Sleeping baby in Solarium - okay?

but you can be damn sure I WOULD say something about a child, sleeping or otherwise, who intruded into an adult only space.

intruded, lol.. will the baby be thrown off the ship as a result of this intrusion.

proves just how many people love to complain out there.. you'd complain about a sleeping baby.. i would agree if the baby was loud and annoying. but a sleeping baby, wow...

since i am younger with a younger family (also a new member on the forum)i am amazed the amount of people on here who i guess you could say age discriminate against infants and children.. its mind blowing. thread after thread i read it..

and for what its worth we do a decent amount of cruising.. some of the nastiest, rudest people i have come across on ships are the "seniors" who think they are entitled to everything. i would guess some of the same age group on here that constantly talks bad about children..

Good morning all. I hope everyone has a nice hot cup of coffee, tea, or anything that can thaw them out:D

Can anyone provide me or link me to the actual Solarium policies? That would be helpful. We are data driven, rational people. Being able to definitively show GF's sister the information may "head it off at the pass". Whatever the rules may be, I would be happy to pass along, as long as they are from the company and not just opinion-based.

I was able to find this guest conduct policy but it only relates to the pools and tubs, but I can certainly see how anyone looking for information might think it okay to have a child in the Solarium as long as they don't use the pools or tubs.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf

On Allure what is the proximity of Solarium Bistro to the Solarium itself? Maybe we can find a table in a corner there out of the sun to eat, have some drinks, and play some cards while the baby naps in the stroller? Is that on the second story of the Solarium? Photos of the area would be helpful.

Best (and warmth)-

Steve

Try the FAQ

It's quite clear

This applies to all ships in the fleet.

Q: Is there anything new about the Solarium?

A: As with our Oasis class, the Solarium is located at the front of the ship, where we are able to provide guests with a fantastic view of the sky and sea. The adults-only space will offer all the features our guests love and, new to Quantum Class, a series of cascading lagoons in the center of the Solarium, where guests can swim as well as in the main pool.

I used the Solarium a few times last month and I did see a few kids come in to "check-in" with their folks and then high-tail it out of there.

It wouldn't bother me if someone had a sleeping baby in there but I don't typically care what others are doing. As you can see by the responses on this board there are some that will report an infraction... so your GF's sister should be prepared to be asked to leave if she does decide that she is going to disregard the rules.

Behind the main pool on the Allure after the towel station and before the Solarium there is a good deal of shade and it is much quieter...only problem is it is also the smoking area.

Edited by Wilda

Try the FAQ

It's quite clear

This applies to all ships in the fleet.

Q: Is there anything new about the Solarium?

A: As with our Oasis class, the Solarium is located at the front of the ship, where we are able to provide guests with a fantastic view of the sky and sea. The adults-only space will offer all the features our guests love and, new to Quantum Class, a series of cascading lagoons in the center of the Solarium, where guests can swim as well as in the main pool.

The guest conduct policy has this line in it.

"

For purposes of this Guest Conduct Policy, a minor is defined as anyone under the age of 18. A young adult is defined as anyone ages 18, 19 or

20. Parents and guardians are responsible for the behavior and appropriate supervision of their accompanying minor(s) and young adult(s)

throughout their vacation"

If the Solarium allows 16 year olds and up it is not adults only...

Then again the very same guest conduct policy a page or two further in says there is a corkage fee and we know it has been done away with. Clear to me. Clear as mud that is!

Why can't they ever put these policies in plain speak and in consistent, easy to find ways. Half the questions on this board are about how to interpret policies and it's no wonder given how vague and inconsistent they are.

since i am younger with a younger family (also a new member on the forum)i am amazed the amount of people on here who i guess you could say age discriminate against infants and children.. its mind blowing. thread after thread i read it..

and for what its worth we do a decent amount of cruising.. some of the nastiest, rudest people i have come across on ships are the "seniors" who think they are entitled to everything. i would guess some of the same age group on here that constantly talks bad about children..

I like it. When you have a bad defense, always go on the offense. :D You don't know who any of these posters are so your making assumptions. By the way, how is asking someone to abide by a rule considered discrimination? Happy sailing! ;)

intruded, lol.. will the baby be thrown off the ship as a result of this intrusion. merely removed from the area which they are not allowed/welcome . you have 98% of the ship open and welcoming to kids to hang out in. do you REALLY need that last 2%?! are you SOO selfish and greedy that you cannot conceive any scenario whatsoever that your precious little darling is not welcome nor appropriate?!

not every one thinks kids are the center of the universe and are entitled to have every exception in the world made for them. Sorry parents, but not everything is about the kids and catering to their needs and desires 24/7

you have kids you have to make the sacrifices that go along iwth that..and that means passing on the adult only experiences sometimes

some people think kids in general are NOT cute, adorable and worthy of special treatment at any time.

