Plug adaptors

emski83

Most basic appliances on 240VAC would likely still work fine even on 60Hz. Electronics would ververy likely either not work or sustain damage.

I agree, most modern electronics work fine on 50-60Hz. However, old electric clocks with 60Hz motors are notorously inaccurate on the ship.

I believe all the RCI ships have 60hz generators.

Aloha,

John

You are probably correct - the tech info about Vision , states this:

"Electricity is generated by four 15,520kVA units, which is transformed to 6,600V 60Hz, three phase mains"

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/vision-of-the-seas/

Edited by wieslaw

I'm probably going to make things more confused, but I highly recommend getting something like the Belkin 3-outlet mini travel swivel charger surge protector if you are going to have a lot of electronic devices to plug in. I'm not sure sure how it would convert, but maybe there is a similar device for switching between the two. You will want to have more than the 2 outlets in the cabin, and it's nice to be able to charge things in the USB ports.

Have a great cruise!!

Thanks I might see what the electronic shops sells.

Our cruise is in 2wks so it's too late to order anything online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...However, old electric clocks with 60Hz motors are notorously inaccurate on the ship.
...the tech info about Vision , states this:

"Electricity is generated by four 15,520kVA units, which is transformed to 6,600V 60Hz, three phase mains"

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/vision-of-the-seas/

Variations in power draws will affect generator rotatation slightly, and thus their frequency. Commercial power in developed countries is carefully monitored to compensate for this. The power in your house is not always precisely 60Hz (speaking for the US; not always precisely 50HZ if that is your standard), but adjustments are made to ensure that in the course of a day you get 60Hz*60seconds*60minutes*24hours = 5,184,000 cycles per day (4,320,000 cycles on 50 Hz). Ships and developing countries often have poor frequency regulation and compensation. When I started sailing I'd take an old electric clock and some days it would lose 10 minutes and some days it would gain 10 minutes - maybe if I hadn't adjusted the time every day it would have been correct over the course of a week:rolleyes:

Thom

• 1 month later...

Ok guys & gals I need some help, too. Last year while in Barcelona I invested in a flat iron with the European plug. I figured I had my bases covered for the next European cruise. However, I have now find out that the UK uses a different plug and voltage.

So my question is this, can I use an adapter on the Europe plug to the UK plug? I think Europe runs 220 and UK 230.

Thanks

Ok guys & gals I need some help, too. Last year while in Barcelona I invested in a flat iron with the European plug. I figured I had my bases covered for the next European cruise. However, I have now find out that the UK uses a different plug and voltage.

So my question is this, can I use an adapter on the Europe plug to the UK plug? I think Europe runs 220 and UK 230.

Thanks

If the voltage is the same (220/230 are the same for this purpose), then all you would need is an adaptor.

Thanks

You can, he voltage is the same for all intents and purposes, but the SHip has the European plugs not the UK ones, so it should plug straight in

Thanks. My concern is for our stay in London. So I am assuming I will need just an adapter in London, is that correct?

QUOTE=uksimonusa;45706764]You can, he voltage is the same for all intents and purposes, but the SHip has the European plugs not the UK ones, so it should plug straight in

Thanks. My concern is for our stay in London. So I am assuming I will need just an adapter in London, is that correct?

QUOTE=uksimonusa;45706764]You can, he voltage is the same for all intents and purposes, but the SHip has the European plugs not the UK ones, so it should plug straight in

Yes with a UK-Euro adapter you will be fine

Yes with a UK-Euro adapter you will be fine

To be precise they need a plug adapter that has European two sockets to UK three pin like the ones shown below. These actually will adapt either US or European two pins plug and can be used as long as the US plug apparatus is rated for 220/230V.

attachment.php?attachmentid=341179&d=1424637024

DSCF0025.jpg.73b56e2908944231706a639eb7ec3c3e.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Is this question based on taking a land trip in the UK?

If you are inquiring about a cruise, what cruise line are you going on? Since this is a RCI board, may I assume RCI? I think that all RCI ships no matter where they sail (from US, from UK, from continental EU, from Australia, etc) have both US and European sockets in the cabins. I don't think any RCI ship has UK sockets (I'm sure that if that is incorrect, someone will provide the correct info). Lines that are based in the UK may well have UK sockets (I would expect them to, but have no knowledge).

By "flat iron" are you referring to a hair tool? These are generally allowed, but flat iron can also mean a clothes iron which are banned by most ships as a fire hazard.

As others have said, modest variations in voltage (220 vs 240) should have minimal effect.

Thom

• 3 weeks later...

We are taking a TA from Harwich, UK. We are staying 3 days prior in London. So a combination of land and sea. So I can use my hair flat iron with a European plug along with the UK adapter for the apartment in London. Then on the ship I can plug it directly into the 230 outlet.

This is my 15th cruise so I am well aware of the clothing iron not being allowed, but thanks.

Prior

Is this question based on taking a land trip in the UK?

If you are inquiring about a cruise, what cruise line are you going on? Since this is a RCI board, may I assume RCI? I think that all RCI ships no matter where they sail (from US, from UK, from continental EU, from Australia, etc) have both US and European sockets in the cabins. I don't think any RCI ship has UK sockets (I'm sure that if that is incorrect, someone will provide the correct info). Lines that are based in the UK may well have UK sockets (I would expect them to, but have no knowledge).

By "flat iron" are you referring to a hair tool? These are generally allowed, but flat iron can also mean a clothes iron which are banned by most ships as a fire hazard.

As others have said, modest variations in voltage (220 vs 240) should have minimal effect.

Thom

we are taking a ta from harwich, uk. We are staying 3 days prior in london. So a combination of land and sea. So i can use my hair flat iron with a european plug along with the uk adapter for the apartment in london. Then on the ship i can plug it directly into the 230 outlet.

This is my 15th cruise so i am well aware of the clothing iron not being allowed, but thanks.

Prior

yes