Freedom of the Seas - Mechanical Problems

Oceanswave

Curious. If you were Royal Caribbean and there was an engine issue or a storm coming and the safety of passengers were in question and you had the option of not making the next port and going somewhere else what would you do? This is a no brainier in my opinion. They do the best they can. Things happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Of course I know they do the bes they can and that "things happen". I expect them do what they have to do for everyone's safety. If it is a weather issue, I don't expect any kind of credit. Weather happens and it is not within anyone's control. If it is an engine issue, I expect to be compensated for the portion of my cruise that I paid for and didn't receive. It is their engine and in their control. I don't think that is unreasonable.

Edited by Ann262

Curious. If you were Royal Caribbean and there was an engine issue or a storm coming and the safety of passengers were in question and you had the option of not making the next port and going somewhere else what would you do? This is a no brainier in my opinion. They do the best they can. Things happen.

Always easy to say when you have no horse in the race. I wonder if it was Oasis? The storm comparison is barely relevant if you stretch the point.

That wasn't compensation, that was a refund of your port taxes for missing Cozumel. I was on the 12/7 sailing of the Freedom and was very disappointed in this sailing and with RC as a business. When I asked when we were getting port taxes refunded, the guest services lady was pretty nasty to me and told me to call shoreside. If we hadn't got them refunded the last night, I was going to raise heck because that is essentially stealing from the consumer.

I completely agree with what you said. I was also on the same sailing, I went to Guest Services, and inquired about the port charges, and pretty much got the same answer as you did. The difference is the port charge was not refunded to me, or it did not reflect in my final statement.

I have sent an email to inquire about whether they will refund me the port charges, but I'm not holding high hopes of receiving an actual refund.

Always easy to say when you have no horse in the race. I wonder if it was Oasis? The storm comparison is barely relevant if you stretch the point.

True. I guess my point is things happen. Nothing is perfect. Engines break and storms come out of nowhere. I understand how some cruisers would be livid especially if they planned a cruise around a port. RCCL does the best they can. If something happens on my cruise coming up and we have to miss a port I'd be bummed but I'd also be ok with it. Plenty of things to do on Oasis. And if you really wanted to go to a specific port that is centered around your vacation then why are you on a cruise ship that will be there for a day instead of taking a vacation for several days in that particular port. I don't get that. Better to be stuck on a ship in the Caribbean than stuck in 2 feet of snow in New Hampshire.

if you really wanted to go to a specific port that is centered around your vacation then why are you on a cruise ship that will be there for a day instead of taking a vacation for several days in that particular port. I don't get that. Better to be stuck on a ship in the Caribbean than stuck in 2 feet of snow in New Hampshire.

When I am only interested in one specific city or area, I plan a land vacation, of course. Many of the cruises I have chosen were based on itineraries of several places I wanted to see. Of course, I agree that being on a ship somewhere is better than being home and at work stuck in the snow and, I realize there is always plenty to do on an RCI ship. Still, they have a responsibility to keep things in working order. Yes, things break, but if that break means they can't deliver what you paid for, they should give you a partial refund or OBC. Not jus refund the port taxes.

That is just my opinion.

It is posted on the RCL website about the itinerary change so it's not like RCL is keeping anything a secret - it says an OBC will be given on the Dec 21 cruise.

I've been on many ships and we've missed ports for dozens of reasons but that's part of cruising. The cruise line doesn't owe anybody anything (that's why you should read your cruise contract) and yes, it does inconvenience some people but if you want to be guaranteed a specific port, fly there and stay in a hotel. Not trying to be condescending, it's just that some people think that just because they paid their money, everything should go perfectly as advertised. In the travel world, nothing is perfect and never will be. The complainers seem to be rampant on Cruise Critic. A cruise is still better than flying anywhere, in my opinion. Rant over.

