How long before Carnival goes to the wrist bands

CJHAN

While it would be nice to offer wristbands as an option, I cannot see this happening. The cost to have two separate forms of paying for items, entering your room would be cost prohibitive. As for the individual who mentioned that "everyone wanted this" I laugh upon your lapel!

I don't want to wear a wrist band. I don't know how parents keep them on the kids.

You know that every kid on a Carnival cruise already has to wear a wrist band with their muster station on it, right? They keep them on by not making them removable without scissors.

Ah yes, I can see it now. Elegant nite with all passengers dawning thier wristbands.maybe i will get to wear a secknd band for shore excursion?! One for each arm! Maybe ill just collect them throughout the cruise and never take them off! Sweetness. It will be a new fashion trend.

I think what most of the posts in this thread show is that people don't do well with change.

I would not be surprised to see more places move towards something similar to the magic band. Disney people hated them too until they really started using them now most love them. I see the convenience of them but I also know that there are still some kinks to be worked out. I have a friend that is a cast member that has said they still have issues mostly with them not working when they should. Some people here act like it would be the end of the world if they had them but it's not that big a deal and no different than having to carry your card. You can wear the band or put it in your pocket. No big deal.

Those wrist bands will look great with my cocktail dress, I'm sure. :( yuck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

And this is creating an issue that wouldn't exist. They are removable and you are not required to wear them so how would wearing formal wear have any impact on a band.

And this is creating an issue that wouldn't exist. They are removable and you are not required to wear them so how would wearing formal wear have any impact on a band.

If u can remove them and aren't required to wear them, then why switch to them?

If u can remove them and aren't required to wear them, then why switch to them?

Why did everyone switch to credit card keys for hotel rooms instead of regular keys? It gave no huge gain to hotels and cost tons of money to upgrade systems and install new door locks. Because it's forward progress and as technology changes so does everything else.

So many overly dramatic people on this thread. This isn't even something happening in the near future yet people are panicking. Who knows if they might move to something like what Disney does. I personally wouldn't be surprised. But if and when it does happen it won't matter what the consumer wants or thinks makes sense. Just like Disney, they will do what they feel is the most beneficial. And the consumer that can't deal with change will grumble for a little bit, get over it and continue to sail anyway.

And really I believe if most had experience with the magic bands at Disney they would see what a big deal it isn't, to wear them or use them.

Why did everyone switch to credit card keys for hotel rooms instead of regular keys? It gave no huge gain to hotels and cost tons of money to upgrade systems and install new door locks. Because it's forward progress and as technology changes so does everything else.

So many overly dramatic people on this thread. This isn't even something happening in the near future yet people are panicking. Who knows if they might move to something like what Disney does. I personally wouldn't be surprised. But if and when it does happen it won't matter what the consumer wants or thinks makes sense. Just like Disney, they will do what they feel is the most beneficial. And the consumer that can't deal with change will grumble for a little bit, get over it and continue to sail anyway.

And really I believe if most had experience with the magic bands at Disney they would see what a big deal it isn't, to wear them or use them.

Because if you loose a key card they can easily program a new one rather than getting a lock smith. You compare apples to oranges to make try to make a lack luster point.

Because if you loose a key card they can easily program a new one rather than getting a lock smith. You compare apples to oranges to make try to make a lack luster point.

I don't need to make any point as this isn't something they have said they are even working on. But I get it. People think if they say how stupid something is or how it makes no sense that it will help convince the company that it's the wrong choice.

It worked really well with the magic bands. So much that they are working on rolling them out to all their parks and resorts.

But please continue to grumble away.

Who has been dramatic on this thread? I've read most of it and those who have posted seem more calm than usual for CC. In fact, I've been a little surprised by that. I just see people posting their opinions, for or against the idea of wristbands, and stating pros and cons. I'll admit, I've seen a lot more cons than pros for this idea. Perhaps that's because the idea isn't a good one? Technology just for the sake of technology doesn't seem like much of a selling point to me. What exactly would be the benefits of changing to wristbands? If they are made to not be removed, they are a nuisance. If they are made to be removable, they are just as losable as a card, perhaps more so. So where is the benefit, especially taking into consideration the expense of changing systems, which would be reflected in the price of cruising?

I wore a wristband at Disney World. I thought it would be cumbersome and I'd hate it. Surprisingly, I didn't mind it and it was very convenient. And for those who don't want to wear one, I suppose they could put it on a lanyard like they do with sign and sail cards or pull it out of their purse and use it just like they do with their card. Also, they are removable so you can take it off to shower or at night. I will go with whichever Carnival decides.

I guess I must be short-sighted because when I thought of a wristband, I pictured those ones that stick on, that you can't remove (except with scissors).

Maybe I changed my mind...not having to carry anything would be nice, I refuse to wear a lanyard and don't always have pockets....

I would personally prefer a wristband, as I always worry about somehow managing to lose our S&S cards.

We find the Disney World MagicBands really nice getting to use them to open our room, entrance into the parks, paying for purchases, etc. I would love something similar for our cruises with Carnival.

We always keep our bands for memories so I don't see why people can't just save the bands like they do the S&S cards. Maybe they could add the touch of putting the sail date and ship name on the bands to make them more of a keepsake for cruisers, that would be very simple. Or, you could just personalize them yourself like we do with our MagicBands. Etsy always has cute decals and stuff :D

Do you constantly worry about losing your driver license also?

I love the idea. They have them if you have stayed at great wolf lodge. They are wonderful and stress free. They can add the same technology to your sign and sail card though and you would never know they were tracking you it does not take a bracelet form to do so.

This thing about being tracked drives me crazy. For all we know Carnival is already doing it with the SS card.

This is interesting. It seems that most people who have used them with Disney seem to like the idea. When Disney first rolled the idea out most people had the same reaction as many of you (I don't want to be tracked and such) now most like the idea. Disney is an innovator and most follow what they do I think this will be one of those things.

Do you constantly worry about losing your driver license also?

I don't because I keep it in my billfold but when on a cruise where everything is cashless I don't carry it. Also I don't have to pull my drivers license to open the door or buy a drink so I tend to keep it in a more secure location.

This thing about being tracked drives me crazy. For all we know Carnival is already doing it with the SS card.

There is no RFID in a S&S card, it is a magnetic stripe. They can only track where you use it (your door, your purchases, that sort of thing). The wrist bands are an entirely different level. They know where you are all the time. how much time you looked at pictures, spent in a bar, sat at the pool, spent in your bathroom in your room, get the picture? The fact that Disney does it (and a couple of ships on RCCL - where it is voluntary I might add) does not make it best of breed in my book, far from it.

It drives me crazy as well, it should drive you crazy (although you did not mean it as such ;)).

Edited by jimbo5544