Star's Dry Dock in Portland, Oregon

calex

Ah was not aware of that, thought it was a satellite thing.

There is satellite AIS, but only governmental agencies get unlimited access to the feeds. The satellite "upgrades" that these sights tout are limited on getting satellite feeds to once a day, so they are really not worth the price unless you are tracking ocean crossing vessels on a daily basis.

Pamster:

Try this LINK: (you may have to zoom in or out a bit)

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-124.2631/centery:45.7741/zoom:8/mmsi:311082000/shipid:374130

Click and hold on the NCL STAR window and move to the left (further out to sea) to get a better clear picture.

Play around with it you will get it.

Right now appears to be a some 4-5 hours before reaching the California coast.

Thanks for the link!

Pamster:

Try this LINK: (you may have to zoom in or out a bit)

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-124.2631/centery:45.7741/zoom:8/mmsi:311082000/shipid:374130

Click and hold on the NCL STAR window and move to the left (further out to sea) to get a better clear picture.

Play around with it you will get it.

Right now appears to be a some 4-5 hours before reaching the California coast.

That's great!! Thanks.

Thanks chengkp. Since surface treatments are becoming so important, it seems that shipyards in warmer/dryer climates would have some advantage over places like the US Northwest, Northern Europe, etc.

This is why some of the larger newbuild yards use indoor drydocks, like MeyerWerft in Papenburg and Turku. With the requirements to meet EPA mandates in shipyards, the tarping of the ships while blasting and painting to prevent overspray is actually helping with paint, as you can then use heaters under the tarps. It's actually more important for the topsides paints, because snow and rain can stop coating of topsides, or reduce the effectiveness of the adhesion of the coating.

OK - just to stir up some mud and clear the air - whatever.

Greenwich Mean Time aka Zulu - UTC(Coordinated Universal Time) does not change with Daylight Savings Time

So if you are on the East Coast the ordinary difference is 5 hours non DST and 4 hours in DST

Your not there what about the Central time zone that is 6 hours Nada DST and 5 hours in DST

You like a Rocky Mountain High that is 7 hours nay DST and 6 hours in DST

OK - now the real biggie you are all concerned about the NCL STAR and the California Dreaming time - so that is 8 hours non DST and 7 hours in DST.

Alaska has its very own time zone - 9 hours non-DST and 8 hours in DST (Not that it matters much with daylight and darkness)

For those interested in Hawaii - the difference is always 10 hours as Hawaii does not do DST.

At this posting now entering the California coast line and leaving Oregon.

Passengers Ship

Bahamas

NORWEGIAN STAR

Flag:

Bahamas Ship Type:

Passengers Ship

Length × Breadth:

295m × 33m Draught:

8m

CALL SIGN:

C6FR3

IMO:

MMSI:

Received:

3 min ago

(AIS Source: 2335 KF7JCA)

Underway using Engine

Speed/Course:

22.7kn / 175°

Destination:

LOS ANGELES

ETA:

2015-03-17 11:00 (UTC)

OK - just to stir up some mud and clear the air - whatever.

Greenwich Mean Time aka Zulu - UTC(Coordinated Universal Time) does not change with Daylight Savings Time

So if you are on the East Coast the ordinary difference is 5 hours non DST and 4 hours in DST

Your not there what about the Central time zone that is 6 hours Nada DST and 5 hours in DST

You like a Rocky Mountain High that is 7 hours nay DST and 6 hours in DST

OK - now the real biggie you are all concerned about the NCL STAR and the California Dreaming time - so that is 8 hours non DST and 7 hours in DST.

Alaska has its very own time zone - 9 hours non-DST and 8 hours in DST (Not that it matters much with daylight and darkness)

For those interested in Hawaii - the difference is always 10 hours as Hawaii does not do DST.

LOL - thanks for this. Did seem that the spring change of springing forward would decrease the UTC, not increase it (as falling back would).

I understand the Norwegian Next program includes a few modifications that were to be made to the Star while in dry dock, like a new Mojito bar and a new pub, O'Sheehans. These were structurally very minor and will probably appear as new names for existing places on the deck plans.

