Dynamic Dining postponed for Oasis & Allure

brfan

Not a lone voice - I am VERY disappointed to hear this I have cruises booked in Allure and June and October and Oasis in November and was really looking forward to trying it. Hopefully they will introduce by the later cruises I'm taking.

Interesting to read the above posts about the 'bad' reviews. It seems you read what you want - as the reviews I've read have been anything other than bad ;)

Interesting too to hear a perspective from someone who's actually tried it and not from the many people who think they won't like it. :rolleyes:

Not happy either - like I said, I love the concept just had concerns that are not serious concerns in any event. I am hopeful that late 2015 means in time for Dec 5th!

I for one am not happy.:(

I loved the flexibility of DD on Quantum

And I was looking forward to it on both Anthem and Allure

I love having 32 choices for entrée for dinner instead of the boring same old same old limited choice MDR menus.

A lone voice amongst the complainers.

You're not alone. I like the idea of selecting where I want to dine. DD worked fine for us on our two nite CTN. Don't see how they can change it back to traditional dining on Quantum or Anthem.

While I agree with that, I just think it's nuts for people to have so much hatred for something they haven't tried. Same for people who LOVE it so much without trying it.

I don't need to burn myself & wind up in the hospital to know the stove is hot!

I don't need to see the wind to feel it!

I don't need to get ebola to know I don't want it!

I don't need to have someone steal all my belongings/money to know that it would suck!

Trying DD isn't comparable. It's just not even in the same ballpark.

I was *convinced* that I would hate cruising. I'd heard about it from family, co-workers, seen TV shows about it, etc. I was sure I would hate it. I didn't need to try it because I KNEW I would hate it.

I tried it and realized I was stupid to discount something that I hadn't tried.

I have never been snake bit but I do know I do not want experience it!! Each to their own but I do not want to schedule ahead of time every minute of a vacation!! I do not like scheduling the shows on Oaisis so why would I like scheduling dining times as well!! With over 400 days on royal I know what I like!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm wondering if this DD change maybe has something to do with the changes that recently happened in the top executive offices.

I'm wondering the same thing. Maybe they are actually listening to all of the complainers who are expressing concern over the concept. I haven't been following how DD has been going on the Quantum lately, however I remember reading it was rocky for the first few weeks. Regardless of that, I think they need to focus on the IT aspect to make sure passengers can book online with minimal difficulty and then focus on implementation by seeing what works on Quantum and what doesn't. While I am glad they are giving it more time, I am also disappointed that they couldn't get their act together sooner. I booked 2 cruises on Oasis (June and September) looking forward to DD. Sounds like it definitely won't be ready in June and who knows about September.

I'm wondering the same thing. Maybe they are actually listening to all of the complainers who are expressing concern over the concept. I haven't been following how DD has been going on the Quantum lately, however I remember reading it was rocky for the first few weeks. Regardless of that, I think they need to focus on the IT aspect to make sure passengers can book online with minimal difficulty and then focus on implementation by seeing what works on Quantum and what doesn't. While I am glad they are giving it more time, I am also disappointed that they couldn't get their act together sooner. I booked 2 cruises on Oasis (June and September) looking forward to DD. Sounds like it definitely won't be ready in June and who knows about September.

But I am glad that they seem to want to perfect DD before putting onto other ships. I was a little worried about how fast they were planning on implementing it.

I'm most likely going to book a cruise on the Oasis in the end of May and it seems that we won't have DD for that, but honestly, I'm fine either way.

Will be very funny if this has nothing to do with a decision against DD going forward and is more a logistical thing.

Personally, I don't think it is a decision against DD. I'm hoping that they are just planning to perfect it on Quantum Class first.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I think this is a smart move, and that's coming from somebody who is looking forward to trying DD at some point. I think they tried to move forward with this too fast, and now that they're having so many problems and complaints on the Quantum they finally put the brakes on.

In the meantime, Coastal Kitchen is already up, running, and wonderful on the Oasis, and it works fine even without DD. Wonderland can still work as an additional specialty restaurant without DD, and take the place of the eliminated Chef's Table. I thought MTD on the Oasis was the most chaotic and inefficient I've seen, and that alone was enough to raise concerns about the implementation of DD on the Oasis without some additional thought and preparation. Just converting the dining rooms isn't enough.

