a couple of quick silhouette questions

vizgal

Hi! Heading out on our 2nd X cruise on 1/25. Pretty excited and have a few simple questions. Thanks in advance!

1. We are in aqua class (first time) - it is true that we can take the bottle of sparking wine down to the dining room on the first night and trade it in for a bottle of red?

2. Also, is is true that aqua class passengers get a 50% off speciality dining coupon in thier cabin for the first night?

3. Last but not least, we have never purchased wifi/internet package on the ship. We will be leaving our young daughter with my in-laws and want to check in with them via texts, emails, and facetime. If we purchase the wifi package - can we just fire up our iphones and check texts or facetime? Is the wifi reliable? Or is it best to head down to the computer room and check email?

Best!

1. Many report success with this. A few have said they were turned down.

2. We have seen this before but not on our last several cruises in Aqua.

3. I don't think you'll find the internet to be substantially better in the lounge. It's slow and unreliable and I doubt it will maintain a consistent facetime video connection.

Hi! Heading out on our 2nd X cruise on 1/25. Pretty excited and have a few simple questions. Thanks in advance!

1. We are in aqua class (first time) - it is true that we can take the bottle of sparking wine down to the dining room on the first night and trade it in for a bottle of red?

2. Also, is is true that aqua class passengers get a 50% off speciality dining coupon in thier cabin for the first night?

3. Last but not least, we have never purchased wifi/internet package on the ship. We will be leaving our young daughter with my in-laws and want to check in with them via texts, emails, and facetime. If we purchase the wifi package - can we just fire up our iphones and check texts or facetime? Is the wifi reliable? Or is it best to head down to the computer room and check email?

Best!

1. I've been able to exchange the sparkling wine. Might depend on who you ask. They try to please you.

2. I've been in AQ more than 25 times and never saw a first night coupon. They sometimes offer a special the first night if sales are slow, but it's not guaranteed. Look for specials during the week.

3. You cannot use FaceTime or Skype on the ship. Go to a hot spot on land. WiFi can be very slow, or may not work at all. I usually bring an IPad mini to check emails and send text.

When we boarded Silhouette, we received a robo call (no coupon) from the Blu Maitre'D offering 50% off for the first night in a specialty restaurant. They wanted to eliminate the first night hassle.

I would never pay $45pp for a specialty restaurant unless I had substantial OBC, but we took advantage of the $45 per couple and made a reservation for the Lawn Club Grill. It's our favorite specialty restaurant as you can dine in shorts & sandals.

I have been able to use my iPad in my room, or by the pool for that matter, to check emails while on the silhouette. FaceTime as mentioned is not a possibility.

The speed is very slow and you will use up your minutes faster than you can imagine. My technique is to log on and download all my messages and then log off. Then I compose replies to all those needing replies, and log back on to send. It is imperative that you follow the directions for logging off because just turning off your computer will not do that and you can use up all your minutes very quickly.

I have gotten meals at Qsine aboard silhouette every time we've sailed at 50% off. Also for large groups up to 18 people. It depends on the sailing and how many bookings they have. It doesn't hurt to ask! If you see them actively recruiting diners, that's the time to strike. They will often set up a table outside the main dining room during breakfast hours trying to get people to sign up

The first night discount I believe is on reflection only because Blu is too small for the number of diners they have to accommodate.

Best!

Our TA sent us a bottle of white zinfandel which we don't drink. It NEVER occurred to me to try and exchange it! We just left it in the room when we left.

The wifi is extremely sketchy. On our sailing, we didn't get a travel package from our provider, just because of the ports of call, we would have had to buy two packages, and the itinerary had 2 days at sea, 3 ports, 2 days at sea. We figured we were better off with celebrity wifi. I could never get a strong enough connection to pull down mail or even check web mail. Next time, i will buy a cellular data package. Look at your ports to see if there is a starbucks in port, you can always find free wifi there!

