Cuba Anyone?

keeponcruising

Very helpful post. Thank you.

I wonder if the new majority that will be sworn in January will have sufficient votes (or inclination) to reverse Sen. Reid's rule? Were that to be the case, could they vote to lift the embargo?

Excellent question Sail! So, the Ambassador posting would be subject to Senate approval only - and I could imagine if the President doesn't go with a recess appointment here very quickly there would be an effort to block it. The majority rule is in question still if it will be reversed. The member that I used to work for is no longer a Member of Congress, so I don't have my contacts on the Hill like I used to but I imagine that the filibuster for executive appointments has seen its last days - it's very hard to go back to having to clear a 60 vote threshold when you only now have to clear a 51 vote threshold.

As far as the embargo goes, legislation is still subject to a 60 vote threshold for a filibuster, and I'd assume they would have a hard time getting there with Sen. Menendez, Rubio, Graham, Cruz, and a whole host of others most likely wanting to block the measure to lift the embargo - but I think there could be 60 votes there to move it through the Senate. However, I don't see it moving through the House.

The House and the Senate operate on archaic parliamentary rules and they're extremely complicated. Members in the House, if they were so inclined, could attempt a Discharge Petition to force a floor vote in the House on the measure, but it requires that a bill sit in Committee for more than 30 days and then it requires an absolute majority of 218 signatures on the petition to bring it to the floor. Needless to say, the discharge petition I believe has only been used twice in recent history to success. As much as I'd love to see cruising to Cuba, it can't happen unless the embargo is lifted and the legislative requirements of that will be a big hurdle to overcome with people on both sides of the aisle. On a side note, I love it when my two favorite topics (politics and cruising) come together!

I used to work for a Congressman (please don't hate me!).... there is the possibility of a very quick recess appointment in between the 113th and 114th Congress, and if the President wanted to dive all in, he would recess appoint an Ambassador in the next two weeks after the House and Senate adjourn).

... before you get too giddy about Obama's recess appointment options, you should understand that such appointments are effective only until the end of the then current session of Congress which means that a recess appointment of an Ambassador to Cuba would expire, at the very latest, at the end of calendar year 2015

Rod

What I do not understand is that a Western Country can just forbid its citizens to visit a certain country for decades.

In my European mindset,It is my bloody right to go wherever I please, my government has NO SAY whatsowever in where I go or do not go. If they would, I could as well live in Cuba or North Korea, where the government also decides where one can go or not go.

If they tried to impose such ban on Belgians,we would all show our middle finger and go to the "forbidden "state ( if not acountry involved in war or terrorism) just to prove a point.:D

What are the sanctions if a US citizen would indeed visit Cuba for tourism?

If they tried to impose such ban on Belgians,we would all show our middle finger and go to the "forbidden "state ( if not acountry involved in war or terrorism) just to prove a point.:D

A lot of Americans do use their "middle finger" and then the U.S. has to bail out these clowns when they are jailed or detained for no reason; e.g. Cuba, North Korea. Sorry to disagree with you but I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to undue risk or embarrass their country.

The sanctions are a hefty fine if you are caught spending money in Cuba. The only way the U.S. has to enforce this ban is when someone tries to bring items (contraband) back into the States.

... before you get too giddy about Obama's recess appointment options, you should understand that such appointments are effective only until the end of the then current session of Congress which means that a recess appointment of an Ambassador to Cuba would expire, at the very latest, at the end of calendar year 2015

Rod

Without trying to be rude, I'm well versed in how recess appointments work considering I not only worked in the legislative branch, have a bachelor's in Political Science and a Master's in Public Administration - and I never said I was giddy about them (I find them woefully ineffective and a cause of major gridlock). I was just trying to explain how the process could move along without the approval of Congress if they White House feels that they couldn't get the votes on a full appointment. This is one of the reason's that my posting number is so low on Cruise Critic - I hate that people feel the need to be rude on this board.

[

Excellent question Sail! So, the Ambassador posting would be subject to Senate approval only - and I could imagine if the President doesn't go with a recess appointment here very quickly there would be an effort to block it. The majority rule is in question still if it will be reversed. The member that I used to work for is no longer a Member of Congress, so I don't have my contacts on the Hill like I used to but I imagine that the filibuster for executive appointments has seen its last days - it's very hard to go back to having to clear a 60 vote threshold when you only now have to clear a 51 vote threshold.

As far as the embargo goes, legislation is still subject to a 60 vote threshold for a filibuster, and I'd assume they would have a hard time getting there with Sen. Menendez, Rubio, Graham, Cruz, and a whole host of others most likely wanting to block the measure to lift the embargo - but I think there could be 60 votes there to move it through the Senate. However, I don't see it moving through the House.