Regardless of that, I think they need to focus on the IT aspect to make sure passengers can book online with minimal difficulty and then focus on implementation by seeing what works on Quantum and what doesn't.

Ding, ding, ding..... we have a winner.

As the saying goes, the DD ship has sailed (well, at least for part of the RCI fleet). I think most folks would agree, IT issues are one of the most frustrating parts of DD. That along with staffing and the logistics of seating people are issues that will take time to work out. It is obvious it was not ready for RCI's revenue cash cow Oasis class ships. It actually makes sense to roll it out to both ships at the same time - when everything is in place. Given RCI ability to fix their IT issues, the timing is anyone's guess.

Just yesterday I changed our spring break cruise to Oasis to take advantage of all the new menu options of Dynamic Dining. I was told yesterday that our cruise would have Dynamic Dining. I gave up a really good rate on Independence to transfer over to Oasis. Everyone has their opinions, but I'm going to be really upset if Oasis doesn't have Dynamic Dining ready. Sounds kind of like a bait and switch to me. My reservation is still showing Dynamic Dining as of now.

I love how the rest of us are either 'complainers' or 'stupid' if we don't agree. Your words. :p

In your world, I'm not allowed to state I am behaving in a stupid fashion when I believe I am being stupid? That's messed up.

I didn't call anyone other than myself stupid. If you inferred I was calling you stupid, that's not what I said.

I have never been snake bit but I do know I do not want experience it!! Each to their own but I do not want to schedule ahead of time every minute of a vacation!! I do not like scheduling the shows on Oaisis so why would I like scheduling dining times as well!! With over 400 days on royal I know what I like!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That whoosh noise you just heard was the point going over your head. :)

You re-posted almost exactly what I was saying was comparing apples to oranges.

As far as the reservations thing goes, now that I've sailed Oasis, I agree with you! I hated making reservations. However, hanging DD on having to make reservations isn't the point in question. It's the concept in general.

I think most folks would agree, IT issues are one of the most frustrating parts of DD. That along with staffing and the logistics of seating people are issues that will take time to work out. It is obvious it was not ready for RCI's revenue cash cow Oasis class ships. It actually makes sense to roll it out to both ships at the same time - when everything is in place. Given RCI ability to fix their IT issues, the timing is anyone's guess.

Absolutely. The IT issues were one of our biggest issues for DD on our recent Quantum sailing.

We also didn't like DD as much as we thought we would because the menus don't change whatsoever and on the 11 night, we started to get a little bored with the choices. We had gone through almost all the ones we wanted to try (and there were a lot) by halfway through the cruise, which meant we were just eating the same things over and over again by the end. If they could switch up the menus on the longer cruises, that would help too.

Just yesterday I changed our spring break cruise to Oasis to take advantage of all the new menu options of Dynamic Dining. I was told yesterday that our cruise would have Dynamic Dining. I gave up a really good rate on Independence to transfer over to Oasis. Everyone has their opinions, but I'm going to be really upset if Oasis doesn't have Dynamic Dining ready. Sounds kind of like a bait and switch to me. My reservation is still showing Dynamic Dining as of now.

My res still shows DD for our June 13th Oasis cruise. Just got off the phone with C&A and the representative confirmed that our sailing will not have DD. Obviously take it with a grain of salt since a timeframe hasn't been officially detailed online but it looks as if you wouldn't have DD if what she said was true.

My main question as a May '15 Oasis cruiser is when we'll be able to re-elect our traditional dining options (early, late, MTD). Like the rest of you who have posted so far, my reservation currently still shows DD. I will want to get my large party of 10 into traditional late, which is our usual preference.

I for one am disappointed about not having DD on Oasis in May, but will be sailing on Anthem for 12 nights in November so I guess I'll just have to wait to try it then!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If you click on Dining Options and then click on Complementary dining, the Main Dining Room (with a full description) is about halfway down in the righthand column, and My TimeDining (with a full description) is about the same place in the next column over.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't think that means anything because it just lists all available dining on every ship. If you were to choose for example Liberty of the Seas and clicked dining options and the complimentary dining tab you would see the same options.

