Prescription Bottles

Travelw

I have never carries the bottles. I have never carried the prescriptions. I have never been asked about my pills.

DON

While I agree that there is no requirement or need to carry actual prescriptions or original bottles, you do need to have the prescription information available if it is requested by appropriate law enforcement authorities. Perhaps equally important, carrying Rx info on your person is a wise practice should you ever meet with a serious accident in a foreign country.

Might I suggest that you ask your pharmacist for a "back panel," which lists all your scripts along with MD et al. Info. This can be carried with you or reduced to a pdf for storage on a smart phone.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

While I agree that there is no requirements or need to carry actual prescriptions or original bottles, you do need to have the prescription information available if it is requested by appropriate law enforcement authorities. Perhaps equally important, carry Rx info in your person is a wise practice should you ever meet with a serious accident in a foreign country.

Might I suggest that you ask your pharmacist for a "back panel," which lists all your scripts along with MD et al. Info. This can be carried with you or reduced to a pdf for storage on a smart phone.

I do carry a small sheet of paper that lists all the pills I take and also the name and contact information of all my doctors. That is all that I need.

DON

I've always wondered what a bottle proves. Your name is on it, yes, but do all TSA types know what each of the pills looks like? It seems to me you could dump just about anything into the bottle and say, "Yep. Antibiotics."

If you are hospitalized and can't speak for any reason, at least a medical professional (or travelling companion) will know just what you need to stay well...or alive!

Always be sure medication is labeled. Flying El Al once, they emptied my pills out on a table and quizzed the heck out of me about what they were. They were not labeled and I won't make that mistake again.

We have done numerous cruises with many pre-cruise stays in Europe and never bring the bottles. We also fly within the states quite a bit to visit family. We used to use the 7-day plastic pill cases but now use the small plastic pill bags and have never had anyone question us.

Marianne

Same here...never been questioned about pills. Some we carry in the original bottle and some we put in a baggie. Has never been an issue.

• 5 months later...
With the understanding that a "back panel" list of your Rx meds, provided by your pharmacist (and containing all the appropriate info), is all the "labeling" you actually need when traveling, there still remains the best way to contain those meds.

Here's a different approach: pillpack.com

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has gone this route.

Very interesting but it looks a bit bulky and you get a shipment every two weeks. I buy most (but not all) of my meds via PrimeMail and get them in a 90 day supply. The pre-packaged daily doses would be fantastic for travel though. I too would be interested to hear if anybody here gets their meds via the pillpack.com route.

I get almost all my meds through PillPack; though they can't mail any Schedule 2 so I have to get and keep those in the old style bottle. That one really isn't a big problem since I take it at the exact same time as all my other medicines so I don't forget to take it that way.

They do send them in boxes every 2 weeks, but if you have a trip coming up and need a longer dose they can send more. I think they still bill it as 30 and 90 day supplies to the insurance, they just send them out every 2 weeks. I've yet to take a cruise while using them, so Nov 21st will be the first time I take them out of the country with me.

I have the little plastic bags, and I got an extra set of prescription bottle labels from the pharmacy. Each bag has an original label on it. For non-prescription things, I cut off a label from the bottle and taped it on the little bag. I also carry a list of my meds, including description, and name and phone # of prescribing doctor. It saves a lot of space, but should still meet the requirements for just about anywhere.

Now, when I go to Singapore in 2017...

I've always wondered what a bottle proves. Your name is on it, yes, but do all TSA types know what each of the pills looks like? It seems to me you could dump just about anything into the bottle and say, "Yep. Antibiotics."

My thought exactly. Unless there was a thorough examination (for example for contraband drugs) then who is going to know what's in there?

I bring different supplements in a square plastic container with sections for each pill type and no one has ever questioned it - TSA or other security.

I do carry a small sheet of paper that lists all the pills I take and also the name and contact information of all my doctors. That is all that I need.

DON

Unless you encounter the authorities in any US state...

Do you need to bring your prescriptions in the original bottles when going to Europe? We normally bring our prescriptions in a pill carrying case when travelling.

Thanks

Dennis

I've never been asked to present medications for inspection and have traveled overseas. Just to err on the safe side, I bring a letter from the GP to cover the prescription drugs and this letter also outlines current conditions. I take enough meds for the length of the cruise and "dispense" them into the weekly pill box once on board.

Edited by Kinkacruiser