Sirena - New Addition to Fleet

Carol From California

Her highly-anticipated launch season will be released in late February 2015 with reservations opening on March 4, 2015.

Here is hoping she will cruise around Japanese Islands - would much prefer her to the Diamond Princess doing that unique itinerary.

I know it is not a cruise, but I went on a great land tour in Japan last year. It was great having several days in Kyoto, Tokyo, and Hiroshima, as well as overnight stays in a few other places. If O does a Japan cruise, hopefully there will be some multi- day stays.

It may be "old news" that the ship was acquired by Oceania but it was just posted TODAY on their website. :)

Thanks for the link to the new post Carol - exciting to speculate about itineraries. Another vote here for dedicated Japan itineraries as Paulchili first suggested and others seconded.... Recently did an eighteen days Diamond Princess cruise round Japan. Our third time in this beautiful and safe country – which is also very easy to see independently by train (pre or post cruise). Some interesting, smaller and less-visited ports on this cruise. Our itinerary was also sold as two nine day cruises, with each required to visit a non-Japanese port (Jeju, South Korea and Korsakov, Russia). So a lengthy immigration procedure ensued when leaving and re-entering Japan (fingerprints, photos), given the size of Diamond (2,670 passengers and 1,100 crew). If Oceania were to introduce round Japan cruises with the new Sirena the immigration procedure would certainly be less painful.

This is a growing market; I am sure Oceania has realised it. Princess has invested a lot of money in courting Japanese cruisers, even to the addition of a Japanese-style spa bath on board and other changes. Actually, on our cruise there were more Australians than any other nationality, though apparently not so on every sailing. We are only a small slice of the cruise market; Japan appeals to those of us who have already seen more than enough of Pacific islands, NZ, or even Thailand, Vietnam etc. Also on our cruise there were many passengers from neighbouring SE Asian countries. Since the Asian cruising market is growing rapidly - maybe Oceania might capture those new cruisers, from Japan and elsewhere, who would prefer the small ship experience cruising round Japan's islands.

I know it is not a cruise, but I went on a great land tour in Japan last year. It was great having several days in Kyoto, Tokyo, and Hiroshima, as well as overnight stays in a few other places. If O does a Japan cruise, hopefully there will be some multi- day stays.

It is true that land tours are usually more detailed than cruises. However, having done a few land visits to Japan before, I would like a cruise around Japan, visiting some of the more out of main stream places (as mentioned above by Emma Chisit; also see Diamond Princess 17 day Grand Japan itinerary for July). At this point in our lives (and travels), cruises are MUCH easier than planes, trains and automobiles, even when they are bullet trains and are provided by a tour company :D

Edited by Paulchili

• 2 months later...
Yes she is R-4 -- formerly Ocean Princess/Tahitian Princess. See picture in post 3. Riviera alongside of the Ocean Princess

We have cruised on her several times in the past - both as the Tahitian but mostly as the Ocean Princess. Hopefully we'll complete the circle by cruising on her as the Sirena (if she ever gets out of the Med :D)

Yes she is R-4 -- formerly Ocean Princess/Tahitian Princess. See picture in post 3. Riviera alongside of the Ocean Princess

Loved our world cruise on the Tahitian. We look forward to another cruise on (any) R-ship.