Cancel due to medical emergency!

Just to clarify, I know the $100 pp fee is not a lot and will be totally willing to accept the loss of the $200 dollars. However, if there was a possibility to not lose that money, why wouldn't I want that? Just looking for my best options to deal with this.:)

IMHO, I think the cruise lines should only be able to "fine" customers for a reasonable cancelation only if they can't fill the room at a similar rate. The room will get filled on most itineraries. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around this so called fee. Only reason they get away with this is because we the consumers let them.

Just to clarify, I know the $100 pp fee is not a lot and will be totally willing to accept the loss of the $200 dollars. However, if there was a possibility to not lose that money, why wouldn't I want that? Just looking for my best options to deal with this.:)

Your best option though is to live your life and go on it. Has any doctor told you no to this request? With the right precautions it should be doable, especially since she started treatment on the 20th of December.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by sherilyn70

Holy crap, you are quibbling over $200 when they refunded after the drop dead date?! Don't be ungrateful. Just pay the $200 and don't complain. You got a very compassionate response.

And sincere best wishes to you and your wife. She will be in my good thoughts. I'll also visit your FB page.

Edited by Wheeling_family_of_3

IMHO, I think the cruise lines should only be able to "fine" customers for a reasonable cancelation only if they can't fill the room at a similar rate. The room will get filled on most itineraries. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around this so called fee. Only reason they get away with this is because we the consumers let them.

I want to apologize to the OP, Djdickman. I failed to acknowledge the calamity that has stricken his wife Carol who obviously is the most important person in his life. Sir my thoughts and prayers are with your wife and yourself.

I am sorry to hear about your wife's illness and I hope that they can treat her cancer and that she recovers. However, you did have the opportunity to purchase insurance and you chose not to buy that. If RCI gives you a break and lets you cancel w/o penalty or reschedule your cruise, why should anyone buy insurance? You buy insurance to cover you for losses that you hope will not occur. There are unfortunately lots of people who have very valid reasons to cancel a cruise but who also have not purchased insurance. If I owned the cruise line, I would not give you anything back or allow you to reschedule.

DON

I had not read this post before I made my response. I am absolutely incredulous that you would post this. Your wife has a potentially life threatening illness and you are worried about $200 when you should be worried about her well being. Shame! I sure hope that she never gets to read your posts. You best options are not to worry about the money but to worry about your wife.

DON

I had not read this post before I made my response. I am absolutely incredulous that you would post this. Your wife has a potentially life threatening illness and you are worried about $200 when you should be worried about her well being. Shame! I sure hope that she never gets to read your posts. You best options are not to worry about the money but to worry about your wife.

DON

A couple points to ponder...

No matter their immediate circumstances, people do not like to lose money if the don't have to.

At difficult times, some people focus temporarily on a smaller, more manageable item as a coping strategy. Others live their lives by focusing on one small item, check it off, move to next; one bite at a time works for them. Some others look at the big picture, etc. Rather than judge, perhaps we should embrace the variety of humanity in good times and bad.

Best wishes to the OP and his wife.

As quoted above, there are (nationally known) bank credit cards (with no annual fee) available that provide trip cancellation coverage for a situation such as yours. We use this credit card whenever booking a new cruise so that we are covered for illness or other incidents before the cruise begins. This way we are not paying the high premiums for pre-cruise issues and can make the decision whether we want to purchase medical coverage for our trip.

Would you please share which cards have this coverage?

A couple points to ponder...

No matter their immediate circumstances, people do not like to lose money if the don't have to.

At difficult times, some people focus temporarily on a smaller, more manageable item as a coping strategy. Others live their lives by focusing on one small item, check it off, move to next; one bite at a time works for them. Some others look at the big picture, etc. Rather than judge, perhaps we should embrace the variety of humanity in good times and bad.

Best wishes to the OP and his wife.

Well said!

When faced with a tragic situation we all respond differently. Focusing on a mere $200 may seem callous to some, but it is where your mind goes at these tough times. I lost my mother 2 weeks before a cruise. I did have insurance, so that wasn't the issue. But my initial reaction was "we can still make it." My wife pointed out how that just wasn't going to happen. It isn't that I wasn't devastated by the loss of my mother, it's just what the mind seems to do. We suddenly are overwhelmed by all that is happening and need to try and straighten things out. So the OP posted to find help. If he had not been faced with the tragic news, he likely would have researched his options on his own and simply forfeited the $200. I am sure that only losing $200 helps put his mind at ease. I'm glad CC could give him some settling news.

DON

I'd also like to add in addition to everyone who responded to Don...You do not know the OPs current Financial Position. Having no or inadequate insurance, low income or lost job that $200 could come in handy while their family battles the cancer.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app