Crown Princess still battling Norovirus

Pier Pressure 53

If they would stop pushing the alcohol based sanitizer people would actually wash their hands. This helps spread the virus because people think by using it they don't need to wash. Alcohol based sanitizers do nothing to kill virus'.

The problem with norovirus is that it is hard to study. Laboratories have a difficult time producing the virus in house for study, so the following is generalisations:

There seems to be some debate over how long it can last outside a host. On hard surfaces, it can be from several days to weeks! In a water source, we are talking months or even years.

Once you have had noro, your immune system has only a brief protection of perhaps a few months. Most likely the virus evolves in new ways to evade your immune system (like how we get a new flu strain each year).

Isn't it "odd" that the noro is all over cruise ships but is so "hard" for labs to reproduce?

You know why, right?

Testing. Gov't testing. Perfect "little" Petri is a cruise ship. Get to watch the virus evolve, see how it is spread, and witness how the infected spread.

Before you brand me as a conspiracy theorist nut case (which I can be at times) don't forget how the US Gov't did the same thing infecting subways in the 60s in NYC and Chicago.

Those programs didn't stop in 1966.

That's why Noro is so hard to "test" and so hard to "beat".

Tin foil hats are being handed out @ the door! :D;)

Edited by Viesczy

If they would stop pushing the alcohol based sanitizer people would actually wash their hands. This helps spread the virus because people think by using it they don't need to wash. Alcohol based sanitizers do nothing to kill virus'.

That is not entirely true, but it does matter what the percentage of alcohol in the sanitizer is in the product. The higher percentages of alcohol sanitizers do in fact kill Noro and many other viruses.

There are always those that won't regardless. :rolleyes:

Straight from the CDC....As a pediatric medical provider, we see Noro viruses in my office all the time....WASH hands.....that is truly the best thing to do....If you eat in a restaurant, you are just as much at risk, as eating on a cruise ship. I used to tell my patients the best way to pick up a dx, is to go shopping and use a cart.....and put your kid in it....I might add that you are contagious without symptoms for a short period of time.....so it is very easy for someone in to stay in LA, pick it up there while getting a bottle of wine, or in Walmarts....then boarding the ship....It is all over the world, and it isn't going away any time soon....It is miserable, but for most healthy people it is a yukky inconvenience made worse because it is on your vacation....However, for some with an immune problem or other types of health issues, it can be dangerous, and even deadly. If you are really have a reason to be concerned, do not travel in the winter months, when it is most prevalent...In the tropics, it is present all year round.......I am sailing on the Crown in a couple of weeks...She is a great ship, and I think that Captain Lawes runs a very tight ship....but illness is always a risk....Cruisers keep the medical staff very busy.

DIRECTLY FROM THE CDC.....

How contagious is norovirus?

Norovirus is a highly contagious virus. Anyone can get infected with norovirus and get sick. Also, you can get norovirus illness many times in your life. One reason for this is that there are many different types of noroviruses. Being infected with one type of norovirus may not protect you against other types.

Norovirus can be found in your stool (feces) even before you start feeling sick. The virus can stay in your stool for 2 weeks or more after you feel better.

You are most contagious

when you are sick with norovirus illness, and

during the first few days after you recover from norovirus illness.

You can become infected with norovirus by accidentally getting stool or vomit from infected people in your mouth. This usually happens by

Norovirus and food

Norovirus is the leading cause of illness and outbreaks from contaminated food in the United States. Most of these outbreaks occur in the food service settings like restaurants. Infected food workers are frequently the source of the outbreaks, often by touching ready-to-eat foods, such as raw fruits and vegetables, with their bare hands before serving them. However, any food served raw or handled after being cooked can get contaminated with norovirus.

Norovirus outbreaks can also occur from foods, such as oysters, fruits, and vegetables, that are contaminated at their source.

eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus,

touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus then putting your fingers in your mouth, or

having contact with someone who is infected with norovirus (for example, caring for or sharing food or eating utensils with someone with norovirus illness).

Norovirus can spread quickly in closed places like daycare centers, nursing homes, schools, and cruise ships. Most norovirus outbreaks happen from November to April in the United States.

