel before the final payment date, you will get a full refund. Conversely, if you blow off the final payment date and call in AFTER that date looking for a refund of your deposit, you would lose the deposit.

This is if you book directly with RCCL. TAs may have different policies, including cancellation fees even before final payment. If you ever call RCCL directly and someone tries to tell you differently in regards to paying in full before final payment date, simply ask to speak with a supervisor.

RCI has started emailing reminders for final payment that say that, if it's not made, then the booking will cancel on the due date and the deposit refunded. They used to have a grace period of up to a week. We'll see if the technology catches up to what they've said.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't prepay anything, personally, and I wouldn't make any nonrefundable transactions (like applying the RCI Visa points) until the bitter end.

I just paid for my March Grandeur cruises and got an email from RC saying my express docs are ready to print, but when I go to my cruises, the documents are not yet ready.

I am guessing the payment triggered the email. Has this happened to anyone else?

Roy

• 7 months later...
Gosh that is frightening. I wouldn't want to work out how much a cruise would really cost if that is what some cruisers choose to do!

In Australia, RCL do not honour price drops at all - even 12 months out. So it is a matter of cancelling and taking any penalties applied and rebooking. Generally this would not be worth it.

That is why we generally book RCL in the US. However with the current falling AU$ I don't think this is going to be a good option any time soon.

We are very happy we booked and paid in full our RCL Brilliance cruise for next September months ago now.

Beryl

We now have about 6 weeks until this cruise and I wanted to share that we have been able to take advantage of 3 price drops, amounting to $000s and RCL had the money back in our credit card in a matter of days each time. We are booked with a Very big Internet agency in Texas who are a delight to deal with. Not only did we get the $$$ Back we got more OBC, so it is definitely NOT true that paying early triggers a different final payment date.

I had a B2B booked on the Allure. I made final payment 6 weeks before final payment was due. A family situation came up, causing me to cancel (reschedule my cruise). I called Royal Caribbean. The worked nicely with me.

The first week of the cruise was created with a "next cruise certificate" that included reduced deposit and on board credit. I was advised by Royal to not outright cancel the first week, but to reschedule the date, which I did, as i had the new dates already picked out for a year later. I did not receive my money back for that cruise, as it was applied to the rescheduled cruise date. I did, however, receive a price adjustment as the new cruise booked was cheaper then the one I was rescheduling. I did keep my on board credit.

Rather then issuing me a credit on my credit card, this adjustment (for price reduction of first week)for the first week was applied to the deposit for the second week of the B2B. This cruise was completely canceled out. After the initial deposit was covered, RCI refunded me back the rest of the money for the second week. (By the way, the second week was also cheaper for the rescheduled cruise, then when it was originally booked.) They did not "hold on" to my money for the year for second week of the cruise.

Edited by sleepless