As far as I am concerned, RCCL knows there is an issue with the Freedom and should give good info to passengers. I sail next week and I assume there will be changes, but if I knew what they were, I can re-group. Yes - I know that itinerary changes happen. I've had MANY cruises and have had changes, but in almost every case, it has been for some sort of last minute weather condition or medical emergency. This issue has been know for weeks, if not months!

As far as cancelling - with a few days or a week till sailing, there is not much one can do to cancel. There are lots of other consideration, like vacation time, air travel, non refundable pre/post hotel rooms, etc.

All I really want is up to date information!

M

As far as I am concerned, RCCL knows there is an issue with the Freedom and should give good info to passengers. I sail next week and I assume there will be changes, but if I knew what they were, I can re-group. Yes - I know that itinerary changes happen. I've had MANY cruises and have had changes, but in almost every case, it has been for some sort of last minute weather condition or medical emergency. This issue has been know for weeks, if not months!

As far as cancelling - with a few days or a week till sailing, there is not much one can do to cancel. There are lots of other consideration, like vacation time, air travel, non refundable pre/post hotel rooms, etc.

All I really want is up to date information!

M

When I spoke with a lady in the executive offices she told he that even though they know the issue has existed they have waited until closer to the sailing as the marine department is constantly evaluating both the weather and the currents which need to be taken into account as well as the reduced speed before they will confirm the itinerary. It's a case of having a plan A and a plan B in place and deciding last minute.

Great example is this past weeks cruise which missed Coco Cay then went to St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Our cruise this week will be able to stop at Labadee San Juan and St. Maarten albeit with reduced times.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

It is posted on the RCL website about the itinerary change so it's not like RCL is keeping anything a secret - it says an OBC will be given on the Dec 21 cruise.

I've been on many ships and we've missed ports for dozens of reasons but that's part of cruising. The cruise line doesn't owe anybody anything (that's why you should read your cruise contract) and yes, it does inconvenience some people but if you want to be guaranteed a specific port, fly there and stay in a hotel. Not trying to be condescending, it's just that some people think that just because they paid their money, everything should go perfectly as advertised. In the travel world, nothing is perfect and never will be. The complainers seem to be rampant on Cruise Critic. A cruise is still better than flying anywhere, in my opinion. Rant over.

Is there a "Like" button somewhere? :)

Rant response: 1) Many people that cruise aren't of the type that have had the luxury of being on 'many ships' and experienced 'things happen' from time to time. These are really expensive cruises and many passengers save a long time to do one of them. You say 'not trying to be condescending' but some might take your post that way when you say "that's why you should read your cruise contract" and "some people think because they pay their money, everything should go perfectly"; 2) In my opinion it's reasonable for someone to believe there is a difference between legally not owing "anybody anything" and adhering to past established practice and general fairness. In the past there is a long record of passengers being compensated because of cruise-line issues (vs. weather, etc.). Because of this, I sympathize a lot with the 12/7 cruise group who apparently received no compensation as compared to the 11/30 cruise group - on the same ship, for the same issue - that received substantial compensation; 3) Finally, while many or even most people might agree with you that a "cruise is still better than flying anywhere", there are a lot of people who don't think this and book a cruise based on the specific port itineraries. I think most of these people do read their cruise contracts and know that things can happen to alter an itinerary. It's why almost every post I've seen on CC regarding the little girl who needed off the ship has acknowledged RCCL did the right thing. However, I think cruisers have also grown to expect - and most cruise lines have acknowledged with compensation of some sort - that when the cruise line is responsible for the itineraries not being delivered as planned, that some sort of compensation or remuneration may be appropriate depending upon the nature and significance of the effect to the passengers. If they are legally not required to compensate, and don't, then I think that's certainly a fair point to make in criticism and people can take that however they want.

OK rant response over lol.

