Group on board

wandb

Not to worry! It's a wonderfully adventurous and educated group of people over the age of 55 who are generally active and enjoy learning, exploring and trying new things. Great program too!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You won't really notice them at all; they'll be in the Kings Room and Half Moon Room or whatever it's called. Maybe a function that closes part of the Crows Nest or a lounge every once in a while during the day but certainly nothing to really get much in the way of a good time.

They're not shutting off dining after 6:30 p.m. for sure! :)

You won't really notice them at all; they'll be in the Kings Room and Half Moon Room or whatever it's called. Maybe a function that closes part of the Crows Nest or a lounge every once in a while during the day but certainly nothing to really get much in the way of a good time.

No, but they seem to affect the early dining times!

I was the one who advised CJCruizer, for the group/charter thread, about the Road Scholar cruises after I googled the date of my upcoming cruise to try to find out which group might be responsible for booking 95% of the early fixed dining on the cruise.

Based on their itinerary for my cruise, I agree that they will have little impact on the other cruisers (other than dining time and a function or two). They seem to have their own tours set up for the various ports.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I'm a member of the Social Security set and always ask for 8 P.M. dining. ;) Not every senior goes for the early bird special. :D

I'm a member of the Social Security set and always ask for 8 P.M. dining. ;) Not every senior goes for the early bird special. :D

I was meaning more in relation to the horrific upcoming Westerdam cruise where no one can enter the MDR after 6:30 unless they are some specific group. :)

How do you find out if groups are on your cruise?

CJCruzer has a thread every month with updated information: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2142710

You can also try googling the ship name and date of your cruise. It takes a while to sort through all the TA offerings but you will, hopefully, find the group's website.

2 different cruises are getting mixed up in posts on this thread. The cruise with dining for regular pax closed after 6:30 is on Jan. 17th. THIS thread with the Road Scholars group is about the cruise on Jan. 23rd OP says and doesn't have a dining problem.

Actually, true and false!!:rolleyes:

It is true that two threads are being referred to on this thread. (I've also been following the other thread, so it wasn't confusing to me).

But it is false that there is no dining problem on the Jan. 23 cruise---for anyone who wants early dining! We reserved 6 months ago and no early dining available. This has never happened to us before. We will deal with it, but that could be a problem for some.

Noticed the same group booked for the Feb. 2 and Feb. 23 cruises (Zuiderdam).

Actually, true and false!!:rolleyes:

It is true that two threads are being referred to on this thread. (I've also been following the other thread, so it wasn't confusing to me).

But it is false that there is no dining problem on the Jan. 23 cruise---for anyone who wants early dining! We reserved 6 months ago and no early dining available. This has never happened to us before. We will deal with it, but that could be a problem for some.

Noticed the same group booked for the Feb. 2 and Feb. 23 cruises (Zuiderdam).

I booked my May cruise in early October and early dining was not available. Fortunately, we did get confirmed for early dining within a month. It may be too late for a Jan cruise but I would still try again if you really want early dining.

Are you sure got the right place?

RHODE SCHOLAR

What is a Rhodes Scholar? Who was Rhodes?

The Answer:

A Rhodes scholar is someone who has been awarded a Rhodes scholarship. The world's oldest fellowship program, Rhodes scholarships provide students with two years of study (with an option for a third) at Oxford University in England.

The program was established in the will of British-born financier and statesman Cecil J. Rhodes who graduated from Oxford in 1881 and died in 1902. Rhodes outlined a plan that would bring students from different countries and cultures to Oxford in the hopes that their interactions would promote international understanding and peace.

Rhodes' first plan included nine countries. Since then, the program has expanded to include Australia, Bangladesh, Bermuda, Canada, the Commonwealth Caribbean, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Singapore, South Africa, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

The United States, which handed out its first Rhodes scholarship in 1904, recognizes 32 Rhodes scholars each year, making it the largest delegation.

Candidates from close to 300 U.S. colleges and universities apply each year. Selection committees in each of the 50 states nominate students and it's up to regional committees decide who will receive the 32 scholarships

Read more: What is a Rhodes Scholar? | Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/rhodes-scholar.html#ixzz3OEo7Y52k

Can you imagine a bunch of Rhodes Scholars coming as a group (several times a year) on various cruises?!:D:eek:

Nah... no worse than quilters!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm Ok with that... my sister is a quilter. I know she did came on one HAL quilter cruise.... still talks about 'ice wine'!!! Must have been fun.

Stephen

Nah... no worse than quilters!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm Ok with that... my sister is a quilter. I know she did came on one HAL quilter cruise.... still talks about 'ice wine'!!! Must have been fun.

Stephen

I still haven't been on a quilting cruise but I'll get a sample of it because, on my upcoming cruise, I have both a group of quilters AND the Road Scholars!!

I still haven't been on a quilting cruise but I'll get a sample of it because, on my upcoming cruise, I have both a group of quilters AND the Road Scholars!!

Well, I guess you can have some fun with one group and good conversations with the other group.:)

No, but they seem to affect the early dining times!

We normally book 6 months or so ahead. On all the lines we've cruised the early fixed seating seems to fill up early.

It doesn't affect us since we prefer late fixed seating but simply an observation we've made.:)