The House and the Senate operate on archaic parliamentary rules and they're extremely complicated. Members in the House, if they were so inclined, could attempt a Discharge Petition to force a floor vote in the House on the measure, but it requires that a bill sit in Committee for more than 30 days and then it requires an absolute majority of 218 signatures on the petition to bring it to the floor. Needless to say, the discharge petition I believe has only been used twice in recent history to success. As much as I'd love to see cruising to Cuba, it can't happen unless the embargo is lifted and the legislative requirements of that will be a big hurdle to overcome with people on both sides of the aisle. On a side note, I love it when my two favorite topics (politics and cruising) come together!

Thank you, again, for such interesting information.

You explain so well what few of us not directly involved understand about the process. Appreciate your expertise and effort to explain to us. :)

[

Thank you, again, for such interesting information.

You explain so well what few of us not directly involved understand about the process. Appreciate your expertise and effort to explain to us. :)

It's no problem at all! Trust me, I'm glad those days are behind me and I've moved on from that world - it's not fun, it's emotionally draining, and taxing on your personal life. I love working in public service for the government, but working for Congress was a whole different beast.

Now if I could just get back aboard a HAL ship (that hopefully will be stopping in Cuba in the future), we'd really be in business. My wife has never cruised (and we're both young - 24 years old each) so we're going on a 5 night Princess cruise to see if she likes cruising. The Westerdam is leaving on a 7 night cruise the same day we leave and I'll be sad to see it sail without me on it - it's one of my favorite HAL ships. I took my first HAL cruise when I was 15 and loved it - I've never been a fan of RCL and that style. When I go to vacation, I go to relax and eat good food, which HAL provides in an excellent fashion.

What I do not understand is that a Western Country can just forbid its citizens to visit a certain country for decades.

In my European mindset,It is my bloody right to go wherever I please, my government has NO SAY whatsowever in where I go or do not go. If they would, I could as well live in Cuba or North Korea, where the government also decides where one can go or not go.

Careful, the EU is renowned for imposing their crazy laws on all of us. Remember the straight bananas fiasco?

We Brits also had metric forced on us, much against our will.

Definitely more than a touch of big brother:cool:

What could happen then if Americans flew from Canada to Cuba?

Nothing. The Cubans don't stamp your passport so your trip to Cuba is invisible to U.S. immigration. I would be more concerned about what could happen inside Cuba if you are arrested for some trumped up charge or run into some other legal issue. There are legal ways to travel to Cuba via educational visits, religious sponsors, etc. Approximately 100,000 U.S. citizens visit Cuba this way each year.

My husband and I visited Cuba for a week in October 2013 on a land tour with a license for cultural or educational reasons. We do not have relatives or any connection to Cuba other than we wanted to visit. We were on a charter flight out of Tampa. We did not go to the resorts that many Canadians and Europeans go to (as Floridians we have plenty of beaches at home). We stayed in Old Havana and had a fantastic time. It is a beautiful country. I would love to go back on a ship. I'm hoping that a cruise to Cuba can get clearance the same way that the land tours do (cultural exchange or educational) and that we will see a cruise to Cuba soon. I had heard that the Canadian cruise (myCubacruise.com) had a pilot program for winter 2014 so that a small number of US citizens could join that cruise but didn't look into it because we already had plans for that time period.

I had heard that the Canadian cruise (myCubacruise.com) had a pilot program for winter 2014 so that a small number of US citizens could join that cruise but didn't look into it because we already had plans for that time period.

I researched this last year and some educational entity offered a 10 day tour to Cuba which included the 7 day MyCuba cruise. The cost was very expensive - something like $4,500 compared to about $600 if you booked the cruise alone through the Canadian company.

Before any large cruise ships from US PORTS enter Cuba the US will have to alter the current regulations dealing with the strict programs that must be part of any visit, since the Cuban infrastructure that provides the needed person to person and educational programs the US requires is not up to handling large numbers of visitors.

Currently anyone from the US can visit Cuba Via Air since the relatively smaller number of visitors can easily take part in the group programs approved by the US as far as their content and size..

Non US visitors are not required to fulfill any such requirements and enter freely by any means of transport.

The newer policy does not seem to address any of the above issues but instead deals with easier visits for relatives, journalists, business, personalities and the such as well as now allowing increased spending in Cuba for those allowed along with the ability to bring back Cigars and Rum..LOL

Drop all the tourist requirements and let us spend our money at local privately owned restaurants, craft shops, bars and any number of the numerous small enterprises the people of Cuba are now opening. Let us stay on our cruise ship and not have to spend our cash at Government owned venues.

