Current Sanitisation measures in place on Diamond Princess

Just a quick update, mainly for people that have upcoming cruises.

I am currently on Diamond Princess. Full sanitation measures have been in place since the start of the cruise and will continue until the end of the cruise. No self serve in buffet, no cutlery, salt, sugar on tables, no bread on tables in dining rooms, kids activities reduced due to not being able to share things like crayons, crafts, etc. A letter early in the cruise was distributed to all cabins as well as the captain advising of noro outbreaks and precautions in place due to a higher than expected number of outbreaks on various ships over the last few weeks.This cruise has been restricted somewhat because of these measures, but no outbreaks of noro so they are achieving the right result.

I was on the xmas/ny cruise and no such procedures were in place, although there was a small outbreak of noro towards the end of the cruise affecting some passengers.

Hopefully on upcoming cruises restrictions are lifted so that full services can resume for passengers, but most importantly that noro also stays away.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Forums mobile app

they could be the same at home, dont wash their hands after being to the loo

Part of the check in process should be a hygiene exam, everyone has to use the loo before boarding and they can only board if they wash their hands thoroughly.:D

I'm assuming they give you the cutlery with the meal. Is that right?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes there is cutlery for those you want it.

I think you use your fingers:eek::p:D

Only some of the passengers.:p

Part of the check in process should be a hygiene exam, everyone has to use the loo before boarding and they can only board if they wash their hands thoroughly.:D

I volunteer not to be the one who stands around checking.:eek:

Sad when it comes to this. But a good example of the efforts cruise lines go to, to keep things running well.

I accept it may be inconvenient, and I guess a lot more work for the crew, but I am so glad that they take it so seriously.

Cutlery is being handed out by staff upon request or usually with an empty plate at entry of buffet.

Unfortunately it is a situation where there are few winners as staff (some not all) are starting to show signs of fatigue/distress due to the extra work imposed and passengers annoyed at the slow process and inability to decorate ones own plate.

I don't think I have been on a cruise where I have seen so much regular cleaning happening.

No noro on board as we speak however so Cruise Line making the correct calls.

Cutlery is being handed out by staff upon request or usually with an empty plate at entry of buffet.

Unfortunately it is a situation where there are few winners as staff (some not all) are starting to show signs of fatigue/distress due to the extra work imposed and passengers annoyed at the slow process and inability to decorate ones own plate.

I don't think I have been on a cruise where I have seen so much regular cleaning happening.

Good to hear that the efforts are working not so great about staff fatigue and passenger dis satisfaction though.

I have always taught my kids and now grandkids that they need to wash their hands long enough to sing through the happy birthday song. every small child knows happy birthday early enough in their life, certainly by the time they are able to handle going to the toilet themselves. The 5 year old adds 3 rounds of hip hip hoorays to her song.

I am amazed how many adults aren't aware of this very simple way of ensuring their hands get a decent wash with soap and water.

I do my best not to use the public toilets on the ship, prefer to take a walk back to my room, good to walk off what I have eaten that I shouldn't have too:);)

I have always taught my kids and now grandkids that they need to wash their hands long enough to sing through the happy birthday song. every small child knows happy birthday early enough in their life, certainly by the time they are able to handle going to the toilet themselves. The 5 year old adds 3 rounds of hip hip hoorays to her song.

I am amazed how many adults aren't aware of this very simple way of ensuring their hands get a decent wash with soap and water.

I do my best not to use the public toilets on the ship, prefer to take a walk back to my room, good to walk off what I have eaten that I shouldn't have too:);)

The thing is, it is not good enough to just wash hands after using the loo but more importantly to wash hands prior to eating (even if cutlery is being used).:D

Yes, it puts a real burden on staff.

As you say, it's not just the time but also inflexibility. When someone is serving you, it's much harder and longer to customise what you want. I wound up getting often too much and sometimes too little of what was desired. I imagine wastage also increases.

Anyone thought that staff may also be doing the wrong thing and spreading it around too! So handing out cutlery by a staff member even if they wear gloves (anyone seen glove procedure of some) it's kinda pointless really!

Edited by bubbles2014

We were on the Xmas cruise to NZ on Dawn and the cruise immediately before ours had an extensive outbreak of noro virus with 400 plus passengers going down with it

Our boarding in Melbourne was delayed several hours while the crew sanitised the ship top to bottom

For the first 2 days everything in the buffet was served to you and bread and butter were removed from the MDR tables and served to you by the waiters

It was a relief when these restrictions were lifted

Never the less my wife came down with "norovirus" one day out of Auckland and I copped it the night we left -Auckland we were quarantined in each case to 24 hours to the cabin. The "hit squad" sanitised our cabin three times a Day and the nurse visited us regularly

Strangely enough our paperwork showed us diagnosed with"acute gastroenteritis" and NOT NOROVIRUS. (It's the same thing anyway)

I wondered that by this time and from the negative media publicity from he previous cruise if the powers that be on the ship may have declared " Norovirus" to be a dirty word if it got out again that it had not been completely eliminated and decided to use "gastroenteritis" instead

The precautions the staff took to prevent any further outbreak could not be faulted. They have to be commended for what they were doing. How we contracted it remains a mystery but call it norovirus or gastroenteritis I was bloody crook for two days anyway

The medical staff also need a big tick for the care we were given

Despite all of that we still enjoyed the cruise

Jocelyn & John

Never the less my wife came down with "norovirus" one day out of Auckland and I copped it the night we left -Auckland we were quarantined in each case to 24 hours to the cabin. The "hit squad" sanitised our cabin three times a Day and the nurse visited us regularly

Strangely enough our paperwork showed us diagnosed with"acute gastroenteritis" and NOT NOROVIRUS. (It's the same thing anyway)

Just wondering how much does the visits to the medical centre cost and do you get charged for the nurse to visit the cabin?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cruisine21