Statendam Main deck forward inside cabin L529

mouseterd1

Can anyone give me any perspective on booking main deck cabin L529 (inside cabin) or their experience from a cabin close by....noise, heavy seas, etc. We are not prone to motion sickness, however, have never booked an inside forward cabin before on any cruise. But we obtained a pretty good price on a 60 night cruise.

We've done inside, view and balcony cabins, but never forward on a smaller ship.

Also what shape is the Statendam in? I've read some of the reviews and I must say I have doubts and questions. Having never cruised HAL before, I worry about the quality of entertainment and activities. We are early 60's and active.

Any insights that you wish to bring forward would be appreciated. Our cruise would be to the South Pacific and the Pacific coast - CA to Lima, Peru.

Thank you !!! :)

The very forward cabins on Main report noise from below when coming into port/docking. The TWO reviews of K535 and K536 (which are very close to L529, closer than the front of the ship) both report QUIET LOCATION. Scroll down, here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/cabinguru/deckplanreviews.cfm?ShipID=269&category=K

Sounds like a GO to me.

I haven't been on the Statendam in four-and-a-half (or is it five-and-a-half) years, so I can't comment on your other questions. At that time, we loved her!

The very forward cabins on Main report noise from below when coming into port/docking. The TWO reviews of K535 and K536 (which are very close to L529, closer than the front of the ship) both report QUIET LOCATION. Scroll down, here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/cabinguru/deckplanreviews.cfm?ShipID=269&category=K

Sounds like a GO to me.

I haven't been on the Statendam in four-and-a-half (or is it five-and-a-half) years, so I can't comment on your other questions. At that time, we loved her!

We don't have pics of 529 on halfacts (yet) but we do have 535 on the Maasdam and several other insides close by if the OP wants to take a look.

for the OP, the Maasdam is a sister ship so the cabins should be the same.

If you go to halfacts.com and click on the S class ships you will see the cabins you can choose to look at. HALFacts is a website created by cruise critic members and contributed to by cruise critic members who have been on the ships. (the link is in my signature).

hope this helps a bit

The reason this cabin is an "L" category, and not something higher, is due to the location. It is the same "large inside" size and configuration as most of the insides.

It is a tad far forward, but not bad. I have stayed in nearby cabin K-549 on a couple of the S-class ships and was very happy with the location.

It will be fairly quiet there, as there are passenger decks above and below, as well as little traffic. The only reason to be heading down that passageway is because you are booked there.

It's a short hop to the elevators/staircases, and there is no backtracking as there would be aft of the forward elevators.

I could be happy in that cabin for 60 days.

We had an OV just down the hall a few years ago and noticed that the hotel director had his adult child and spouse along with a couple grandkids in K549 which is a couple doors down from your referenced cabin. When the door was open and we walked by the cabin looked huge. You might inquire about that one as it was good enough for the hotel director!

Statendam used to be our favorite ship and the staff has always been great but it just seems worn out mechanically.

Gary

We had an OV just down the hall a few years ago and noticed that the hotel director had his adult child and spouse along with a couple grandkids in K549 which is a couple doors down from your referenced cabin. When the door was open and we walked by the cabin looked huge.

It is. :D There are a few (very few) of these "sideways" cabins on the S- and R-class ships. They are wonderful! (they do have a couple of negatives, but nothing major.)

OP: we've been in that area, inside a couple of cruises. It is fine, not noisy, very close to the stairs/elevators.

Personally I would choose an aft cabin rather (Ks) because there is less motion.

In seas with a lot of pitch you would feel less aft than forward.

We've sailed the Statendam perhaps 100 days in the past 2-3 years and note it has its share of problem. They seem to be settling down lately, however!