it doesn't help that many if not most kids these days are being poorly raised with no respect for boundaries, others or anything other than an self absorbed self entitled me me me attitude

I like it. When you have a bad defense, always go on the offense. :D You don't know who any of these posters are so your making assumptions. By the way, how is asking someone to abide by a rule considered discrimination? Happy sailing! ;)

actually i think the offense is most on here with the anti child campaign.. so i dont think i am on the offense.

its not just this one post there have been several where people has posted in response to others "keep your kid" out of specialty restaurants.

and to use your mentality, you don't everyone who has children on here. and to paint them all with the same brush is bad assumption...

not every one thinks kids are the center of the universe and are entitled to have every exception in the world made for them. Sorry parents, but not everything is about the kids and catering to their needs and desires 24/7

you have kids you have to make the sacrifices that go along iwth that..and that means passing on the adult only experiences sometimes

some people think kids in general are NOT cute, adorable and worthy of special treatment at any time.

it doesn't help that many if not most kids these days are being poorly raised with no respect for boundaries, others or anything other than an self absorbed self entitled me me me attitude

no one said kids should be the universe. like i said in the above comment, i see posts all the time on here, keep your kid in daycare, dont bring them here dont bring them there.. so at that point you are now the center of the universe also, which doesnt fly..

i pay for my kids fare just like you pay for yours, if i want to enjoy X with them i will..

i do agree with you most parents now could care less about how they raise there kids. all they care about is facebook, twitter, there new iphone mean while there child is climbing up the curtains. so you do have a point but its also a two way street. like i said ive had more problems with adults particularly the older they get be rude, act entitled, be all around disrespectful then children on a cruise ship...

Good morning all. I hope everyone has a nice hot cup of coffee, tea, or anything that can thaw them out:D

Can anyone provide me or link me to the actual Solarium policies? That would be helpful. We are data driven, rational people. Being able to definitively show GF's sister the information may "head it off at the pass". Whatever the rules may be, I would be happy to pass along, as long as they are from the company and not just opinion-based.

I was able to find this guest conduct policy but it only relates to the pools and tubs, but I can certainly see how anyone looking for information might think it okay to have a child in the Solarium as long as they don't use the pools or tubs.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf

On Allure what is the proximity of Solarium Bistro to the Solarium itself? Maybe we can find a table in a corner there out of the sun to eat, have some drinks, and play some cards while the baby naps in the stroller? Is that on the second story of the Solarium? Photos of the area would be helpful.

Best (and warmth)-

Steve

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=319&faqSubjectName=Ships+&faqId=5826

By Royal's policy an adult is 21+, so the Solarium allows some minors and young adults access to everything in the Solarium. Like mud I tells ya.

...proves just how many people love to complain out there.. you'd complain about a sleeping baby.. i would agree if the baby was loud and annoying. but a sleeping baby, wow...

When I read the title, I thought that no one would be complaining about a sleeping infant. Needless to say, I was wrong. I am amazed at the number of negative posts, those who have quoted the rules, (etc., etc).

I am a senior citizen. I certainly hope that I do not snore when I take a nap in the solarium!:rolleyes:

When I read the title, I thought that no one would be complaining about a sleeping infant. Needless to say, I was wrong. I am amazed at the number of negative posts, those who have quoted the rules, (etc., etc).

I am a senior citizen. I certainly hope that I do not snore when I take a nap in the solarium!:rolleyes:

There is no rules against Snoring dont worry. :D

Some choose adults-only places not only to get away from noisy children but also not to see children. We started cruising at a point in our lives where even the sight of babies was extremely painful for us. Adults-only places were our safe refuge. Yes, we were in the minority, but when others go there expecting it to be only adults, it's fair to everyone if you keep it that way.

Ah. Been there last year in that same predicament. People certainly gave me the awful stare so I left. Here's a great tip...The jogging track is a little known secret that I discovered about 3 days in. On the aft there are rocking chairs. It is so beyond peaceful with the waves crashing. My daughter would conk out for a good 3 hours while I read a book in the rocking chair. It is actually quieter than the solarium. Good luck :)

intruded, lol.. will the baby be thrown off the ship as a result of this intrusion.

proves just how many people love to complain out there.. you'd complain about a sleeping baby.. i would agree if the baby was loud and annoying. but a sleeping baby, wow...

Sleeping baby: Consider that even without being asked many make a special effort be quiet to avoid waking sleeping baby. As the solarium is adults only, no body should have to expend such special effort.

Slippery slope: If sleeping infant is OK, how about sleeping toddler, sleeping pre-school child, sleeping school age child? If a sleeping baby/child is OK, what about a sleepy baby/ child, a quiet baby/child, a well behaved baby/child? If there are to be any adult only spaces, a firm line must be drawn; the powers that be have drawn that line at 16 years.

