Grand vs. Star/Hawaii

Jaddy

Our cruising experience has been limited to Celebrity. We are seriously considering a 15 day cruise to Hawaii on Grand (from Los Angeles) or Star (from San Francisco). Both have dates that work for us and the prices seem comparable.

This is probably pretty subjective, but we would like to receive input from you as to what might be the preferable cruise. In case it makes a difference, we will probably book an inside stateroom.

BTW, we do follow the Celebrity message board and you would perhaps find it interesting to know that in general Princess finds favorable mention there. It appears that many of the Celebrity loyalists also book Princess with great frequency. That good reference has led us to think of Princess for our upcoming cruise.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Whichever one has David Cole as the Cruise Director, and Eula (am I spelling it right?) as the Aloha Spirit couple.

But especially David Cole. (I think he is on the Star right now - does anyone know?)

Maddle

Whichever one has David Cole as the Cruise Director, and Eula (am I spelling it right?) as the Aloha Spirit couple.

But especially David Cole. (I think he is on the Star right now - does anyone know?)

Maddle

I recently read that EULA is not on either ship leaving from the coast. I don't remember exactly but it seems they are on some pacific cruises that go to Hawaii. We had them on two cruises. One was on a Tahiti to Hawaii cruise. The other was on a cruise to no where just before they left on a cruise to Hawaii.

Also, if you search there is a tread that keep up with what CD is on which ship. If I find it I will post here.

ELUA - Back on the Grand February 2, 17, March 4. Not sure if the Grand will be going to Hawaii after that.

Dave Cole will be leaving the Star at the end of January and starting on the Grand March 4.

March 4 would be my pick. Then you will have both Dave Cole (CD) and ELUA. CD Dave gives the best port talks and Monarchy lectures ever. Plus they are all pretty wonderful folk.

Looks like the Grand will be doing Coastals starting in the middle of March.

You take your chances for 2015/2016 season. Hard to tell where Princess will place these terrific Hawaii Cultural Ambassadors.

We are just back from the STAR's holiday cruise and agree Dave Cole is great. He gives great island talks without any advertising. The one thing he did mention was the Beach Hut at Kauai, a short walk from the ship, best fries in the world. Ha! I thought (I don't even like fries much). He was right.

ELUA - Back on the Grand February 2, 17, March 4. Not sure if the Grand will be going to Hawaii after that.

Dave Cole will be leaving the Star at the end of January and starting on the Grand March 4.

March 4 would be my pick. Then you will have both Dave Cole (CD) and ELUA. CD Dave gives the best port talks and Monarchy lectures ever. Plus they are all pretty wonderful folk.

Looks like the Grand will be doing Coastals starting in the middle of March.

You take your chances for 2015/2016 season. Hard to tell where Princess will place these terrific Hawaii Cultural Ambassadors.

Grand - Vancouver/Hawaii/Vancouver, March 22 and April 6 with Elua on at least the March 22 trip (they have posted an advisory on roll call for that trip)

...VTX-Al

The STAR! We got off the Grand in late October and unfortunately she wasn't in good condition. We had air conditioning and plumbing problems. We did our best to have a good time regardless but it wasn't fun getting ready in a room that was 80 plus degrees for dinner. My Dad was on the next cruise after us and had the air problems topped off with tough plumbing issues. They had to use public bathrooms for 3 of their cruise days. :eek:

We just got off the Star last Saturday as well, and had a great cruise! However we would have liked to go to Alfredo's (pizza restaurant) which they have on the Grand, but not the Star.

As far as the ports go, San Francisco is a beautiful city, and the port is right downtown, in the heart of things. It's easy to arrive a couple of days early and tour. In Los Angeles the port is in San Pedro and there isn't much around the immediate port area.

We had some serious issues with the San Francisco longshoremen on our recent cruise, stemming from them attempting to extort money from people dropping off luggage (i.e. 'we will not put your luggage onboard unless you pay us this much'). There was an altercation when a Princess officer overheard and told them they couldn't do that, which resulted in a work stoppage and an 'accidentally on purpose' set of bags being dropped into the water. However the recent cruise that left Saturday apparently had no luggage issues, so it's possible this was a one time thing and Princess has managed to work it out with the appropriate authorities. We have sailed out of San Pedro many times and never had any delays or 'luggage issues' from the port.

We have done the Hawaiian cruise from both ports, and there was one huge advantage to doing it from SF that we hadn't anticipated. On the SF cruises, Ensenada comes first, before the Hawaiian islands. So when we reached Hilo (our first Hawaiian port) we went through a customs/immigration check which was very fast and easy. Then when we got back to San Francisco, there was nothing, since we had not been 'out of the country' since Hilo. It was a very smooth and easy disembarkation! From LA, Ensenada is the last port, and as such you must go through customs and immigration after disembarking.

FWIW, we are elite on both Princess and Celebrity, and enjoy both lines. I think you will have a great time trying out Princess!

Edited by helenb

That SF evil porters story seems to get more sinister with each telling.

LOL!! That made me laugh!

Anyhow, my vote is for SF as well (for obvious reasons if you look where I live :D).

But with all seriousness, we have also done both cruises and loved the one out of Los Angeles on the Golden and so booked one out of SF on the Star. While the one on the Star just started off wrong and we had problems throughout the cruise (some of which were of my own making), I would still choose her again just to sail out of San Francisco.

When sailing out of Los Angeles, nothing is very spectacular....plus, nothing right near the port to explore except the nearby ship, which looks interesting but then that is it. When sailing out of SF, it is right in the city and you get to sail under the Golden Gate ... which never gets old no matter how many times I do it.

LOL!! That made me laugh!