Just a note in case you enjoy a great filet mignon....this is on the menu for the first night in Aqua Class, and in my experience in Blu, it is excellent. We would never go to a specialty restaurant on the first night as we enjoy the filet very much. It is equivalent in quality (or better) than the filet that is served in Murano (chateaubriand) or the Lawn Club Grill.

We have been in Aqua Class on the Silhouette twice, and one time we received a letter offering the first night discount and one time we received a phone call.

As CathyCruises said, if the maître d's are set up outside the MDR or the buffet restaurant, you might find that they are very open to negotiating a discount with you for the specialty restaurant of your choice. Just tell them that you are not able to take advantage of the discount offered to you on the first night, but that you would enjoy trying _____ on another evening.

Edited by elena7seas

I have been able to use my iPad in my room, or by the pool for that matter, to check emails while on the silhouette. FaceTime as mentioned is not a possibility.

The speed is very slow and you will use up your minutes faster than you can imagine. My technique is to log on and download all my messages and then log off. Then I compose replies to all those needing replies, and log back on to send. It is imperative that you follow the directions for logging off because just turning off your computer will not do that and you can use up all your minutes very quickly.

I have gotten meals at Qsine aboard silhouette every time we've sailed at 50% off. Also for large groups up to 18 people. It depends on the sailing and how many bookings they have. It doesn't hurt to ask! If you see them actively recruiting diners, that's the time to strike. They will often set up a table outside the main dining room during breakfast hours trying to get people to sign up

The first night discount I believe is on reflection only because Blu is too small for the number of diners they have to accommodate.

Hi Cathy, Happy New Year to you and yours!!

I have found that, ever since they did the last price hike in the specialty restaurant rates, we have always been offered discounts from 30% to 50% on every cruise (haven't made it on the Reflection yet). For our tastes, we find the food in Blu to be very good, and would never pay $50 for a specialty restaurant, but are happy to go for a somewhat lower fee, just for the change in pace.

Edited by elena7seas

Hi Cathy, Happy New Year to you and yours!!

I have found that, ever since they did the last price hike in the specialty restaurant rates, we have always been offered discounts from 30% to 50% on every cruise (haven't made it on the Reflection yet). For our tastes, we find the food in Blu to be very good, and would never pay $50 for a specialty restaurant, but are happy to go for a somewhat lower fee, just for the change in pace.

On Connie for 14 days and not a single discount was offered. I was "top cruiser" and had to book my comp dinner very quickly to get a table. Only could get last night at 6:00. PM.

I had to book by 2:00 pm on the first day. There are tendencies, but no guarantees. Every cruise is different.

When we boarded Silhouette, we received a robo call (no coupon) from the Blu Maitre'D offering 50% off for the first night in a specialty restaurant. They wanted to eliminate the first night hassle.

I would never pay $45pp for a specialty restaurant unless I had substantial OBC, but we took advantage of the $45 per couple and made a reservation for the Lawn Club Grill. It's our favorite specialty restaurant as you can dine in shorts & sandals.

Love the Lawn Club Grill too. Was that special of $45 per couple for the first night? Was it only for Aqua class? Will be on the Silhouette in March and can't wait;)

On Connie for 14 days and not a single discount was offered. I was "top cruiser" and had to book my comp dinner very quickly to get a table. Only could get last night at 6:00. PM.

I had to book by 2:00 pm on the first day. There are tendencies, but no guarantees. Every cruise is different.

Where was the cruise? We have had our luck on TA's. In fact, I just remembered last cruise it was one of our party's birthday, and about 20 of us went to Lawn Club Grill for 50% on the first night.

Where was the cruise? We have had our luck on TA's. In fact, I just remembered last cruise it was one of our party's birthday, and about 20 of us went to Lawn Club Grill for 50% on the first night.

It was the dec 3rd 5 day followed by the 9 day. Lots of Corporate people and larger groups on board. The Ocean Liners and Tuscan Grill were booked by these groups far in advance of the cruise. Very unusual situation.