Anyone have any idea when the NCL deck plans for the Star will be updated for the recently completed changes?

mea culpa. math not my best subject. adding vice subtacting leads to a two hour error. this is why my degree is in the soft sciences.

LOL as long as your arriving at the ship on time isn't dependent on your UTC to PDT conversion skills. ;-)

I understand the Norwegian Next program includes a few modifications that were to be made to the Star while in dry dock, like a new Mojito bar and a new pub, O'Sheehans. These were structurally very minor and will probably appear as new names for existing places on the deck plans.

Anyone have any idea when the NCL deck plans for the Star will be updated for the recently completed changes?

I have been wondering the same thing. Neither Blue Lagoon, nor O'Sheehans have been mentioned on the website for a long time.

Funny thing, I haven't made the 140 mile roundtrip to Portland in over two months and during the Star's dry dock, I was in Portland on three different days and I saw the Star each time. On Friday, I was on Amtrak heading to Washington and I saw the Star from the railroad bridge on the Willamette River Northwest of Vigor Industries.

April 12th will be a sad day for the Star supporters - it will be the last time the Star departs the West Coast. After she returns from her deployment to Copenhagen, she will be home ported in Tampa Bay, Florida on a Western Caribbean itinerary. Looks like the West Coast NCL family will officially need to adopt the Jewell.

PAMSTER, have fun on the Star on the Mexican Riviera. Your perspective of the work done will be particularly insightful since our Panama Canal cruise in November on the Star.

Chris

Thanks for the update. Will be boarding Star tomorrow.

My TA says Jewel is a nice ship. :)

Patti

Any ship that I am on, while I am on it, is a NICE SHIP. While onboard, if you dwell on the negative aspect of any ship, that attitude can be self-fulfilling and you will not enjoy the cruise experience at all. We have adopted the Costa Rican mind set of PURA VIDA!

Pura vida! Means that no matter what your current situation is, life for someone else can always be less fortunate than your own. So you need to consider that maybe...just maybe, your situation isn't all that bad and that no matter how little or how much you have in life, we are all here together and life is short...so start living it "pura vida style".

The Jewell is definitely a nice ship with the Spinnaker Lounge still on the bow of the 13th deck, the Great Outdoors dining area on the stern of deck 12, and a better layout of the Garden Café. I can't wait to sail on the Jewell again out of Los Angeles after she makes it her home port on October 4, 2015.

Edited by calex

Funny thing, I haven't made the 140 mile roundtrip to Portland in over two months and during the Star's dry dock, I was in Portland on three different days and I saw the Star each time. On Friday, I was on Amtrak heading to Washington and I saw the Star from the railroad bridge on the Willamette River Northwest of Vigor Industries.

April 12th will be a sad day for the Star supporters - it will be the last time the Star departs the West Coast. After she returns from her deployment to Copenhagen, she will be home ported in Tampa Bay, Florida on a Western Caribbean itinerary. Looks like the West Coast NCL family will officially need to adopt the Jewell.

PAMSTER, have fun on the Star on the Mexican Riviera. Your perspective of the work done will be particularly insightful since our Panama Canal cruise in November on the Star.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks, we will have fun!! I'm really looking forward to seeing what changes have been made - and trying out one of those Mojito's at Sugarcane.

I really like the Star. Will miss those Family Suites.

At this posting the NCL STAR is off the northern most of the Channel Islands and adjacent to Santa Barbara.

It appears to be planning a course that will have the Channel Islands on the starboard side and the continental coast on the port.

Speed has been reduced to 9.7 knots with some 125 miles to go - eta will be

easily in the early am or the 1100 UTC on schedule.

At this posting the NCL STAR is off the northern most of the Channel Islands and adjacent to Santa Barbara.

It appears to be planning a course that will have the Channel Islands on the starboard side and the continental coast on the port.

Speed has been reduced to 9.7 knots with some 125 miles to go - eta will be

easily in the early am or the 1100 UTC on schedule.

Thanks for the update. We are in San Pedro getting ready to walk to dinner. Tomorrow we finally see the Star!