Croque Monsieur

Merlinite

I know a chef and she laughs at such menu items. Polenta is cooked cream of wheat. It is French used to obscure the food item instead of communication -- the menu could use the name and then tell what it is.

Polenta is not cooked cream of wheat. It's cooked cornmeal. Basically it's grits. It's not french, but Italian.

• Like 1

Today I saw a Princess ‘croque-monsieur’ and I couldn’t resist laughing as it was obviously named by someone with an exceptionally good sense of humour.

Earlier in this thread, I said that it would not be a croque of any kind unless it is made with béchamel sauce, and I rather assumed that what Princess call a croque-monsieur, whilst not tasting like a croque, it would at least look right and that this would lead to some folks being disappointed.

I was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

People who know what a real croque-monsieur tastes like will not be disappointed.

However this will not be because the taste will in any way resemble a croque-monsieur. It will be because it doesn’t even vaguely look like a croque-monsieur. So the good news is that there is no possibility that anyone who knows the real thing will take one and expect it to taste right.

After I saw one, today on Ocean Princess, I sent my wife around to look for herself.

Not being aware of this thread, she was more generous in her comment. She suggested that they had probably run out of croques and had forgotten to change the label when they replaced it with a toasted ham sandwich.

I didn't have a camera to take a photo, but I can describe it very accurately. It was triangular in shape (like a normal sandwich) and consisted of many layers of COLD ham between two pieces of toast, which may also have been cold. There may or may not have been some cheese between the two layers and beneath the mass of thin ham, but I could not be sure - I wasn't inclined to find out.

I did notice that only one seemed to have been taken!!. :confused: :D :eek:

>Polenta is not cooked cream of wheat. It's cooked cornmeal. Basically it's grits. <

2/3 correct.

Cornmeal and grits (pronounced greee its) are not the same thing.

Ira

Correct! Grits is not polenta, no more than a ham and cheese sandwich is a Croque Monsieur.

Now, has anyone ever had a good "spedini"?

The room service menu describes the sandwich: "Grilled ham and cheese sandwich dipped in egg."

We enjoy ordering stuff just to find out what it is. If it isn't all that good we will only eat a bit of it and then find something else. It isn't as if there is a lack of food on the ship.......:cool:

I agree. Never have I heard croque Monsieur referred to as a fromage sandwich:eek:

Not sure there was any cheese on the one I saw yesterday. Lots of cold rolled ham between two pieces of cold toast, one of which may or may not have had some cheese on it.

Call it what you like but it wasn't anything like a croque-monsieur

• 4 years later...

Croque Monsieur has 2 layers of cheese, one inside and one outside. It also has lovely french mustard. Sometimes even bechemel. Alas, when I ordered the Croque Monsieur I was expecting a lovely cheese topped sandwich with mustard sauce but what I got was a pretty lame monte cristo served with preserves. There is nothing wrong with a monte cristo and I would have cheerfully eaten it, but I was so excited croque monsier. 

On 12/19/2014 at 3:11 AM, Pam in CA said:

I agree. I love a good Croque Monsieur. Yummy. Always try to order it if I'm in France. The bread is dipped in egg batter before its grilled. So good! I also like a good Croque Madame. Slightly different. As said, a Croque Monsieur is very different from a Monte Cristo. Both French, though. 🙂

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croque-monsieur

Agree!  I like both of them as well.  The Croque Madame has an egg.  Had this for the first time in France when we stopped at a little local cafe on our way to Normandy!

Edited by suzyed

24 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Agree!  I like both of them as well.  The Croque Madame has an egg.  Had this for the first time in France when we stopped at a little local cafe on our way to Normandy!

A Croque Madame has a fried or poached egg on top. The Monsieur does not. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2014 at 12:12 PM, I_r_a said:

>Polenta is not cooked cream of wheat. It's cooked cornmeal. Basically it's grits. <

2/3 correct.

Cornmeal and grits (pronounced greee its) are not the same thing.

Ira

Corn meal and corn grits are 100% the same thing. There is also Hominy grits, which are made of...wait for it...

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Typing  "Croque Monsieur" into Google would have given you your answer immediately.

DON

why do you do this? If you don't want to answer the question just don't. Asking the question here allowed us all to learn to either order the heck out of what is actually a lame Monte Cristo or avoid it like the plague. Also, there were some great giggles all up in here. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Peckishpixie said:

why do you do this? If you don't want to answer the question just don't. Asking the question here allowed us all to learn to either order the heck out of what is actually a lame Monte Cristo or avoid it like the plague. Also, there were some great giggles all up in here. 

I will tell you why and you should note that if you check my posts, I do provide good and sometimes long answers to questions that are difficult to research on Google.  However, I do not see the point of providing a long answer to a question that an OP could research on Google by typing 2 or 3 words and clicking on the first or second hit.  Also, I feel that I have answered the question often by telling them what words to type.  Maybe and it is probably a hopeless hope that these people will learn that Google should be your first go-to tool.  No question that CC is also a good research tool but it should not be your first research tool.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I will tell you why and you should note that if you check my posts, I do provide good and sometimes long answers to questions that are difficult to research on Google.  However, I do not see the point of providing a long answer to a question that an OP could research on Google by typing 2 or 3 words and clicking on the first or second hit.  Also, I feel that I have answered the question often by telling them what words to type.  Maybe and it is probably a hopeless hope that these people will learn that Google should be your first go-to tool.  No question that CC is also a good research tool but it should not be your first research tool.

DON

I believe the question was actually more to determine if what Princess is offering is indeed "authentic" or a poor interpretation.   It seems most of us already knew what the Croque Monsieur is or supposed to be.
I think it safe to say that we won't be ordering it off the menu on our next Princess cruise!  LOL!   🤪

• Like 1