"Age Discriminate": Royal Caribbean treats families well. Many features of ships and programs are designed for kids and for families. Yet you can suggest they are discriminating against the little ones? That is funny. Still if the really think there is discrimination, complain th the company. And do not forget to complain the Disney cruise lines, too; catering even more to kids and families, DCL has adult spaces. Let us know how those age discrimination complaints go;)

Guessing ages: Such guesses might prove you to be a fool. I have encountered rude people on ships. As many people on ships are seniors, unsurprisingly some of the rude people are seniors. Some are young parents.

Ah. Been there last year in that same predicament. People certainly gave me the awful stare so I left. Here's a great tip...The jogging track is a little known secret that I discovered about 3 days in. On the aft there are rocking chairs. It is so beyond peaceful with the waves crashing. My daughter would conk out for a good 3 hours while I read a book in the rocking chair. It is actually quieter than the solarium. Good luck :)

Even better than that, I like deck 4 (Freedom class) or whatever deck # the Promenade deck is. Its like one gigantic balcony and is probably the most under utilized place on the entire ship. MUCH MUCH quieter than the Solarium and its shaded.

9eff1751.jpg

Edited by ryano

There are approx. 6000 guests, rules are rules, you cant say yes to some and no to others. I wouldn't mind 1 sleeping baby. But then there would be 10 sleeping babies, then 20 and so on.

I have to mostly agree with this post. The last part (20 sleeping babies!) may be be a bit of an exaggeration, but I do see the point of the post. :)

Some of us have chosen a non 2 legged kid life, and we ask that if established rules are written; they are to be Honored and Respected without Exception or to be Challenged. Accept the rules and if you want different go to Disney or all hangout at the kid zone or Royal Tot the baby.

FYI: Disney just kicked an infant off their ship claiming illness, and apparently Disney has changed there age rules as of the new year for traveling on their ships. The Parents are challenging and probably suing.

I am personally beyond tired of being forced to put up with screaming whining little terrorists on a daily basis that are not mine. Society says I have to deal and put up with it cause it is a baby.

What does this have to do with the subject at hand?:confused:

Someone posted that it says Adults Only. But the Solarium let's anyone 16 or older use everything in the Solarium. But in their guest conduct policy Royal says 16 and 17 are minors, and 18, 19, 20 and young adults. So, like I said, clear as mud. Inconsistency in policies and definitions.

Is it an issue for us to all spend time in the Solarium if the baby is asleep? If the baby is awake and making noise, parent(s) and baby leave

I am personally beyond tired of being forced to put up with screaming whining little terrorists on a daily basis that are not mine.

Hope you two aren't on the same cruise!

Someone posted that it says Adults Only. But the Solarium let's anyone 16 or older use everything in the Solarium. But in their guest conduct policy Royal says 16 and 17 are minors, and 18, 19, 20 and young adults. So, like I said, clear as mud. Inconsistency in policies and definitions.

Something no one has brought up yet:

What if the sleeping baby is wearing their RCCL robe to the Solarium???

:D:D:D

I agree though - language is inconsistent

OP here is the Solarium Bistro. It's connected to the Solarium, but not fully opened into the Solarium. All ages are welcome here for breakfast and lunch. No "rules" violated using this space with a baby whatsoever.

RCI_Oasis_SolariumBistro_096.jpg

Edited by LMaxwell

Sleeping baby: Consider that even without being asked many make a special effort be quiet to avoid waking sleeping baby. As the solarium is adults only, no body should have to expend such special effort.

Slippery slope: If sleeping infant is OK, how about sleeping toddler, sleeping pre-school child, sleeping school age child? If a sleeping baby/child is OK, what about a sleepy baby/ child, a quiet baby/child, a well behaved baby/child? If there are to be any adult only spaces, a firm line must be drawn; the powers that be have drawn that line at 16 years.

"Age Discriminate": Royal Caribbean treats families well. Many features of ships and programs are designed for kids and for families. Yet you can suggest they are discriminating against the little ones? That is funny. Still if the really think there is discrimination, complain th the company. And do not forget to complain the Disney cruise lines, too; catering even more to kids and families, DCL has adult spaces. Let us know how those age discrimination complaints go;)

Guessing ages: Such guesses might prove you to be a fool. I have encountered rude people on ships. As many people on ships are seniors, unsurprisingly some of the rude people are seniors. Some are young parents.

I read her post as people on this forum age discriminate against infant and children not the cruise line.

I have a child and if it's Adults Only she would not be allowed to go since she is a child. No big deal.

Yes, I understand all that but the subject is a baby. Now, if we were discussing what Royal Caribbean considers a baby.....6 months, 10 months, etc. :D

I'm not going to split hairs or dissect their policies and any written inconsistencies there might be, if the sign at the Solarium says no one under 16, that's what it is.