Alcohol on Oceania

wally_bushy

If you just want to get wine then it is about 10-15 minute walk to Pike Place market from Pier 66. Also easy to get a cab since they will be leaving empty bringing passengers.

I'll second this recommendation. Do note that cabs in Seattle are extremely expensive.

Downtown Spirits will deliver but as with all liquor delivery they are not allowed to "meet you". They need a firm address and the hotel staff cannot accept it for you. The person who picks up has to show the same ID that was used to order OR the person has to show both the ID that ordered and their ID. I'm assuming your concierge will not be in possession of your ID ;)

We'll be on the Marina in the Mediterranean this next year. Does anyone know the beer prices?

If you do buy the alcohol package,

do you flash a card or band, and not have to sign a ticket at all?

You still sign, but theoretically only once per passenger per venue (inventory control).

180337.jpg

Passengers who buy into one of the Beverage Packages have their World Cards modified to show that they are participating.

I have purchased prestige drinks package, in the dining venues to avoid wine by the glass orders does this permit the ordering of a bottle of wine

Nothing about the Package precludes buying a bottle in one of the Restaurants, but only wine by the glass is covered by the Package.

You still sign, but theoretically only once per passenger per venue (inventory control).

Passengers who buy into one of the Beverage Packages have their World Cards modified to show that they are participating.

We had the Premium package on our last Riviera cruise and never were asked to sign once. We WERE asked to show our keycards and on it it said "BIB". Sometimes it was taken and swiped. Sometimes we were just thanked. But we never once signed.

(I subsequently learnt from JimandStan that BIB means "Best In Bar". )

Another question though! Why on earth would one have to show an ID to buy a bottle of wine or spirits? Never seen that in the US before.

Another question though! Why on earth would one have to show an ID to buy a bottle of wine or spirits? Never seen that in the US before.

Guessing you mean in a shop on land??

I do not have the answer as I am clearly over the drinking age but we also had to show ID when purchasing wine in Florida shop

That response (see Post # 52) related to buying wine at the Embarkation port and having it delivered to the ship (as opposed to the passenger carrying it).

The ID in question would identify the Passenger as sailing on the ship that day, which might be needed by the liquor store delivery person, in order to gain access to the dock.

In actuality there are some ports, and Seattle is one of them, where Vendors who wish to have access to secure Port areas for deliveries may register and receive an identity card. Provided that one has chosen such a merchant, purchases need only to be labeled with name and cabin number to get through.

Thanks JimandStan for the explanation. I know the US has bizarre laws about alcohol but I couldn't imagine why I needed to show my ID card to buy a bottle of whatever... (Usually I only have to show it to go through Immigration!)

Not a bizarre law at all Gerry, they need your ID in order to prove you are at least of legal age in order to buy alcohol. Perhaps I am confused but, don't most countries/states/provices/etc. have laws about how old one has to be to purchase alcohol????

Perhaps I am confused but, don't most countries/states/provices/etc. have laws about how old one has to be to purchase alcohol????

If you look very young then yes

Usually here DH's cotton top gives his age away & we have not been asked for I.D. in many years ;)

I do not recall being asked in Texas when we are there either or maybe I just forgot

Edited by LHT28

I've seen signs in a few NYC establishments where they inform the customers that if you look to be 35 they will card you ... just protecting their butts, I guess. People used to think I looked younger than my age -- and many still do. But I can no longer pass for 21 ...

Mura

There's one casual restaurant chain around here that also cards everyone, also allegedly in the name of "non-discrimination." I'm pushing 69, and I find it neither flattering nor cute, but lazy, because their overpriced lawyers aren't willing to stand up to yet another mis-use of the "D word" in our society that has abandoned all common sense. If it were a REAL concern with "non-discrimination," one would think more restaurants would be doing this.

Edited by Tarpeian Rock

In Albuquerque several days ago my wife and I went into a local 7-11 to buy 2 bottles of beer. When we got to the counter the girl wanted ID from both of us. My wife had left her's in the car. I said I was buying both bottles but the girl said since my wife had "touched" one of the bottles she had to show ID or we would not be allowed to buy. I offered to put the beer back and than take them out after my wife left the store but that was no good either. We would not be permitted to leave with any alcohol until my wife showed id which she finally got from the car. I might mention that we are both 67 !!

Some areas take this way to far.

In a similar vein, local grocery stores ask EVERYONE if they want help out with their purchases. It is kind of funny when all you buy is a candy bar or a quart of milk but I was told it is not their job to decide who is too old or too feeble. They could be accused of violating the ADA law!!!

Who forgot to write common sense into the Constitution.:D

It's early evening and there is an elderly woman (appears to be in nineties) ahead of me in checkout line. She has a bottle of wine. There is a sign on cash register reading "We card everybody." Cashier asks woman for ID. Woman, hands shaking, attempts to find in wallet. Difficult for her to see and she is fumbling. Spills contents of wallet on floor. I pick contents up and hand it to her. She appears on verge of tears. I ask cashier to waive the ID requirement under the circumstances. He actually refuses. Lady gives up on purchase. So do I.

Edited by ohmark

My father was visiting me in Tennessee. He went to buy beer, and got his panties in a wad because the clerk had to ask him for his ID.

Made quite a scene... The clerk was just going his job. He didn't make the rule, but he was following it. There are many rules I didn't make, that I follow that I think are silly.

It is programmed into the cash registers he to not be able to proceed with the transaction without entering in a DOB of the customer.

It takes the age estimation out of the hands of the clerk... Do they look 21, 27,28, 32, 35 etc... If they ask EVERYONE, without exception, the clerk can not be accused of selling to someone "who looked 25".

The clerk was just doing their job. Be nice.

Off my soapbox.

Are these rules state-to-state requirements? They do seem pretty silly when pushed to these extremes.

Living in NYC I've never had to produce an I.D. to buy wine, beer or spirits. The merchants I patronize know me, but I doubt that's the reason why they never ask.

Mura

Are these rules state-to-state requirements? They do seem pretty silly when pushed to these extremes.

Mura, I think they come from each individual merchant. Especially those who have had clerks busted for selling alcohol to minors. Programming the register is an easy way to guarantee compliance. Clerks can get busy and easily skip asking.

Mura, I think they come from each individual merchant. Especially those who have had clerks busted for selling alcohol to minors. Programming the register is an easy way to guarantee compliance. Clerks can get busy and easily skip asking.

A couple counties around me in GA are so strict against liquor violations (there still are 'dry' counties) that merchants are overzealous checking IDs - make the rule for employees that ALL must be checked, gray hair or no. One clerk said that if the security cameras caught them not checking ID they would be in trouble with owner. One tavern near a college 1) checks all IDs at entryway 2) server later checks at table too if ordering liquor. Double check prevents a 'buddy pass'. Its usually not the employee wanting to harass customers. WHEN IN ROME......