RCI knew there was a problem with the ship the week before, ( the 11/30/14 cruise), when they dropped a pod in the Bahamas and went to Mexico instead of St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I called RCI BEFORE I boarded the ship on 12/7/14 and was told there would be no changes to the itinerary. While I applaud the RCI decision to evacuate the baby in Grand Cayman for the medical emergency, I also feel I AM ENTITLED to port charges to my account for Cozumel. And Diver 2014? I would say that you were a tad condescending in your banter. Just sayin................

but if you want to be guaranteed a specific port, fly there and stay in a hotel. Not trying to be condescending, it's just that some people think that just because they paid their money, everything should go perfectly as advertised. In the travel world, nothing is perfect and never will be. The complainers seem to be rampant on Cruise Critic. A cruise is still better than flying anywhere, in my opinion. Rant over.

Like X one million! ^^^^^^^^^^^

88_facebook_like_button_big.jpeg

Just get me on the damn ship. I dont care where it goes. In fact, I dont care if we go out in the ocean and make big circles for 7 days. I do not and will not book a cruise based on the ports as that is not why I cruise. I realize we or at least I am in a minority though.

Edited by ryano

RCI knew there was a problem with the ship the week before, ( the 11/30/14 cruise), when they dropped a pod in the Bahamas and went to Mexico instead of St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I called RCI BEFORE I boarded the ship on 12/7/14 and was told there would be no changes to the itinerary. While I applaud the RCI decision to evacuate the baby in Grand Cayman for the medical emergency, I also feel I AM ENTITLED to port charges to my account for Cozumel. And Diver 2014? I would say that you were a tad condescending in your banter. Just sayin................

Others on your cruise are reporting that the port charges were refunded. You need to take it up with RCI.

Just get me on the damn ship. I dont care where it goes. In fact, I dont care if we go out in the ocean and make big circles for 7 days. I do not and will not book a cruise based on the ports as that is not why I cruise. I realize we or at least I am in a minority though.

Lol! I do look forward to the ports and I do research before I book. We also paid a lot of money for this trip, but this close to sailing, what can we do? Even if they gave us all our money back, it's a bit tight to plan a new vacation with only a week to go. A lot of it is attitude. We are easy going people and we will enjoy this trip regardless of where it goes. I'm not going to get on the ship with a bad attitude because there have been changes to the itinerary. That pretty much guarantees a bad experience, right off the bat.

Relax. Enjoy...have a Guinness! ;)

Like X one million! ^^^^^^^^^^^

88_facebook_like_button_big.jpeg

Thank you. So I ruffled some feathers, oh well. I'm with you..just get me on the damn ship! I don't care where it goes (been to most of the ports) so I cruise now just to experience the ship. Yes, I know, many people have to fly to catch a ship and make extensive plans but if you travel...just try to enjoy the experience. Easy for me to say since I live in south Florida, heh, heh, heh.:cool:

I'm not going to get on the ship with a bad attitude because there have been changes to the itinerary. That pretty much guarantees a bad experience, right off the bat.

Relax. Enjoy...have a Guinness! ;)

Good for you! Thats a very nice way to look at things and Im sure you will enjoy your cruise no matter where it goes!

Thank you. So I ruffled some feathers, oh well. I'm with you..just get me on the damn ship! I don't care where it goes (been to most of the ports) so I cruise now just to experience the ship. Yes, I know, many people have to fly to catch a ship and make extensive plans but if you travel...just try to enjoy the experience. Easy for me to say since I live in south Florida, heh, heh, heh.:cool:

The best thing I like about the ports is 90% of the passengers leaving the ship leaving it almost empty for me to enjoy :D Dont get me wrong. i will get off the ship but mostly I am never out of sight of the ship and its generally for only an hour or two. I'm not an excursion taker. Excursions for paraplegics like myself are weak and few anyway. Im also not a big shopper so anything over a couple hours off the ship is overkill for me.

