Croque Monsieur

Merlinite

Croque-monsieur

• The croque-monsieur is a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. It originated in French cafés and bars as a quick snack. Typically, Emmental or Gruyère cheese is used. The name is based on the verb croquer and the word monsieur. The sandwich's first recorded appearance on a Parisian café menu was in 1910.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I know a chef and she laughs at such menu items. Polenta is cooked cream of wheat. It is French used to obscure the food item instead of communication -- the menu could use the name and then tell what it is.

Polenta - at least in Italy - is made from cornmeal. Northern Italian cuisine features lots of dishes/meals that include polenta.

• Like 2

Turkey, ham and cheese in bread that has been battered and deep or pan fried (kind of like french toast). Usually served with grape jam. Known elsewhere as a monte cristo (also a french name!).

croque monsieur is completely different from a monte cristo... you have described a monte cristo perfectly..

the croque is usually made with a bechamel (a french white sauce made from butter flour milk and nutmeg)... princess' croque is simply a ham and cheese on egg bread.. so it is not a true croque.. and i was very disappointed when i ordered it

• Like 2

croque monsieur is completely different from a monte cristo... you have described a monte cristo perfectly..

the croque is usually made with a bechamel (a french white sauce made from butter flour milk and nutmeg)... princess' croque is simply a ham and cheese on egg bread.. so it is not a true croque.. and i was very disappointed when i ordered it

I agree. I love a good Croque Monsieur. Yummy. Always try to order it if I'm in France. The bread is dipped in egg batter before its grilled. So good! I also like a good Croque Madame. Slightly different. As said, a Croque Monsieur is very different from a Monte Cristo. Both French, though. :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croque-monsieur

• Like 1

.... and not a croque of any kind unless it has been made using béchamel sauce.

A croque-madame is a croque-monsieur with an egg on top.

If your cruise goes to France, Guadeloupe, Martinique or St Barthélemy you will find it on the snack menu of every street café.

If you are already familiar with a real croque then don't order one on Princess. You will be disappointed

Edited by Corfe Mixture
Correcting the work of the iPad auto spell correction!!!
  • Like 1

Polenta - at least in Italy - is made from cornmeal. Northern Italian cuisine features lots of dishes/meals that include polenta.

And right you are. I'm from Northern Italian descent. Grilled polenta served with a wild mushroom sautee, yummy. Many ways to use it. It was a staple with Grandma. I wouldn't judge a Croque Monsieur from Princess. Hey, I've tasted their rendition of Italian cooking.

I think the Monte Cristo is 100% American :)

I'm glad someone said that. I live in France for five months of the year and I hadn't a clue what a Monte Cristo is until I read this thread.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Indeed, a croque monsieur is not a monte cristo. I love them both, including the croque madame. A croque monsieur is my favorite sandwich! However, they had better prepare it well, it is not just a plain ham and cheese sandwich, it takes a bit of work and prep.

20120103-185714-GFTues-Croque-Monsieur.jpg

Edited by loubetti

Indeed, a croque monsieur is not a monte cristo. I love them both, including the croque madame. A croque monsieur is my favorite sandwich! However, they had better prepare it well, it is not just a plain ham and cheese sandwich, it takes a bit of work and prep.

20120103-185714-GFTues-Croque-Monsieur.jpg

You did it now. I will have to make these (with the egg :)) for Sunday morning. Will not be happy until I do now that this awesome picture is in my head. Guess I'll just have to suffer through it.

Great picture all kidding aside did you make this?

Turkey, ham and cheese in bread that has been battered and deep or pan fried (kind of like french toast). Usually served with grape jam. Known elsewhere as a monte cristo (also a french name!).

Surely a Croque Monsieur is French and I don't think grape jelly figures very largely in France or any country except the USA and I have never seen a battered Croque Monsieur - they are grilled/toasted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Surely a Croque Monsieur is French and I don't think grape jelly figures very largely in France or any country except the USA and I have never seen a battered Croque Monsieur - they are grilled/toasted.

I have spent a fair amount of time in France (family there) and I have never seen a Monte Cristo on any menu. In fact, the only place I see it regularly is in Las Vegas. I have eaten my fair share of Croque Monsieur in France, too, and I have had good ones and bad ones and everything in between. Grilled ham and cheese. That's what they are.