Norovirus spreads very easily and quickly

It only takes a very small amount of norovirus particles (fewer than 100) to make

you sick.

People with norovirus illness shed billions of virus particles in their stool and vomit

and can easily infect others.

You are most contagious when you are sick with norovirus illness and during the

first 3 days after you recover.

Norovirus can stay on objects and surfaces and still infect people after days or weeks.

Norovirus can survive some disinfectants, making it hard to get rid of.

Edited by laughing husky
spelling

how long can Norovirus live on surfaces?

Are you immune if you've had it before?

6 weeks on surfaces

6 months in refrigerated food

indefinitely in frozen

in the ground? testing was stopped after 6 months and it was still viable

it mutates constantly, so no, you are not immune unless it's the one you just had

Sorry, are you sure that you wanted to know?:confused:

My opinion you can't teach ignorant. I had read somewhere once (not sure of it's accuracy, that using alcohol based sanitizers didn't do any better than running your hands under running water. Though I could be mistaken.

Isn't it "odd" that the noro is all over cruise ships but is so "hard" for labs to reproduce?

Lab doesn't need to reproduce it. Lot's of American's this year are mistaking what they claim are their flu like symptoms, or their creeping crud what in reality it might be is a form of noro (I think the pros label it as entrovirus.).

I still believe (as one who has been on ships that are under code red, and have talked to passengers after there bout of Noro) that wash your hands, don't eat out of common pots, try not to ride the elevators (those buttons have been pushed by everyone on the ship), and enjoy your cruise as much as possible!

Counting down the days!

My opinion you can't teach ignorant. I had read somewhere once (not sure of it's accuracy, that using alcohol based sanitizers didn't do any better than running your hands under running water. Though I could be mistaken.

Lab doesn't need to reproduce it. Lot's of American's this year are mistaking what they claim are their flu like symptoms, or their creeping crud what in reality it might be is a form of noro (I think the pros label it as entrovirus.).

I still believe (as one who has been on ships that are under code red, and have talked to passengers after there bout of Noro) that wash your hands, don't eat out of common pots, try not to ride the elevators (those buttons have been pushed by everyone on the ship), and enjoy your cruise as much as possible!

Counting down the days!

Actually it's the running water that cleans your hands. The soap only helps. It's a mechanical thing not a disinfecting thing.

As for elevator buttons, what experienced cruiser actually touches the button with their finger tip. I thought that was why God invented knuckles:p You forgot to mention shaking hands.......

That is not entirely true, but it does matter what the percentage of alcohol in the sanitizer is in the product. The higher percentages of alcohol sanitizers do in fact kill Noro and many other viruses.

Logic dictates that if I drink enough high alcohol content drinks and spill some on my hands, I will be fine.

JB

Edited by jbooth2099

With the percentages of Noro on the Crown compared to the other ships in the Princess Cruise Line being through the ceiling, I would think it would be obvious to Princess as it is to everyone else, the Noro is not being brought onto the Crown by passengers, but is rather a ship specific problem that just seems to not be going away.

Boarding on the Crown today was delayed 6 hours for another "deep cleaning", but isn't this like the 3rd or 4th "deep cleaning" she has had in the past 6 months???

There were issues with Noro on the Crown's 49 day South America itinerary back in Feb/Mar 2014. That was a tough run as we had a number of tours that were on our 'once in a lifetime' bucket list. Hearing the daily announcements from the captain (of which some could have been considered reprimands) was terrifying in that we feared we could get sick and miss those dream tours due to being quarantined and/or very sick. We took all the precautions needed and didn't get sick (thank goodness); but the fear of still getting sick sorta took away from the "relax, unwind and escape completely!" promise LOL .

Arriving in Los Angeles in April 2014, the ship did a deep clean. We felt bad for the folks embarking as they had a long delay. A few weeks later the ship made the news with 100+ passengers sick with the Noro Virus by the time it finished ports of call in Santa Barbara, San Fran, and San Diego. This issue is more than six months old. I'm glad that through CC I could be updated and learn that the Noro Virus is still active as we considered taking a last minute "Drop and Go" cruise on the Crown next month. I think we'll pass.

