Food at embarkation

elcid79

Yes but it can be a total zoo. We prefer Bistro on 5 which has a $7 surcharge, well worth it to avoid the throngs

Used to be Bistro in 5 was open on embarkation day only for Elite Plus (and Zenith), right? Now it's open to all? That's great, as I like Bistro. The buffet is usually fine for embarkation day - I can find plenty of cheeses, salads, etc from which to choose...but it is a bit of pandemonium. Luckily I am in 1144 on Connie...so if I want, I can take my tray up to my veranda and eat (assuming the room is ready)!

Hello,

Does x serve a buffet upon embarkation? My wife and I are deciding if we should eat before heading to the ship.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. As others have said it may be a bit crowded but we can usually find a place to sit, especially if you go after 1PM when the cabins are available. Before then a lot of people hang out in the buffet as a waiting area. When you first enter the ship if the cabins are not ready you'll be directed to the buffet to wait but you do have full access to all public areas of the ship so it is a good time to explore.

One suggestion: If you ship is an M class or C class ship then do not get into line immediately when entering the buffet area. There are many lines and serving stations through out the buffet on the M class ships and Century but those new to these ships tend to get into line immediately at as then enter the doors making those lines far longer than any others in the buffet and also causing them to miss some much more appealing items at other serving stations. So take a tour completely around the buffet before deciding where to start. On the S class ships this is not an issue as the concept of serving stations on those ships is much more apparent.

Used to be Bistro in 5 was open on embarkation day only for Elite Plus (and Zenith), right? Now it's open to all? That's great, as I like Bistro. The buffet is usually fine for embarkation day - I can find plenty of cheeses, salads, etc from which to choose...but it is a bit of pandemonium. Luckily I am in 1144 on Connie...so if I want, I can take my tray up to my veranda and eat (assuming the room is ready)!

Bistro on 5 has always been available to all on embarkation day. That is where we always eat lunch the first day.

Edited by fortinweb

Perhaps you are thinking of something else, Bistro has always been open to everyone, it actually predates Elite plus and Zenith.

Perhaps you are thinking of something else, Bistro has always been open to everyone, it actually predates Elite plus and Zenith.

Bistro is not open to everyone if it's full.

Most relaxing way to begin a cruise is the MDR for lunch.

When plans go awry have a cocktail until cabins open and

crowds are lighter.

Penny

Yes it is. You may have to wait, but it is open if you are willing to wait for a table to become available.

However, it is not open to anyone who isn't booked on the cruise. :p

Edited by fortinweb

Most relaxing way to begin a cruise is the MDR for lunch.

When plans go awry have a cocktail until cabins open and

crowds are lighter.

Penny

I have never ever seen the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day. And I have never seen Bistro closed. Full, maybe, but not closed. We just put our names down, go enjoy a beverage and come back when they can accommodate us

I think all the posts advising people to go elsewhere for their embarkation lunch must be working.

We had our lunch at the MDR, and did not find it to be a zoo at all.

We also found it to be our best embarkation lunch yet. It baffles me while the embarkation lunch is never as good as all your other meals on the ship. We've had some horrible embarkation lunches (even those in the MDR). Everything always seems dry and reheated. Perhaps it is.

But overall celebrity was pretty good.

I think all the posts advising people to go elsewhere for their embarkation lunch must be working.

We had our lunch at the MDR, and did not find it to be a zoo at all.

We also found it to be our best embarkation lunch yet. It baffles me while the embarkation lunch is never as good as all your other meals on the ship. We've had some horrible embarkation lunches (even those in the MDR). Everything always seems dry and reheated. Perhaps it is.

But overall celebrity was pretty good.

Which Celebrity ship had their MDR (main dining room) open on embarkation day? I have been told the MDRs on ALL Celebrity ships are NOT open on embarkation day.

Which Celebrity ship had their MDR (main dining room) open on embarkation day? I have been told the MDRs on ALL Celebrity ships are NOT open on embarkation day.

Same question. I have never been on a Celebrity ship that had the MDR open on embarkation day.

add me to the list of folks who have never seen bistro on 5 even close to full on embarkation day. We've never had a problem, even on transatlantics with 700 elites who should know of the option. It seems that most just can't wait to get to the buffet and start eating everything in sight.

I believe I read that on at least one cruise, blu was open for lunch for aqua passengers. Not sure I've ever seen the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day.

Edited by ghstudio

sorry, that was a typo. We had our embarkation lunch at the buffet, which we did not find to be a zoo like others had noted.

add me to the list of folks who have never seen bistro on 5 even close to full on embarkation day. We've never had a problem, even on transatlantics with 700 elites who should know of the option. It seems that most just can't wait to get to the buffet and start eating everything in sight.

I believe I read that on at least one cruise, blu was open for lunch for aqua passengers. Not sure I've ever seen the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day.

Funny, it's happened to us twice. One time the maître d' was totally overwhelmed, kept telling people to go to the buffet! However, both of those instances were on transatlantics which I think in general have a higher percentage of experienced cruisers aboard who may know this trick. This past April, we had to wait about an hour but we had no problem doing that and just enjoyed watching everybody boarding

Same here. Usually half of the restaurant is empty during the time that I am dining. Usually between 12:30 PM and 1:30 PM. Both times on Transatlantic itineraries leaving Italy.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by vulcan1971

Holland America opens the MDR at lunch most of the time on embarkation day for its past passengers' Mariners Club members.

(Just about the only instance where their repeater program shines in comparison to Celebrity's. X has far better benefits overall in my opinion.)

I'm another fan of Bistro, though. So nice to relax there out of the hubbub on E day.

Edited by Caribbean Chris