Breeze 12/28/14 NYE sailing It's a family affair

jimbo5544

By the time very one assembled in the lobby to get the platinum assist express down to deck zero to board the tender, CD Matt announced general debarking as we were getting on the tender. Just before exiting the ship one of our group realized they had forgotten their sign and sail card and B lined back up stairs to retrieve it. We decided to board and meet up on land.

As we waited for him on the next tender I could see it was going to be a busy day on Grand Cayman. As I looked back out to the Breeze, I saw not only the Breeze but three other ships.

We got a cab (big mini Van) and headed out to 7 mile Beach. The cab driver gave us a couple of options of places to stop. Our customary stop on seven mile beach has been the Royal Palms. The driver said with so many ships in that it was already pretty crowded and suggested a beach further down (the name escapes me) and we went with his suggestion. It was pretty crowded there as well, but was fine.

Here are some pics from the beach

33vydtd.jpg

We spent three hours on the beach before deciding to head back to the ship about 1:45, having had enough sun for the day. There was a van waiting and we boarded up quickly and headed back. It turned out go be a wise decision as it was probably the most congested road traffic I have ever seen in Grand Caymen. It took about 45 minutes for what was normally a 10 minute (or so) trip back to the dock.

We usually shop around the port, but everyone was hot so we headed back tot the tender. Boarding the tender was much quicker than normal, and before we knew it we were on our way back to the ship.

All of the adults wanted to go the Steakhouse in celebration of NYE. This would somewhat hard to do with 11 under the age of 8 (not all of which can be sent off to Camp Ocean). As a result we had decided to do two shifts and early one of 7 of us and the balance 18 at a later time of day.

We had this prearranged with the Steakhouse manager and all the bookings were set. We were part of the early group of 7. We love the Steakhouse. We partake of it at least once on every cruise we go on where they have a steakhouse. Sometimes we do 2 visits, going the first night of a cruise as well. The meal was great and we were treated to a very nice (read that as very expensive) bottle of wine by the group.

As they were serving dessert, glanced up and the rest of the crew, with kids in tow standing waiting to be seated (and for us to take the kids). We had prepaid the reservations, so we just needed to settle up on the wine bill and adding tips for the meal.

My wife took the kids so they could be seated, and once I had settled the bill to my satisfaction, I met her down in our cabin. two of the younger ones were already out and I stayed with them and she took the rest to the arcade for a spell and then on a walk around the ship. They all came collecting their kids around 10:30 and to be honest we were on the fence about participating in the celebration on the deck.

We decided to do it and worked our way back up there. The main pool area was packed and it was totally rocking. All of the lounge chairs had been removed and the pool area was packed! The DJ was playing tunes, everyone was definitely in it. Matt the CD was on the upper level keeping everyone at a frenzied pace.

As the countdown to midnight proceeded, the ships horn began sounding, everyone was jumping up and down and proceeding with the countdown. Servers were handing out tons of free champagne (yes in real glass). It was crazy, and it was fantastic.

We hung around for about an hour and the majority of us went down to our balcony. We had received 3 bottles of champagne as gifts (from various Carnival management from connections we have in celebration of family cruise) and we brought them out on the balcony to celebrate the new year.

The first two opened without incident and my son began pouring and as I opened the third one (pointing out to sea as I opened it) the wind instead of taking it out further, blew it back in and I heard a "hey" ring out on a lower balcony, further down towards the back of the ship. Ooopsss:o

We sat out there enjoying the ship slowly making it's way on to Cozumel, recounting the wonderful day we had all just had.

If anyone is contemplating going on a cruise for NYE celebration, I would heartily endorse it. We had a BLAST. The team on the ship went way above and beyond to make it a memorable evening and it surely was.

I am still trying to upload a video made on LIDO as part of the countdown which will give you an idea much better than I can describe in words of the NYE celebration.

Love the review! We went on the Breeze 8day (first ever cruise) may 2014, and then just last week decided to book the breeze again for may 2015 but the 6day this time. We can't wait to go on the breeze again and explore the same ports as you.

Thanks, it is a labor of love. I am sure many are getting sick of it. More coming tho....;) two more days.

Edited by jimbo5544