....... Lot's of American's this year are mistaking what they claim are their flu like symptoms, or their creeping crud what in reality it might be is a form of noro (I think the pros label it as entrovirus.).

The flu is an upper respiratory infection that causes sore throat, chills, body aches, runny nose, and coughing. Norovirus is a gastrointestinal illness that causes diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea. http://www.boston.com/dailydose/2013/01/10/the-flu-norovirus-how-tell-the-difference/hGITbaArt1D2Fs3IuEeM5J/story.html

Straight 70% alcohol gel available to consumers kills like 7% of Norovirus load on fingertips. That's essentially useless.

That's why Gojo is selling Cruise-Ship-Strength Purell (aka VF481), which has a 99.99 or 99.999% kill (citric acid and copper gluconate are the secret ingredients). So part of the problem is people not using the provided "boosted" stuff and using the cute little keychain bottle they got at CVS.

Washing hands is the gold standard, and I use a chlorhexidine healthcare hand wash onboard, but I also use the Purell any time I walk by a dispenser.

Logic dictates that if I drink enough high alcohol content drinks and spill some on my hands, I will be fine.

JB

If it was Bacardi 151 you would be correct. The threshold for the alcohol based sanitizers to kill noro and other virii is in the 71%+ range.

Will the Norovirus on the Crown ever go away? Critter Chick disembarked the Crown earlier today and posted the below message. This is also on top of those sailing the Crown today, not being allowed to board until 6:00pm at the earliest today. Hasn't the Crown been battling the Norovirus issue since last spring????

This ship truly seems to have issues, and I am seriously contemplating cancelling my March cruise on her.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Today, 11:49 AM

20,000+ Club Join Date: Jul 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are just off the ship. There were no more than 15 people under confinement at any given time (according to the Captain, who bombarded us with vomiting/diarrhea reports daily at lunchtime), but I bet that there were

a ton of unreported cases. I'm sorry to report that the ship is a mess. No self service all week, lines like I've never seen at all of the food venues and people coughing and hacking up a storm. I suspect that they are short of crew, whether due to illness or bad staffing.

We were scheduled to disembark at 9:45 and left shortly after 11. It was a cluster**** of monumental proportions; there were at least 25 groups after us.

My recommendation: room service for breakfast and lunch and either traditional dining or specialties for dinner (both are sublime). And touch NOTHING that you can avoid - Good luck!

-Jean>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

For people that did not get off the ship until 11 that does not leave much time to get to the airport if you have a 12:00 flight. I have never experienced a delay in disembarkation and will be sailing on the Grand in February 17. Do you know if there were people that missed their flights.

thankyou

Arlene

Will the Norovirus on the Crown ever go away? Critter Chick disembarked the Crown earlier today and posted the below message. This is also on top of those sailing the Crown today, not being allowed to board until 6:00pm at the earliest today. Hasn't the Crown been battling the Norovirus issue since last spring????

This ship truly seems to have issues, and I am seriously contemplating cancelling my March cruise on her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are just off the ship. There were no more than 15 people under confinement at any given time (according to the Captain, who bombarded us with vomiting/diarrhea reports daily at lunchtime), but I bet that there were

a ton of unreported cases. I'm sorry to report that the ship is a mess. No self service all week, lines like I've never seen at all of the food venues and people coughing and hacking up a storm. I suspect that they are short of crew, whether due to illness or bad staffing.

We were scheduled to disembark at 9:45 and left shortly after 11. It was a cluster**** of monumental proportions; there were at least 25 groups after us.

My recommendation: room service for breakfast and lunch and either traditional dining or specialties for dinner (both are sublime). And touch NOTHING that you can avoid - Good luck!

-Jean>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Q: What does coughing and hacking have to do with norovirus?

A: NOTHING

For people that did not get off the ship until 11 that does not leave much time to get to the airport if you have a 12:00 flight. I have never experienced a delay in disembarkation and will be sailing on the Grand in February 17. Do you know if there were people that missed their flights.

thankyou

Arlene

I do not know. There was a group of tags for people with flights before noon (perhaps it was 1:00), and I think they were off the ship by 10:00, which is still far too close for comfort for me. If I had a noon or earlier flight, I would have done walk-off.