I just want to be on the ship! :) I think by my time in April all these issues will be worked out but I would not be upset with a itinerary change or shortened times in por t as long as I get my 7 nights on board the ship. A nice little OBC for compensation would just be a bonus :)

Again though, I am speaking solely for myself and realize Im in a minority :)

Edited by ryano

Really knows about existing issues. Having been on a couple of cruises without air conditioning or not working properly, this was a known problem with certain cabins, yes they tried to fix it but but. RC did not know enough not to book these cabins. So even the left hand might not know what the left hand is doing. At least the Freedom problem is known but to resolve it properly would be expensive this time of year and RC is not about to change anything that will cost revenue, even if it will be disappoint to many. I believe all cruise would handle the Freedoms problems the same way.

I think the issue is that the people you cited as "complainers" here on Cruise Critic were cited in the instance of the FOS situation. I don't disagree there are some "complainers" on CC. However, I also think it's really pretty fair to point out a) RCCL has decided to compensate for the issue [so, in their view, this was deserved of compensation to passengers], and b) the compensation appears at least in the example of the 11/30 passengers and 12/7 passengers to significantly compensate one cruise and not at all compensate another group. So people that share this information and their opinions in this case I wouldn't say are "complainers" who "should read their contract" but that's just my opinion.

I wholeheartedly agree that whatever the outcome, I hope everybody can have your attitude once on the ship - have a great time and if you get dealt a lemon make lemonade. That's the prevailing viewpoint on here I think so that's good.

I completely agree with what you said. I was also on the same sailing, I went to Guest Services, and inquired about the port charges, and pretty much got the same answer as you did. The difference is the port charge was not refunded to me, or it did not reflect in my final statement.

I have sent an email to inquire about whether they will refund me the port charges, but I'm not holding high hopes of receiving an actual refund.

Port charges will typically be refunded to the credit card you used to pay for the cruise, takes a few days.

I was on the Dec 7th sailing too. We received $15 compensation pp for missing the port. I am frustrated because it took us years to save for the cruise (have 3 children) and we missed so much. In regards to the sick baby, had the propellers been working fine, we would have still been on Grand Cayman when it was decided to go to the hospital. That would have been much better for her too than having to wait for hours more to receive her surgery. I wished they would have offered money for another sailing. Even if it was just a little bit, it would help people like us to maybe not have to wait another 5 years.

I have contacted Royal Caribbean this week and they said they are working on compensation. I expect they are offering 25% off a future cruise. For me that's not good enough I will be pushing for 25% refund on this cruise. Our port time was cut down from 34 hours to 20. You are right they could have caught up if all propellers were functioning. The very least they could have done was a stop at their port in Coco Cay Bahamas which was right on the way back. Speed going back was only 14 knots. Believe me going much slower and with the price of oil down they are making more money. Interestingly enough, one of the crew members told me there was no sick baby and they only used that excuse as they knew that if we went to Cozumel it would be very short time and they would have a problem getting back to Port Canaveral on time Sunday.

I have contacted Royal Caribbean this week and they said they are working on compensation. I expect they are offering 25% off a future cruise. For me that's not good enough I will be pushing for 25% refund on this cruise. Our port time was cut down from 34 hours to 20. You are right they could have caught up if all propellers were functioning. The very least they could have done was a stop at their port in Coco Cay Bahamas which was right on the way back. Speed going back was only 14 knots. Believe me going much slower and with the price of oil down they are making more money. Interestingly enough, one of the crew members told me there was no sick baby and they only used that excuse as they knew that if we went to Cozumel it would be very short time and they would have a problem getting back to Port Canaveral on time Sunday.

Wow, interesting comment about RCCL making up a story that a baby was sick! Anyone else hear that the sick baby story was fake?

M

Wow, interesting comment about RCCL making up a story that a baby was sick! Anyone else hear that the sick baby story was fake?

M

I was on the 12/7 cruise and heard the ALPHA emergency call on the PA. Shortly afterwards the Captain made an announcement that we were returning to to Grand Cayman (the closest port) due to the medical emergency. Since we were 2-1/2 hours away from Grand Cayman at the time, the U-Turn and transport to the Hospital took over 5 hours.

Ships don't backtrack for anything less than an emergency. With the detour, stopping at Cozumel didn't make any sense.