While on the Freedom the week of Dec 7th, the Captain told guess that the 24 day drydock also included the transforming of the main dinning room into dynamic dinning by installing flooring between the three. In nov the corporate office inform Freedom that this would not take place and dinning would remain the same. I think Royal can read the handwriting on the wall.

Bob & Nancy The Villages Florida

I'm a little confused about your post. You said that a couple of weeks ago on FR, the captain said DD is coming and the MDR would be modified (i.e. installing flooring etc.) But you contradict this with the corporate office informing FR that DD will not be instituted following modifications done during January drydock?

Which is true? My information from other sources has been that RCI considered instituting DD on Freedom but is not doing it.

I'm wondering if this DD change maybe has something to do with the changes that recently happened in the top executive offices.

I was wondering the same thing. This postponement could just be because the new CEO wanted time to review and understand the concept before implementing further.

There is also the option that there are far more complaints and cancellations because of DD then has been shown even here and that has made Royal want to stop for a while to figure out what the problem is and try to fix it before going any further. They probably should have done that anyway, pilot DD on Quantum for a year before expanding. No reason they can't upgrade the dining rooms in preparation but don't implement until they have a solid product.

Another possible reason, which I haven't really seen posted here or anywhere else is the impact of DD on the wait staff. Are they loosing tip money with DD? Even if everyone keeps the tips, I'm sure they aren't making nearly as much in extra tips as they did with traditional. And those that do remove the tips (I'm sure there are some) how many are not tipping the waiters at all? Is there a chance that their top waiters, who were chosen for the Quantum are asking to be moved to non DD ships or threatening to leave Royal and go to other cruise lines (I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for a top waiter to get a job elsewhere). I suspect if Royal is faced with a high turnover of wait staff that it will make DD even that much hard to run smoothly. Just speculation based on some comments I've read that the waiters aren't happy with DD.

The real reason for the postponement may be known when/if Royal issues a press release with a new date when Oasis/Allure will get DD.

One question for those who have been on Quantum would it be easy to convert Anthem to traditional/MTD (or all my time dining)? I assume that would be possible, if easily done, since Anthem is still under construction.

I was wondering the same thing. This postponement could just be because the new CEO wanted time to review and understand the concept before implementing further.

There is also the option that there are far more complaints and cancellations because of DD then has been shown even here and that has made Royal want to stop for a while to figure out what the problem is and try to fix it before going any further. They probably should have done that anyway, pilot DD on Quantum for a year before expanding. No reason they can't upgrade the dining rooms in preparation but don't implement until they have a solid product.

Another possible reason, which I haven't really seen posted here or anywhere else is the impact of DD on the wait staff. Are they loosing tip money with DD? Even if everyone keeps the tips, I'm sure they aren't making nearly as much in extra tips as they did with traditional. And those that do remove the tips (I'm sure there are some) how many are not tipping the waiters at all? Is there a chance that their top waiters, who were chosen for the Quantum are asking to be moved to non DD ships or threatening to leave Royal and go to other cruise lines (I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for a top waiter to get a job elsewhere). I suspect if Royal is faced with a high turnover of wait staff that it will make DD even that much hard to run smoothly. Just speculation based on some comments I've read that the waiters aren't happy with DD.

The real reason for the postponement may be known when/if Royal issues a press release with a new date when Oasis/Allure will get DD.

One question for those who have been on Quantum would it be easy to convert Anthem to traditional/MTD (or all my time dining)? I assume that would be possible, if easily done, since Anthem is still under construction.

I have not been on Quantum, but I doubt they will change the Anthem.

However, if they did, I guess they could just have multiple smaller MDR's all decorated similarly.

Does anyone have pictures of what the dining venues look like on Oasis since it has been refitted? I'm really not sure that I have a good image of what they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were photos posted on one of the Oasis threads.

Looks the same we thought on our Oct TA, just different decor and new chairs or a bench seating for each one etc.

Edited by CVU