Seems more like the US is looking more at profits and tax money from a new market (not a bad thing) while ignoring the value of boosting the local people up a few notches. That type of GOOD WILL is invaluable to the creation of a good neighbor, especially one only a few scant miles off our southern shore.

OMO

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

Careful, the EU is renowned for imposing their crazy laws on all of us. Remember the straight bananas fiasco?

We Brits also had metric forced on us, much against our will.

Definitely more than a touch of big brother:cool:

I was just finishing high school when we went metric in Canada (1970 and under protest) and I am now glad we did. It is nice to travel the world and be comfortable with Celsius and Kilometres but I have to admit I still work in pounds and ounces for weight. lol Very few countries are not metric.

Canada as well, does/would not ban us from travelling to any country. I subscribe to the Government of Canada's Travel Advisory for email alerts mainly because our annual travel insurance will not cover us if we go to a country like North Korea where they have a "Avoid all Travel" advisory. But we can still go if we wish.

Canada has had a relationship with Cuba since the 18th century and has had an Cuban embassy in Ottawa since 1945.

Fidel Castro was a pall bearer at Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau's funeral in 2000

We are capable of looking after our own citizens (and US citizens as well - Iran)

Helm-Burton Act - Note Canada has 85 companies in Cuba. Apparently these companies are not worried about this "threat" or not being able to go to the US:)

"International Sanctions against the Cuban Government. Economic embargo, any non-U.S. company that deals economically with Cuba can be subjected to legal action and that company's leadership can be barred from entry into the United States. Sanctions may be applied to non-U.S. companies trading with Cuba. This means that internationally operating companies have to choose between Cuba and the U.S., which is a much larger market."

I fail to understand why this embargo has gone on so long. You can bet your bottom dollar that many, many US corporations have their go to plan ready for when the embargo is lifted.

I fail to understand why this embargo has gone on so long. You can bet your bottom dollar that many, many US corporations have their go to plan ready for when the embargo is lifted.

Maybe its because the Castro government remains one of the most oppressive regimes on the planet; and maybe its because the the Castro government is less eager than the U.S. to remove the embargo because that would also remove the primary blame Cuba uses to rationalize their disastrous economy; and maybe some governments place a higher value on their own financial gain than human rights.

Maybe its because the Castro government remains one of the most oppressive regimes on the planet; and maybe its because the the Castro government is less eager than the U.S. to remove the embargo because that would also remove the primary blame Cuba uses to rationalize their disastrous economy; and maybe some governments place a higher value on their own financial gain than human rights.

Oh Ok:rolleyes:

Without trying to be rude, I'm well versed in how recess appointments work ... This is one of the reason's that my posting number is so low on Cruise Critic - I hate that people feel the need to be rude on this board.

... if you are apologizing for the rudeness of your post above, apology accepted ... on the other hand if you are upbraiding me for being rude, I suggest you look up the meaning of the word "rude" ... in any event, if you feel my earlier post failed to show proper deference to you, I apologize ...

Rod

Your "less eager" comment reminded me of some facts most people know little or nothing about. The embargo isn't just a one sided US thing. Cuba plays a big role also. I bet most people don't know we can't deport Cuban nationals who commit major felonies here because Cuba won't accept their citizens who have any sort of US status. It does happen from time to time on a very limited basis but as a rule, it doesn't. Haitian, Dominican, Canadian, whatever...get convicted of a felony, you're gone. Cuban...nope. They just get a mark on their file and even if they self deport by plane, boat, whatever, we still have to let them back in. That's also part of the reason dry foot Cuban migrants get to stay. It's more than just a Clinton thing. Cuba won't accept them if we try to repatriate.

Sorry meant to quote Aquahound!

Doesn't that seem part and parcel of not having any type of negotiated "relationship" with Cuba? If you don't talk to them "politically" how can issues like this be solved? Other countries seem to do it. Sorry I am Canadian! We live a simple life lol

Edited by Christine Frances

Sorry meant to quote Aquahound!

Doesn't that seem part and parcel of not having any type of negotiated "relationship" with Cuba? If you don't talk to them "politically" how can issues like this be solved? Other countries seem to do it. Sorry I am Canadian! We live a simple life lol

Yes. Actually, talks and some small level cooperation has been going on for some years now, building up to this latest development. I can't really expand on that, but where we are now was a long time in the making. All I can say is, I really don't think the U.S. is mainly to blame for the slow development. The existence of the Castros is and will remain a major roadblock. I'm pessimistic of a full embargo lifting prior to their parting.