Progressive check in

Tennant

I just received an email from princess regarding Progressive Check In for my jan 10 Ruby cruise. Being on the emerald deck they request that you do not arrive until 2:00pm. We usually arrive early and board around 11:30 or 12:00. If we stick to our normal schedule will we be allowed to board or will they force us to wait until 2:00pm. We are traveling with elite members who will be permitted board right away so we would strongly prefer not to wait until 2:00. Anyone with experience please advise. Thanks!!

Has anyone ever received a suggestion to arrive earlier, i.e., 11:30; 12:00; 12:30; 1pm? It seems that, regardless of which deck we are on, they always say 2pm.

I think Princess knows that longtime passengers tend to arrive early, and just sends out these notices hoping they can get newbies to arrive later to even out the crowds.

I am elite and normally turn up around the times given to me on the ticket or email. It means I can sleep in and hotel check out times are very generous so I can sit back and relax all morning or do some touring. I turn up to the ship at my allocated time and go straight on the ship without any dramas at all.

I have been on cruises where I have heard passengers have been severely delayed in the morning because everyone turns up at once and ignores the notice.

I was once asked about check-in at a Captains Circle party by the circle host and Captain doing the rounds. There were a lot of complaints about slow check-in. All I said was that I was very happy and turned up at my allocated time in the afternoon and was straight on the ship. They actually rewarded me some extras they had to give out.

As I said on boarding day I stay in my hotel till the last minute and if I arrive by a private chauffeur driven car I just ask to be driven around the city sights before arriving at the cruise terminal. After over a decade of cruising I never line up or join a queue for anything and take the relaxed approach. I spread my time out as much as I can.

I am elite and normally turn up around the times given to me on the ticket or email. It means I can sleep in and hotel check out times are very generous so I can sit back and relax all morning or do some touring. I turn up to the ship at my allocated time and go straight on the ship without any dramas at all.

I have been on cruises where I have heard passengers have been severely delayed in the morning because everyone turns up at once and ignores the notice.

I was once asked about check-in at a Captains Circle party by the circle host and Captain doing the rounds. There were a lot of complaints about slow check-in. All I said was that I was very happy and turned up at my allocated time in the afternoon and was straight on the ship. They actually rewarded me some extras they had to give out.

As I said on boarding day I stay in my hotel till the last minute and if I arrive by a private chauffeur driven car I just ask to be driven around the city sights before arriving at the cruise terminal. After over a decade of cruising I never line up or join a queue for anything and take the relaxed approach. I spread my time out as much as I can.

We're with you regarding arrival times. Even if our listed time is earlier, we still like to arrive well after the madhouse created by all those "experienced cruisers" has subsided.

A cruise is about relaxing and having a good time. Standing in line for hours is not our idea of doing that. Breezing through security, walking right up to the check-in desk and the best ... skipping the embarkation photos because the photographers have already packed up, is our idea of a relaxed embarkation.

Getting on board in time for the highly exalted and much acclaimed "first lunch in the main dining room" isn't worth the trouble either.

BTW, don't get me wrong here. It's completely understandable that those with limited or no control over their arrival times don't have this option.

Edited by beg3yrs

I have. The Dolphin deck instructions are to arrive between 12:30 and 1:30.

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. So it seems that those who are given instructions to arrive early and those who arrive at the earliest they can get to the terminal are those most likely to have to deal with the crowds.

They say there is nothing free in life, BUT getting on the ship as early as possible IS Free! Free to explore the ship, free to have a nice lunch, free to relax in the pool or jacquizzi, free to buy your coffee card or soda card, free to make your specialty dining reservations or MDR reservations, free to unpack early,free to take photos of empty public spaces, free to start your much deserved vacation early. Ignore the e-mail get to the ship early and ENJOY........ It's free!

Has anyone ever received a suggestion to arrive earlier, i.e., 11:30; 12:00; 12:30; 1pm? It seems that, regardless of which deck we are on, they always say 2pm.

Show up at 3 and miss all the hubbub ...buffet fights and wandering the decks for hours.

I show up now 2.5 hours prior to sailing, Bags are sent right to the room there is no wait, No crowds no fist pounders saying do you know who I am.

Have a nice lunch on shore and show up after the circus has ended....way better to start a cruise

We're with you regarding arrival times. Even if our listed time is earlier, we still like to arrive well after the madhouse created by all those "experienced cruisers" has subsided.

A cruise is about relaxing and having a good time. Standing in line for hours is not our idea of doing that. Breezing through security, walking right up to the check-in desk and the best ... skipping the embarkation photos because the photographers have already packed up, is our idea of a relaxed embarkation.

Getting on board in time for the highly exalted and much acclaimed "first lunch in the main dining room" isn't worth the trouble either.

BTW, don't get me wrong here. It's completely understandable that those with limited or no control over their arrival times don't have this option.

I totally agree. It is over a decade of cruising that has taught me its best to avoid the mad rush of people converging on the ship. I have done so many cruises I realise what a rush it is in the morning.

One difference with me is that I have to travel some distance to meet a ship and it always involves an overnight stay in a hotel before boarding the ship. If hotel check-out is as generous as 12pm then you can relax at a nice hotel prior to getting on the ship.

I always found my bags follow me straight onto the ship if I avoid the mad rush.

Following the recomendation of ticketing at 4:30 makes no sense.Hotels may kick you out at 11 and even if they don't, who wants to wait?Even worse, you

PAID for those hours you are missing! My next cruise is three days long, I'm not

Waiting to board at 4:30 ( my boarding group)I'll be there by 1:30( first group)

Plus, I'm platinum, why should I board last?

Following the recomendation of ticketing at 4:30 makes no sense.Hotels may kick you out at 11 and even if they don't, who wants to wait?Even worse, you

PAID for those hours you are missing! My next cruise is three days long, I'm not

Waiting to board at 4:30 ( my boarding group)I'll be there by 1:30( first group)

Plus, I'm platinum, why should I board last?

If you are platinum you should sit and wait your turn until all the elite people board. No platinum should ever board before an elite.:):):)

I totally agree. It is over a decade of cruising that has taught me its best to avoid the mad rush of people converging on the ship. I have done so many cruises I realise what a rush it is in the morning.

One difference with me is that I have to travel some distance to meet a ship and it always involves an overnight stay in a hotel before boarding the ship. If hotel check-out is as generous as 12pm then you can relax at a nice hotel prior to getting on the ship.

I always found my bags follow me straight onto the ship if I avoid the mad rush.

I also avoid the rush.....just get there early & carry our own bags on the ship. We have a leisurely lunch, unpack before muster & relax. After all what else can you possible squeeze in that morning.

Just got an email saying boarding won't start until 5:30, last boarding group will be 8:00pm, ship dparture time is 9:00pm.

Reason?

"Please be advised that during the current cruise there has been a slightly higher than expected number of cases of gastrointestinal illness among guests suspected to be caused by norovirus"

For a three day cruise, they have effectively taken away one day. No mention of any compensation.