Dynamic Dining postponed for Oasis & Allure

brfan

This has not been announced officially.

Indeed. And I find it unlikely to be the "solution" to DD (though possibly an option within DD).

Rotational dining still depends on fixed-time dining, so can only really be applied as a variation to Traditional dining. This will likely not only be distasteful to the numbers that like flexible time dining, it will tax the resources on ships depending on flexible dining times.

However, I can see an option within DD where you can reserve one of two fixed time slots (at the "traditional" times) and would rotate between the four larger venues. This might satisfy the traditionalists.

Vicki Freed is RCCL SVP Sales & Trade Support and she said it on a special 2 night sailing for Travel Agents on Freedom of the Seas.

Do you have the actual quote or printed release, or possibly are we already a couple of rounds into the game of telephone?

They are not killing DD, they are going to fix it and then bring it out on Oasis & Allure.

There's lots of conflicting information at the moment, as to whether its just delayed or dead for Oasis/Allure - and if delayed, just how long that delay will be.

Wow just read ...DD is out :eek:...Rotational Dining will be coming in -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45455007#post45455007

As I just said... :D

And so now we know DD is not dead... it has a little brother instead...DD Classic...with this option you have the same waiter and assistant waiter and table number and you can rotate through the 4 dining rooms.

But that is starting on Anthem, no flipping announcement about what the hecky thump Oasis or Allure will have. :(

There is a video of the Q&A where this was discussed.

Actually, it was said that something akin to rotational dining will be allowed as an option within DD. DD is not going away. It's only being slightly modified. Evidently, those who like Traditional Dining will be allowed to book a dining time and they will rotate through the four dining rooms along with their tablemates and waitstaff. Details to follow.

And so now we know DD is not dead... it has a little brother instead...DD Classic...with this option you have the same waiter and assistant waiter and table number and you can rotate through the 4 dining rooms.

But that is starting on Anthem, no flipping announcement about what the hecky thump Oasis or Allure will have. :(

Guess we'll just have to all wait patiently and see what happens to Oasis and Allure. Perhaps they'll test the Rotational on Anthem and see how it goes and then decide from there?

One thing though...from experiencing Rotational on Disney before, isn't it basically the same as Traditional...where the menu changes each night but you are told what dining room to go to and rotate through them within the week? A set time is more difficult on these Oasis class ships where there is not just one evening show with a static time.

Guess we'll just have to all wait patiently and see what happens to Oasis and Allure. Perhaps they'll test the Rotational on Anthem and see how it goes and then decide from there?

One thing though...from experiencing Rotational on Disney before, isn't it basically the same as Traditional...where the menu changes each night but you are told what dining room to go to and rotate through them within the week? A set time is more difficult on these Oasis class ships where there is not just one evening show with a static time.

Yes, it is very similar to Traditional. And that's exactly why they came up with this option...to please those who like traditional dining. Just to be clear, this new idea is an OPTION within the already existing DD.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Can anyone explain how Dynamic Dining differs from My Time Dining.We have sailed on Royal Caribbean with MTD before but not DD

In a nutshell you know MTD, where you dine in the regular dining room with the same menu as everyone else, but you can choose which time to dine.

With DD (not counting the new "Classic" option), you have the same flexibility of dining time, but you may also choose from some number of themed venues with a menu that is designed for that venue (e.g. eclectic, Asian, American Comfort Foods). The menu in the venue may or may not change during the course of the cruise (at one time there was in indication it would change once in the week on Oasis, but now that this is all sort of, well, dynamic, we won't know till there is a formal release).

With the new "Classic" option (not formally released, but there is a video of comments from the RCI CEO Michael Bayley by which this description is based) there will be some type of an option of having a traditional time (e.g. 6:30) every night, and you would rotate your dining in each of the major venues with the same wait staff and the same table mates. Something akin to "Traditional" dining as it is on other ships. Again, this is not formally announced, but based on the comments would appear to operate as suggested.

Edited by 3dog

Thanks for that. DD sounds very much like Freestyle we had on NCL Epic.

It is somewhat of similar in that there is a variation of dining venues, but different in that there is not a MDR with a rotating menu but themed venues with fixed menus in the style of the theme without an up-charge for a specialty venue (e.g. Silk will serve complimentary Asian inspired dinners throughout the cruise). So more like merging of flexible dining with a specialty restaurant but in a larger venue.

In a nutshell you know MTD, where you dine in the regular dining room with the same menu as everyone else, but you can choose which time to dine.

With DD (not counting the new "Classic" option), you have the same flexibility of dining time, but you may also choose from some number of themed venues with a menu that is designed for that venue (e.g. eclectic, Asian, American Comfort Foods). The menu in the venue may or may not change during the course of the cruise (at one time there was in indication it would change once in the week on Oasis, but now that this is all sort of, well, dynamic, we won't know till there is a formal release).

With the new "Classic" option (not formally released, but there is a video of comments from the RCI CEO Michael Bayley by which this description is based) there will be some type of an option of having a traditional time (e.g. 6:30) every night, and you would rotate your dining in each of the major venues with the same wait staff and the same table mates. Something akin to "Traditional" dining as it is on other ships. Again, this is not formally announced, but based on the comments would appear to operate as suggested.

Michael Bayley said that Classic would be available for First Seating. He did not say anything about Second Seating but I hope it would available for Second Seating. I hope they have Classic as an option for Second Seating.

Michael Bayley said that Classic would be available for First Seating. He did not say anything about Second Seating but I hope it would available for Second Seating. I hope they have Classic as an option for Second Seating.

I believe they will. He said that guests will pick be able to pick the "former traditional type of dining". I think he just used early as an example, to show how the precess would work.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

[quote name='SherriZ366']Michael Bayley said that Classic would be available for First Seating. He did not say anything about Second Seating but I hope it would available for Second Seating. I hope they have Classic as an option for Second Seating.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, this is what he said. However, it was an impromptu comment to a question in a Q&A session, so it is possible that the actual implementation details will vary from the comment.

With the size of the venues on quantum/anthem being what they are how can they possibly alleviate lines by creating some fixed seating times? Seems like they are trying to get a bit of stagger to the settings but I have doubt as to it working with the small venues

My prediction is only an early dining classic option. I think doing a late one too might be problematic because of the space constraints. It's going to be a compromise. The ship isn't designed for classic dining, so retrofitting too much of the traditional format might throw things off too much. But we're all just speculating here for fun, so we'll see when they officially announce!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

[quote name='LMaxwell']With the size of the venues on quantum/anthem being what they are how can they possibly alleviate lines by creating some fixed seating times? Seems like they are trying to get a bit of stagger to the settings but I have doubt as to it working with the small venues[/QUOTE]

Purely speculative (as I am nowhere near the corporate discussion), but I believe it is more than just alleviating lines to get in the venue. By making sure there is a more even time distribution in the venue, the kitchen and serving staff are less likely to find themselves being idle early and/or late then swamped in the middle. It also removes some set of guests from being in that line at the peak time.

And it has the side effect of potentially satisfying vocal guests that have a strong preference to traditional dining.

[quote name='Dave85']My prediction is only an early dining classic option. I think doing a late one too might be problematic because of the space constraints. It's going to be a compromise. The ship isn't designed for classic dining, so retrofitting too much of the traditional format might throw things off too much. But we're all just speculating here for fun, so we'll see when they officially announce![/QUOTE]

If I were to guess (which is all I can do anyway), I would agree that this prediction would come to pass, as it frees the tables for flexible time dining whenever the "Classic" guests finish their dining, rather than holding the tables for a second seating.