Anyhow, my vote is for SF as well (for obvious reasons if you look where I live :D).

But with all seriousness, we have also done both cruises and loved the one out of Los Angeles on the Golden and so booked one out of SF on the Star. While the one on the Star just started off wrong and we had problems throughout the cruise (some of which were of my own making), I would still choose her again just to sail out of San Francisco.

When sailing out of Los Angeles, nothing is very spectacular....plus, nothing right near the port to explore except the nearby ship, which looks interesting but then that is it. When sailing out of SF, it is right in the city and you get to sail under the Golden Gate ... which never gets old no matter how many times I do it.

The first time I sailed was on the USS Upshur out of SF Bay going overseas. He were were on a MATS ship with a bunch of GI's and with Tony Bennett singing in my head and it was still romantic.

On the SF cruises, Ensenada comes first, before the Hawaiian islands. So when we reached Hilo (our first Hawaiian port) we went through a customs/immigration check which was very fast and easy. Then when we got back to San Francisco, there was nothing, since we had not been 'out of the country' since Hilo.

FWIW, we are elite on both Princess and Celebrity, and enjoy both lines. I think you will have a great time trying out Princess!

I'm booked on a Nov, 2015 Hawaiian cruise on the Grand out of SF and we go to Ensenada last, then one sea day before returning to SF. So, each cruise must be different.

And Elua will not be on our sailing. :( You should check each sailing individually to see who is the CD and enrichment person. You can also go to Elua's facebook page to see what they're up to.

I sail both Princess and Celebrity - prefer Princess but enjoy Celebrity too. Each offer different things I like and each have some things I don't like as well. So I go by itinerary and price, knowing that I'll enjoy either. :D

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Another vote for any ship with David Cole and Elua--both add immensely to the Hawaiian cultural experience. However, we loved the Star when we cruised to Hawaii on her and sailing out of SF would be much preferable to San Pedro IMHO.

AZbeachboy (Jim), I did the USNS Upshur T-AP 198 in 1960. Leghorn (Livorno), Italy to Fort Hamilton, NY and it took 14 days of miserable weather to cross the Atlantic. I had the best job on the ship. I washed baby bottles for 3 hours, daily. All the other troops were sick in their racks and I was up in the dependent section. Those were memorable days. Stan

How often does the Hawaii cruise out of SF go to Ensenada first? I don't think I've ever seem it listed that way. I think I prefer going there first so I could still be looking forward to Hawaii and enjoy more sea days in the beginning. Anybody know of any listed sailings where it is that way?

How often does the Hawaii cruise out of SF go to Ensenada first? I don't think I've ever seem it listed that way. I think I prefer going there first so I could still be looking forward to Hawaii and enjoy more sea days in the beginning. Anybody know of any listed sailings where it is that way?

Stopping in Ensenada first and then going to Hilo shortens your stay in Hilo. Remember, all 2500 passengers need to clear immigration in a town that is really not set up to do this. It is already a tight squeeze to get everything you wanted to do done while in Hilo.

I would much prefer to do Ensenada last since I am never in a hurry to leave the ship.

Hi

We did the Star out of LA in 2014, and were lucky to have Eula and David Cole. We loved both the ship and the Hawaiian cultural program. We have sailed on the Emerald, Coral, and the Star. While we loved the Coral, the Star became our favourite.

So, when a cruise came up this year, on March 22, we grabbed it, because it is Van-Van, so no flights for us! It is on the Grand, and we later found out that both Eula and David Cole will be on our sailing. BONUS!

Have not sailed on the Grand before, but expecting to love it..as we have an aft corner cabin on Caribe. We are not picky about wear and tear..as long as it is clean, we are happy campers. Whichever you choose, you will have a great time.

We haven't sailed on either the Star or Grand, but for next year's Hawaiian cruise I chose the Star because I wanted to surprise DW, since this will be our first cruise as Elites, by booking the Grand Suite. Since the Grand suite on the Star is aft view, it was a no brainer for me to pick the Star. It will mean flying r/t to Vancouver from LAX instead of going to San Pedro but I'd rather have the aft view Grand Suite.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

We haven't sailed on either the Star or Grand, but for next year's Hawaiian cruise I chose the Star because I wanted to surprise DW, since this will be our first cruise as Elites, by booking the Grand Suite. Since the Grand suite on the Star is aft view, it was a no brainer for me to pick the Star. It will mean flying r/t to Vancouver from LAX instead of going to San Pedro but I'd rather have the aft view Grand Suite.....:):):)

Bob

Bob, Congratulations on booking the Grand Suite (aft viewing) on the Star! I hope that DW is sufficiently pleased and impressed with her DH! LOL :p

Enjoy every day and let us know how it was! :D

Just Mike

Our cruising experience has been limited to Celebrity. We are seriously considering a 15 day cruise to Hawaii on Grand (from Los Angeles) or Star (from San Francisco). Both have dates that work for us and the prices seem comparable.

This is probably pretty subjective, but we would like to receive input from you as to what might be the preferable cruise. In case it makes a difference, we will probably book an inside stateroom.

BTW, we do follow the Celebrity message board and you would perhaps find it interesting to know that in general Princess finds favorable mention there. It appears that many of the Celebrity loyalists also book Princess with great frequency. That good reference has led us to think of Princess for our upcoming cruise.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I am doing this cruise for the first time this March. I chose the Star for two main reasons. The ship has Skywalkers and is newer and just out of a mini refurbushing and also leaves from SF. We always travel in one to two days before the cruise and SF is just so much more fun and interesting. LA's port (we did a full Panama transit from there a few years ago) is an industrial port and with nothing really nearby.

Pooh