Owner strips for Ausssie plugs

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SurgePlus-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector/dp/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420665938&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+surge+protector+with+usb

I am looking for a version of this for Australian plugs.

Also want one that does not emit lots of bright blue light at night.

Can anyone direct me to a source.?

TIA

Jules

I've used one of these for the past 18 months. It does emit some light but isn't too bad. It's quite compact for travel. I took it aboard the Sun Princess last month, in my carry-on, with no problems.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/mort-bay-powerboard-surgeprot-2way-2usb-prt-wndup-cord_p4331031

Note - the packaging mentions surge protection but there is nothing about surge protection actually on the powerboard ;)

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Wow bad predictive texts in last post, sorry. Meant to write that I would never buy second hand electrical products on ebay, but there are a lot of vendors who sell new products, very convenient rather than traipsing all over town looking for one.

Thanks all.

The particular link I first posted was provided by several frequent cruisers on the Celebrirty forum (we are booked with Equinox).

I have never cruised therefore relying on the experience of others.

It is all a wee bit confusing......

Jules

Ebay is a great place for merchants to clear non-standard, non- approved electrical stuff.

Should be okay for branded items e.g. from Belkin. Was referring to things like no-name converters, adapters which can be highly non-compliant with standards.

There have been a few deaths recent years from such stuff so it doesn’t seem worth it if you’re not sure, just to save a few dollars.

This is the nifty travel board I have been travelling with for about 4 or 5 years now. 2 sockets and 2 USB ports. Cable wraps up into the unit.

It was permitted on Radiance of the Seas in Nov and all the polar ships I have been on.

Its handy as it doesnt depend on the location or angle of the sockets in any cabin. Some can be right down at desk level so cant take plugs shaped too low etc. A pain !

http://www.ji.com.au/products/PT2USB/

Friend got the bigger one with 4 and 4 but the 2 and 2 suits my needs.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at USB chargers is to check the total output across the USB ports. The Jackson one linked above for instance is only 1 amp which would mean ½ amp if you plug in two devices. As a general rule an iPad type device likes 2 amps and iPhones 1 amp. Your phones may charge on ½ amp but it will take longer. iPads may even come up with an error message if the power is insufficient and not charge at all. I have even seen chargers that offer 4 USB ports but only supply 1 Amp which is practically useless!

I think I have linked to this one before as a good example if you want to charge up devices quickly and it also comes with overseas travel plugs - http://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-adaptor-with-usb-charger-4-2a-world-travel-pack-white-_p4420393

Note the 4.2 Amps means you can charge 2 iPads at the same time from the USB ports plus a third device from your original charger. It will also fit in power plugs that are positioned close to a desk or a floor as is often found in hotel rooms and cruise ships. And no I don't work for Bunnings - I just speak from experience as a dad with a family who has a lot of gadgets!

This is the nifty travel board I have been travelling with for about 4 or 5 years now. 2 sockets and 2 USB ports. Cable wraps up into the unit.

It was permitted on Radiance of the Seas in Nov and all the polar ships I have been on.

Its handy as it doesnt depend on the location or angle of the sockets in any cabin. Some can be right down at desk level so cant take plugs shaped too low etc. A pain !

http://www.ji.com.au/products/PT2USB/

Friend got the bigger one with 4 and 4 but the 2 and 2 suits my needs.

That's almost identical to the one I got at Bunnings.

I haven't had any problems charging multiple USB devices on it - android phones, kindles, MP3 player. I usually carry a small standalone USB charger with a regular plug which I often plug in so that we can have 3 USB devices charging at once, otherwise the regular plugs are used for my camera battery charger and laptops.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

That's almost identical to the one I got at Bunnings.

I haven't had any problems charging multiple USB devices on it - android phones, kindles, MP3 player. I usually carry a small standalone USB charger with a regular plug which I often plug in so that we can have 3 USB devices charging at once, otherwise the regular plugs are used for my camera battery charger and laptops.

Yes its a really nify one and I fully tested it out long before its first trip.

Generally I have a Macbook Air in one powerpoint, Canon battery charger in the other. iPhone in one USB, and another camera batter charger in the other USB.

All charge up at the exact same speed that they do alone or in a normal power point at home. Have never had issues with it being "half strength" nor any error messages on any of the Apple products.

And having the power cable allows for those times (I can think of 4 different hotels off hand) where the only power outlet is in a stupid location like behind a desk or under a bed. With the cable you can at least make it more accessible for reaching and plugging everything in.

Edited by PerfectlyPerth

The TV USB port will charge items when turned on also. Not sure what amps it puts out, but all you need is your data cable then. It worked for us with the flat screen on Solstice recently. We just tried it quickly, but generally used this below. That small blue light between the usb ports did put out quite a glow, which we liked, so the room is not completely dark. How about taking a bit of blue tack to put over the blue light?

3c2d14a5-5d15-4d95-badc-a12028279294.jpg

Edited by goodycruising

The TV USB port will charge items when turned on also. Not sure what amps it puts out, but all you need is your data cable then. It worked for us with the flat screen on Solstice recently. We just tried it quickly, but generally used this below. That small blue light between the usb ports did put out quite a glow, which we liked, so the room is not completely dark. How about taking a bit of blue tack to put over the blue light?

The one at coles is similar but with international plugs included, I didn't notice if it had the blue light but when we have one herself usually drapes a hanky over it. Perhaps a small square of gaffer tape mght do the trick too.

I found some LIKE this in Big W.

They have either US or European plugs so no converter needed, take Aussie plugs and HAVE NO BLUE LIGHT!!!!! One power plug and two USBs.

They were about ?$17 each?

Raina

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SurgePlus-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector/dp/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420665938&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+surge+protector+with+usb

I am looking for a version of this for Australian plugs.

Also want one that does not emit lots of bright blue light at night.

Can anyone direct me to a source.?

TIA

Jules

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BELKIN-Notebook-2-Way-Power-Surge-Protector-Board-with-USB-DC-Charger-Port-/270629319840?pt=AU_Laptop_Accessories&hash=item3f02c3b4a0

Bought this exact unit back in 2013,have cruised may times with it and also travelled through Europe. Best part is that you can rotate the pins to plug into the socket vertical or horizontal.

Cheers

Johhno