Each Maître d is given a target number to reach prior to the cruise. If they appear short they may offer specials to boast their number. They have complete disgresson to alter the basic price. Some loyalty levels have built in discounts which will be honored. The highest coupon discount is for Zenith members at 25%. I generally receive 30-50% since I'm a frequent guest and know the staff. Heavy demand = lighter discount. Lower demand= heavier discount. Also one can go to special food presentations for discounts. Went to a Lawn Club presentation and walked away with a 50% discount.

Sailed last summer on the Infinity in Aqua and was offered 50% off only the first evening. There was a coupon in our cabin. Sailed this summer on Silhouette and was offered 50% off at one of the tables set up as you board and there was also a coupon in the cabin. Also on this cruise was offered 50% off on 2 other evenings during the cruise at the tables set up outside the Oceanview Cafe and outside the specialty restaurants. They were offered for early or late dining times and only on certain days.

Hi Charles:

yes, you are absolutely right, every cruise is different. I was just posting my experience.

On the Silhouette on October 4th, (my third cruise on Silhouette) I was in an inside cabin, sailing with friends who were in Concierge Class, and we were offered 50% discount for any specialty restaurant, for any day of our choice, by the maître d's who were stationed outside of the Buffet. We had a wonderful dinner in the Lawn Club Grill.

Happy New Year to you and Cyndee!

Love the Lawn Club Grill too. Was that special of $45 per couple for the first night? Was it only for Aqua class? Will be on the Silhouette in March and can't wait;)

I'm sure it was for AQ only. We sailed with a Suite couple who used it as their "free" specialty dining comp.

I'm sure it was for AQ only. We sailed with a Suite couple who used it as their "free" specialty dining comp.

My last cruise was in AQ and we did receive the discount offer for the first night. It was in the envelope with the letter regarding info on AQ that was in the cabin on the first day. I thought it odd and perhaps some did not know where it was.

My last cruise was in AQ and we did receive the discount offer for the first night. It was in the envelope with the letter regarding info on AQ that was in the cabin on the first day. I thought it odd and perhaps some did not know where it was.

They are most likely to offer discounts to AQ passengers on Reflection. The offers are for AQ only and are designed to help avoid overcrowding in Blu. The overcrowding problem is specific to Reflection.

Hi Charles:

yes, you are absolutely right, every cruise is different. I was just posting my experience.

On the Silhouette on October 4th, (my third cruise on Silhouette) I was in an inside cabin, sailing with friends who were in Concierge Class, and we were offered 50% discount for any specialty restaurant, for any day of our choice, by the maître d's who were stationed outside of the Buffet. We had a wonderful dinner in the Lawn Club Grill.

Happy New Year to you and Cyndee!

Hope to cruise again with you soon. Best wishes for a great year to you and yours.

They are most likely to offer discounts to AQ passengers on Reflection. The offers are for AQ only and are designed to help avoid overcrowding in Blu. The overcrowding problem is specific to Reflection.

The offers are not just for Aqua. We were in a suite on Reflection, dining in Aqua, and were offered 50% off to dine in the Tuscan Grille. This was on the last Formal night, not the first evening.

Looking forward to the new Suite dining room, it will hopefully eliminate the overcrowding in BLU.

The offers are not just for Aqua. We were in a suite on Reflection, dining in Aqua, and were offered 50% off to dine in the Tuscan Grille. This was on the last Formal night, not the first evening.

Looking forward to the new Suite dining room, it will hopefully eliminate the overcrowding in BLU.

As I've said many,many times: Offers vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise. A former RM, now a F&B Manager designed a program specific to Reflection to lessen the demand for Blu. Since Suite passengers may dine in Blu they have been included in some of the offers. On one of my TAs special offers were made almost every day at a different Specialty Restaurant to encourage people to skip Blu. They even offered a special price on a 5 night plan. Different cruises, different needs, different approaches, different offers designed to eliminate overcrowding in Blu or reach the target goal. Every guest might be included in an offer, or a particular guest segment might be included. It varies.

Edited by Orator