I wasn't talking about Noro - I was talking about the ship being a mess. I should have started a new paragraph to be clearer.

The problem is that long lines due to code reds for Noro puts pax in close proximity for extended periods. Their coughing and hacking could be spreading flu and other viruses besides Noro. Princess should look into ways to move lines along during code reds--perhaps preplated meals in the HC or box lunches by the pool?

We are booked for a cruise onboard the Crown at the end of February and at first I wasn't too concerned about the virus. But now as I read more and more posts about the lineups and problems by pax who have recently sailed her, I am becoming more and more troubled. If I were to cancel the cruise, would I be able to receive a credit for a future sailing? I see a similar itinerary March 21st on the Ruby for a similar price. Unfortunately having already booked and paid for our flights, we would have to pay a penalty for the flight change. Would Princess step in and save the day? Anybody have any similar experiences? Tks.

We are booked for a cruise onboard the Crown at the end of February and at first I wasn't too concerned about the virus. But now as I read more and more posts about the lineups and problems by pax who have recently sailed her, I am becoming more and more troubled. If I were to cancel the cruise, would I be able to receive a credit for a future sailing? I see a similar itinerary March 21st on the Ruby for a similar price. Unfortunately having already booked and paid for our flights, we would have to pay a penalty for the flight change. Would Princess step in and save the day? Anybody have any similar experiences? Tks.

I think you would only get a refund or future cruise credit if you have insurance that covers cancellation for any reason. Having said that, you may as well ask - all they can say is no.

Do you have insurance? If yes and it's the platinum insurance, then, yes, you can cancel for any reason. If not, you'd have to pay a penalty fee.

It's only a 3 day cruise we're currently sailing on the Crown but there are no reports of norovirus. Hopefully passengers infected with it won't bring it onboard but it can happen anywhere. Once we were on a month long cruise with nearly 200 cases (passengers & crew) of norovirus reported & hyped by the press as the "noro cruise". Nearly 3,000 of us didn't get sick & we don't worry about norovirus hysteria. For those who do worry then the only way to completely avoid it on any ship is to not sail at this time of the year when sickness is more prevalent. I'd also suggest to not sail the Caribbean during the hurricane season for those who are concerned about things that could go wrong.

Hate seeing posts like this....seems that this damn noro is making people cruise from a "bunker" ...this is supposed to be fun and relaxing

-Jean>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When I called Princess with questions about the virus, they assured me that the ship has been thoroughly cleaned. And yet I see all of these negative posts from pax just recently off the ship. Unfortunately I did not have the foresight to take the insurance and, unless I want to loose 50% of my fare, I will be taking the cruise. They would not even consider a future cruise credit. I don't sail until February 21st, here's hoping things calm down. I wonder if others with future sailings have canceled.

THE FACTS (from the CDC web site)

As public health officials struggle to contain a series of viral outbreaks this winter, many people are reaching for bottles of hand sanitizer.

Studies show that alcohol-based sanitizers, particularly those with 60 percent ethanol or more, can reduce microbial counts on contaminated hands and reduce the spread of some strains of the flu. But against norovirus, the severe gastrointestinal illness gripping many parts of the country, they may be useless.

Some viruses, like influenza, are coated in lipids, “envelopes” that alcohol can rupture. But non-enveloped viruses, like norovirus, are generally not affected.

Bleach is effective against norovirus, and can be used to decontaminate countertops and surfaces. And for people, the best strategy may be washing hands with plain old soap and water.

In 2011, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studied 91 long-term care facilities. During the winter of 2006-07, they identified 73 outbreaks, 29 of which were confirmed to be norovirus.

The facilities where staff members used alcohol-based sanitizers, were six times more likely to have an outbreak of norovirus than the facilities where the staff preferred using soap and water.

The C.D.C. says that as a means of preventing norovirus infection, alcohol-based sanitizers can be used “in addition” to hand washing, never as a substitute.

Edited by cruzsnooze