Windjammer at dinner

bbiggar

First time cruiser with Royal and noticed this when looking at the descriptions of the Windjammer. Does this mean there is no buffet for dinner?

Windjammer Café

This seaside café offers buffet-style breakfasts and lunches. In the evenings, the café's casual atmosphere is complemented by a changing menu and restaurant-style service.

Windjammer for dinner is a Buffet, same as breakfast & lunch...not sure where they came up with that description, but you definately do not get waited on..."SOMETIMES" they will come around & offer to get your drinks or refills..but it's hit & miss...still WJ for dinner is calmer & quieter than lunch or breakfast..

You can wear pretty much anything but flip flops and shorts in the MDR at night. My husband and I have walked in with capris and khakis and nice tops when everyone else has been dressed in gowns. People look at us a little funny but it does not bother us.

"Half of a DINK and proud of it!."😜

Ya gotta love sales and marketing...

You say the glass is half empty, but Royal says that even though the glass is half full/empty you are getting more than your money's worth compared to buying a full glass. The full glass is less expensive because of the economies of producing a common standard version in big quantities, whereas the more expensive half full/empty glass represents much better value because it is more exclusive, better quality, very hard to come by, and greatly sought after. [emoji484]

So your saying my fancy embellished flip flops won't be allowed in the MDR?

They are not beach flip flops by any means.

From what I've read on other threads concerning the RCI dress code, it depends....

Some people report people being turned away at the MDR for not meeting the dress code, others report people in shorts and t-shirts being allowed in. Enforcement seems to be different from ship to ship. Click on the links at the top of the page for the ship you are on, and see if any of the threads specifically talk about dress code enforcement on your ship.

And just as FYI, I've never read a thread where anyone was not allowed in the MDR due to shoes....

...And just as FYI, I've never read a thread where anyone was not allowed in the MDR due to shoes....
Actually the one thing that I have seen consistently enforced in both the MDR and WJ is you have to have a shirt (ie something above the waist that covers something:rolleyes:) and you have to have footwear (ie no bare feet). I agree that further definition of those item depends... But you usually will be denied access "due to shoes" (or lack thereof) if you are totally without footwear.

So your saying my fancy embellished flip flops won't be allowed in the MDR?

They are not beach flip flops by any means.

No problem if you are wearing dress shorts and dress flip flops.

Actually the one thing that I have seen consistently enforced in both the MDR and WJ is you have to have a shirt (ie something above the waist that covers something:rolleyes:) and you have to have footwear (ie no bare feet). I agree that further definition of those item depends... But you usually will be denied access "due to shoes" (or lack thereof) if you are totally without footwear.

True - but those requirements usually have to do with health concerns, not dress code. "No shirt, no shoes, no service" is pretty universal...

True - but those requirements usually have to do with health concerns, not dress code. "No shirt, no shoes, no service" is pretty universal...
Agreed, but some years ago I was in bar in Northern Territory, Australia and their "No shirt, no shoes, no service" sign had an addendum "Does Not Apply to Women" - the walls were plastered with pictures to prove it:rolleyes: Not sure the Health Department would have approved, but not sure this place had EVER been inspected by the Health Department:D

Thom

Agreed, but some years ago I was in bar in Northern Territory, Australia and their "No shirt, no shoes, no service" sign had an addendum "Does Not Apply to Women" - the walls were plastered with pictures to prove it:rolleyes: Not sure the Health Department would have approved, but not sure this place had EVER been inspected by the Health Department:D

Thom

or - maybe the Health Department *did* inspect them - with much regularity...:)

Getting back to the original post, the few times we've dined in the Windjammer, it was much quieter experience than the MDR and very enjoyable. We still would rather be served but are less hesitant to skip the full dining experience.

Love the WJ for dinner. Most items served in the MDR that night can be found in the WJ. True-walk in and get a table. Dress as comfortable as you like and enjoy good food. You can have each course as fast or slow as you like.

With all the DD drama-as long as they still have a WJ- I'm good. You can keep all that reservations, waiting, table drama, complaining about who you do or don't sit with, dress code, menu, while I'm having dinner!!! ;)

Flip flops are plastic or rubber beach /pool things...very, very casual....Thonged sandals (plain or bejeweled) are shoes!!!!

I have heels with a thong strap...they are not flip-flops!

Edited by cb at sea

In our 5 RCI cruises we have yet to visit the WJ for dinner.

Have considered stopping in for a desert, after eating in the MDR and then going for a walk, because I am too full, but, always talk myself out of it.

Who knows, maybe next cruise I will walk faster and to the WJ.

sea Ya

As I recall, the old wooden sailing ships were referred to as Wind Jammers.

It was newer steel sailing ships at the tail end of the era of sail.*"Windjammer" comes from the English "to jam" because the sails were so large that they seemed to "jam" the wind.

Wiki says, "The windjammers were cargo ships designed for long voyages. They usually carried bulk cargo, such as lumber, guano, grain or ore from one continent to another, usually following the prevailing winds and circumnavigating the globe during their voyages." [emoji569]

Hmmm, large, laden, and going with the flow... [emoji487] [emoji488] [emoji490] [emoji492] [emoji509] [emoji514] [emoji513]

Aside from being a cool nautical word, I can't help but wonder if the buffet's name is a double entendre that those in the know chuckle about to this day. [emoji4]

**I ALWAYS wear fancy flip flops even with my "formal" pants suits~ never been turned away -

DH quite taking his tuxedo back in 2011 - took only sports coat and tie - stopped taking coat and tie in 2013 and now he takes nice button ups for dress 'pollos' for formal nights - never been turned away!

As I recall, the old wooden sailing ships were referred to as Wind Jammers.

I was referring to the description the OP posted from the RCL website ...not wondering about the origin of the restaraunt name...

Love the WJ for dinner. Most items served in the MDR that night can be found in the WJ. True-walk in and get a table. Dress as comfortable as you like and enjoy good food. You can have each course as fast or slow as you like.

I AGREE! We have been on atleast 11 cruises and have only ate at the MDR 1 time! We heard a young couple on our last cruise saying how much they liked the WJ they could get basically the same thing as they had in the MDR and didn't have to waste 1 to 2 hrs of their evening!

If you want waited on and served you better go to the MDR but if you don't have a problem getting your own try it out you can take as little or as much as you want and there is plenty of varieties to pick from!!

I AGREE! We have been on atleast 11 cruises and have only ate at the MDR 1 time! We heard a young couple on our last cruise saying how much they liked the WJ they could get basically the same thing as they had in the MDR and didn't have to waste 1 to 2 hrs of their evening!

If you want waited on and served you better go to the MDR but if you don't have a problem getting your own try it out you can take as little or as much as you want and there is plenty of varieties to pick from!!

.... and sometimes a better variety! :) made to order --- pasta, stir fry, crepes on different evenings.